mega Hi flyer 6x up scale build cert'ed L2 flew straight ,up ( thanks na sayers)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking build. Back about 16 years ago in my other rocket life. I started when I found out they make some gigantic motors called G80's. I had no body around me that was into rockets but I had done the estes stuff back in the 70's and had read the handbook of model rocketry many many times. So I got me a tube. I believe it had 1/4 inch walls. Then I started building. I made the cone out of a Styrofoam craft cone. Covered it with something can't remember what and cut the fins from plywood. I flew it on a G80 and then found the RMS motors and started flying those. It was loads of fun. Then I found a few other people that were of a like mind and we formed the first Kentucky prefecture. BluesRocks has come of that first club. What fun we had. and before I quit that time I was level 2 certified with a LOC Magnum on a J800.

I just ran across this thread. Looks like a good build so far. Your nose cone turned out great. Must have taken a lot of sanding. I, for one, would like to see more photos. Did you paint the body tube before you attached the fins, or is that the original color of the tube? Will your fins be 1/4" plywood TTW (through the wall)? If it were me, I'd go with a 38mm motor mount. I personally think 54mm would be overkill for this rocket. But then again, you can always adapt down, but not up.

This is very discouraging . Very little input

Chris,

don't get discouraged because you don't have a ton of people posting. I have been watching and reading along here. I agree, more pictures and a bit more detail. I had no idea what you were talking about with the "triangles" on the nose cone. Keep up the build and as far as the motor.....you know what I'm going to say.....54!!!! I built an upscale Red Max for my L1, I used a 38mm. I wish I would have put in a 54.

Who cares how many people post. Do this for yourself, not for them.

-Jason (watching silently in the corner)

thanks as it goes together i will post pictures . the picture of the air frame is just primer . to get it ready forbthe slots for the 1/4 ply fins . it will go 38mm good from H-L . i will build ans take puctures of a nose cone . but to try to discribe , he goes you take the tube in about an inch longer than you need . but you stop line one caliber from the bottom . you mark off your bottom lines spaced around it for the mhf it was ten then on top you mark half way between them . lay your lines out . you then cut your lines to nake your crown . glue your top together and aply your bondo and sand down to shape . the bondo will be strong and
light . hope this makes sence thanks chris . now for coffee

Update but no pictures . Making it 38mm and more mount 18 or 24 inches long . Think longer the better . It being .4 " it will help come up ro presure . May do DD later .will have room .making the patterns for the fins at the widest part of the fin is 9.75 27" long with 1/4 ply ttw will do both L1 and L2 on her .1200 and 2300 slow and low

Update but no pictures . Making it 38mm and more mount 18 or 24 inches long . Think longer the better . It being .4 " it will help come up ro presure . May do DD later .will have room .making the patterns for the fins at the widest part of the fin is 9.75 27" long with 1/4 ply ttw will do both L1 and L2 on her .1200 and 2300 slow and low

Very wise decisions.

Looking forward to reading the rest of the build thread, and seeing successful launch reports from your L1 and L2:horse:

Yes I have to get a new sim when done , my lap top is tost and using open rocket and rocket tools for android is not as helpful as i need it . have to figure out cp and cg . someone put in a sim but need to make sure all the weights and ect . is correct . will start on the fins and cut the motor mounts on the rings i cut when they come in . should be about 6 lbs with out motor i will post wieghts and size of everything when i get time so someone can sim thanks chris

Hello the component of MHF
Nc 1.46 lbs 181/8 inches
Coupler .46 7.75
Cr's no motor mount cut yet .10 for both
Tube 2.37 51.50
Total weight 4.41 lbs
The fins have not been cut but will be 1/4 ply
If any one needs more infomation to sim let me know thanks chris

can i get some to sim this for me ? my lap top does not work need cp thanks chris

Hi Chris,
Looked over your comments, I think you are right to be concerned about motor ejection with a 4 inch tube. I have never done nose-blow on anything larger than 2.6 inches. I usually build a mid-break zipperless design on larger rockets.

