liquid nitrogen, alchohol

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how are you going to mill the components? what materials are you using? im particularly interested in your nozzle design...what is your nozzle geometry? what materials are you using to form it? how are you going to deliver the LOX/C2H5OH to the combustion chamber?

the examples of relatively small liquid rocket motors that i've seen on youtube and in various publications, have used nozzles formed from copper. i've always wondered why copper would be a great choice for a nozzle. i presume it's because of it's awesome conductivity, but i dont understand why higher conductivity than x material would be more optimal. can anyone shed insight on this?

how are you going to mill the components? what materials are you using? im particularly interested in your nozzle design...what is your nozzle geometry? what materials are you using to form it? how are you going to deliver the LOX/C2H5OH to the combustion chamber?

the examples of relatively small liquid rocket motors that i've seen on youtube and in various publications, have used nozzles formed from copper. i've always wondered why copper would be a great choice for a nozzle. i presume it's because of it's awesome conductivity, but i dont understand why higher conductivity than x material would be more optimal. can anyone shed insight on this?

This subject is way beyond my pay grade but my guess would that copper has better thermal conductivity than other metals. I know my Revere Ware heats up and cools down pretty fast.

for the 3rd time its in a very early design phase, ITS NOT DESIGNED TO FLY ITS JUST GOING ON A TEST STAND. and im looking at this design now

well looking at your design, its not yours, its a basic design with a patent.
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/

I don't know your kind of knowledge, But if you really want it to try
begin small, A liquid rocket engine is more complex than just a hybrid.
it requires Fuel pumps, how do you gonna operate them? turbo-pump ?

At the Airport its always fun to do my job to repair the General control unit, or control speed drives from a Boeing 747 turbofan. but thats not that easy as you complain at your website.

first begin with an electric ducted fan, and built an after burner on it ( and make that work safe, no glowing parts and no explosion.
I think you will learn a lat about the Principe of thrust.

Another way of feeding fuel/oxidizer into the combustion chamber can be found here. They used to have a really good explanation page for it, but that appears to have been removed. I'll try to explain it from what I remember.

The main idea is to feed propellants into the combustion chamber at high pressure without the use of a turbo pump. One way to do this is to fill your primary tanks with a high pressure gas like helium. However, if you do this you will end up with very heavy primary tanks. Heavy primary tanks reduces your mass ratio which is something you'd like to keep high. The SDSU solution was to build primary tanks that would be kept at low pressure and thus could be made light. Then they added a set of 4 or more feeder tanks that supply the combustion chamber with high pressure propellant.

In operation, the feeder tanks are filled at low pressure by opening a valve to the primary tanks. Once they are filled, the primary tank valve is closed and the high pressure helium valve is opened. Once the right pressure is reached, the valve to the combustion chamber is opened and contents of the high pressure tank is forced into the combustion chamber. When the tank is emptied, the high pressure helium valve is closed followed immediately by the combustion chamber valve. The process is then repeated. While the contents of 2 tanks are being forced into the combustion chamber the other 2 tanks are being filled. The opening and closing of valve are timed in such a way that the combustion chamber is kept at the appropriate pressure.

Hope all that makes sense. I know it sounds like a complicated design, but it's a whole lot easier, less complicated and less expensive than turbo pumps.

Good luck with whatever design you end up trying.

Latest posts

Back