Loki J1001 availability?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by WillCarney
I am out of the J1001's now but have test flown a bunch and
they are awesome. It is similar to the Warp Nine.

The J1001 (for 740 case) have a burn time of .7 seconds. It just
about ripped the fins off a 3 inch rocket of mine called "Sky
Streaker".

I think that propellant should be called "Blue Bang".

Because "BANG" and it's gone. Even his smokey load has some
power for a black smoke motor at about a J270 (for 740 case).

William

OK, so it is more like Vmax than W9 then...

(considering that a 38mm W9 coreburner burns out in less than half as long as that)

Sounds like a fun load though :) I can't wait to try it :)

actually Chris, IIRC the J1001 is just a blue load... I have a sneaking suspicion the "fast" is actually something else. :eek:

Originally posted by Nate
actually Chris, IIRC the J1001 is just a blue load... I have a sneaking suspicion the "fast" is actually something else. :eek:

Now that is a truly scary thought.

Hence my question earlier - I noticed his distinction between fast and blue...

I have seen a j1001 before but haven't seen one fly. they must be awesome. A perfect motor for high altitude.

Originally posted by tedman
I have seen a j1001 before but haven't seen one fly. they must be awesome. A perfect motor for high altitude.

The J1001's I have flowen are great. Burn time is .7 second or
just a little less than a second. I put the wrong nozzle in one
and it actually seemed to have a .5 second burn. It went "BANG"
and was gone. Don't use the J528 nozzle for this motor it will
overpressurize.

Great motor for a light weight rocket. My last one that I had I
flew it in my 18 inch flying saucer. It actually got a lot higher
than I expected for the motors short .7 second burn time.

LOKI has a lot of products in the works, it will be great to see
them come out.

William

Originally posted by tedman

My impression from most sources including simulations is that lower average thrust with the same total thrust typically produces the highest total altitude. This may not be totally true but it seems like it is.

I think the J1001 would be great for odd high drag heavy rockets or for neck snapping off the pad excitement...

Originally posted by uncle_vanya
My impression from most sources including simulations is that lower average thrust with the same total thrust typically produces the highest total altitude. This may not be totally true but it seems like it is.

I think the J1001 would be great for odd high drag heavy rockets or for neck snapping off the pad excitement...

Or a booster to punch through mach while a lower thrust sustainer keeeeeps oooonnnn goooooooooooiiing....

*sigh*

to whomever:

please stop deleting posts. it's really okay to have a little off topic banter in a thread, really. my question was answered, and we were just having a little fun. As the original poster of the thread I would like to ask that all removed posts be reinstated, unless you can somehow explain how talking about Kosdon motors violated the terms of service :rolleyes:

Originally posted by pyrovette20: Are those J-1001 ever going to be certified those motors rock still have 4 left can only fly them at ex launches.
Originally posted by WillCarney: I am out of the J1001's now but have test flown a bunch and
they are awesome. It is similar to the Warp Nine.

How do you get Loki J1001's if they aren't certified? And where do you fly them? They sound like great motors!

-John
Re-added by CTulanko

Originally posted by jsdemar
How do you get Loki J1001's if they aren't certified? And where do you fly them? They sound like great motors!

-John
Re-added by CTulanko

Thats a very good question John

How does one get their hands on one (or two) of these?

nice flight Dick! Will you be at MDRA Red Glare II?

Ben

Originally posted by rstaff3
I hope to be there Saturday.

nice. Going to have to meet up with ya. got about 15-20 people on my list to meet, got 3 days to do it :p

Ben

the J-1001 were commercially available last year to year and half ago. I know wildman had a promotion buy 4 loads get free motor hardware. The J-1001 were not around for long.

Originally posted by pyrovette20
the J-1001 were commercially available last year to year and half ago. I know wildman had a promotion buy 4 loads get free motor hardware. The J-1001 were not around for long.

How is that possible, they're not certified

That is one cool motor.:D

Didn't really see a flame but wow, talk about FAST!!!

I think I read somewhere that Loki had a problem with the fast burn snuffing out the delay element but in the video it looked like it kept burning.

I don't remember where I had read this but it may or may not be accurate so please don't hold me to it.;)

Thanks for the kind words about the flight. The burn was so fast you couldn't tell the color of the flame. I flew with an altimeter since the delays for that propellant weren't established at the time. There was no delay left, so it did burn up :)

Originally posted by Joel R
How is that possible, they're not certified

I got them from dealers that got them direct.
I also fly them under EX TRA rules as I am a L3 TRA member.
Not certified means flying them as research with TRA.

Jeff might chime in here but I will try to cover a few things.

The J1001 did/does have some slight problem with the delay
not staying on or burning out. Jeff and I have talked about this
a few times. Jeff stated recently that drilling out the delay
(extending delay time) creates a slightly larger burn surface
which then does not go out. I have also suggested to him about
using insulated foward washers to protect the delay a little from
the pressure and heat. I belief he will get them certified as a
plugged motor first as I also suggested some time ago. On a
side note, I have only had about 1 in 4 of the J1001's not burn
completely in their delay. Since I don't need delays these are not
an issue and can't wait till they are certified. I fly all such EX
motors either in saucers or with electronic deploy. Most EX
motors don't have delays any way.

There are quite a few products LOKI is coming out with in the next
year or so. Keep an eye on them, it's worth waiting for.

William

William

But isn't selling non certed loads a no no. thought one could not sell demo motors.

But isn't selling non certed loads a no no. thought one could not sell demo motors.

just because he flew them doesn't mean he paid.

Only if your a rep with Loki and since you got them from a dealer you sure aint' no rep.

The correct response is: "How I got them is my business and I flew them on my own."

Have a Nice Day!!!

Andrew

just because he flew them doesn't mean he paid.

How could they be commercially available if theyre not certified

I aint trying to start any sh**, just looking for an answer

How could they be commercially available if theyre not certified

I aint trying to start any sh**, just looking for an answer

So the dealer "gave" them to you at no cost and Loki "gave" them to the dealer at no cost??

But isn't selling non certed loads a no no.

Is it? I seem to recall a lot of uncertified Kosdon East Skidmark and Green Gorilla loads being flown back in the day. It seems to me that Loki might just be following a precedent set by Kosdon East (AMW).

TRA Research rules do not allow never-certified commercial motors unless the manufacturer (or an employee on their payroll) is part of the team, present at the launch, and handles the motor.

See: https://www.tripoli.org/documents/ResearchSafetyCode200602.pdf

-John

Originally posted by THarrison
Is it? I seem to recall a lot of uncertified Kosdon East Skidmark and Green Gorilla loads being flown back in the day. It seems to me that Loki might just be following a precedent set by Kosdon East (AMW).

From what I heard, KE got reemed for doing that and the MFG Demo program almost went away, now with the extra heat on HPR ,selling non-certified motors is (IMO) STUPID...

"Back in the days" there was hardly any heat on us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back