I updated the openrocket sim using your weights and measures.

Nose Cone = 1.46 lb
Coupler =.46 lb
2 Centering Rings =0.10 lb
Airframe = 2.37 lb

Fins add 2.25 lb
24" Motor Tube add 0.30 lb
15' shock cord add 0.30 lb (half inch tubular nylon)
50" Parachute add 0.20 lb
Misc Hardware quick links, eyebolts add 0.15 lb
Epoxy and paint add 0.15 lb

Total = 7.75 lb

Your CG will be where the rocket balances when it's ready to fly.

I have total length of 69.625 in.

With your fin dimensions of 27" long and 9.75" at the widest point...

CP shows at 51.185 inches from the nose.

You will need a reasonably strong I motor for this.

CTI I-170 sims about 1000 ft.
CTI I-285 sims about 1700 ft.

Remember, I have no way of knowing if my sim really matches your rocket, so it's really only a starting point.

-Good Luck!!

View attachment estes_hi_flier upscale3.rkt.ork

Hi-Flier.jpg

I have used motor eject on LOC Warloc's (7 1/2") with no problem. I don't think you should worry about a 4" tube. You can always add BP to the ejection charge. I would recommend just measuring the inside volume and use a BP calculator to be sure.

I've used motor eject nose-blow recovery on several 4" rockets with no problems. I've also used motor eject on a 5.5" zipperless design twice.

that extra 1.75 lbs changes motors . but still very cool it would go just over 3000 ft on a j. had a wild child with a G125 that went to 3400. so its cool . im.not wanting to super high yet . just a fun build

I might just be me. I had what you might call a "bad experience" with my first "bigger than low power" rocket. A weak ejection charge on a single use G40 pushed the nose off of the 3inch tube, but the laundry stayed in the tube. It dropped semi-ballistically from about 800 feet into the parking-spectator area. Just missing some children by about 10 feet. Every time I launch now that experience plays back in my head. I always try to think of ways to eliminate possible problems. It's not that I think nose-blow on a larger diameter is bad. Not at all. I do think, and it's really only my opinion (I don't have any proof to back it up) a mid-break design is more likely to deploy while falling than a nose blow.

Just my :2:

Hello getting back to work , got the motor tube and shock cord in . Chute in Wednesday. So making the fins this weekend . Pictures to follow soon

I'm cutting the fins out tomorrow. Building the fin can paint and sliding it in

IMAG1272.jpgFin cutting day Woohoo they are 27 inch tall and 11' at the point

well the fins are cut . stacked three sheets and cut it out. im not every good with a scroll saw . out to get some sand paper

The fin can is all prep up expoxy tomorrow , chute here on Wednesday. Just some touch up.and paint . Then she will be ready

The fin tabs are not wide enough but matches the template . Very frustrated. So in the morning I will expoxy it up and add ply next to the tabs
Wish me luck

The fin tabs are not wide enough but matches the template . Very frustrated. So in the morning I will expoxy it up and add ply next to the tabs
Wish me luck

Your external fillet should be able to fill that gap. How much space is there?

IMAG1274.jpgIMAG1273.jpgthis beast is ready for sanding and bondo on the fin . this thing better fly

Last edited:
Because of the fins being so big and me having problems with the tabs . Dont know why
The pattern is the same as the fins . And air frame and motor mount is tame as sim .
I will be glassing the fins with the air frame . Also extra insurance for both of the cert flights . All of this going on tomorrow. With some bondo for some places I miss cut to get the leading edge straight. Then on to the other builds I'm doing thanks chris

hope every one reading this thread is enjoying it . as of right now total cost of the build not including the motor
is at $35.00
thats 1/4 berch ply wood fins and CR's
20 ft tubular nylon
loc motor mount
expoxy ,fiber glass and resin, bondo for the nose cone

Back