Lumadyne shear strength

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, the aluminum washer/PEM should not affect shear strength. It is possible for the aluminum or the airframe to fail, but that would not be a "shear", just a material failure under load.

The shear strength of the bolt is the only shear force involved.

However, maybe you are asking "will the aluminum washer/PEM give out before the steel screw shears"? Are you picturing a scenario where the steel screw stays intact and rips through the aluminum and fiberglass like a zipper? If so, I am not aware of any way to properly calculate that except by testing.

The larger surface are of the Al nuts versus the stronger steel screw is concerning, but in this specific set up I was wondering if anyone knew the precise shear fail point. I'm curious if lumadyne even knows.

The larger profile of the aluminum nuts is a good thing when it comes to preventing shear problems... More area = force distributed over that larger area = lower stress. Remember the formula for stress is force/cross-sectional area.

Back