It's finally here! TAYLOR SWIFT SUNDAY!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the case of the Van Halen rider, the "no brown M&Ms" clause was a stroke of genius.

Along with all of the requests for booze, towels, food, and more are often some very specific and important technical requirements. Many of these technical requirements have safety implications. The M&Ms clause was a quick and easy way to see if the local venue had read the rider and complied with the requirements. If the M&Ms bowl was free of brown candies, chances were good that everything else in the rider was acceptable. If the bowl was missing, or contained brown candies, the entire rider probably needed to be reviewed to make sure that everything was available and safe for a quality performance.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/eddie-van-halen-brown-m-and-ms.html
Van Halen’s use of it was indeed clever, and it served them well. The one time they played without the M&Ms bowl, a tech almost got electrocuted. After that they were very strict about it.

I think the sentiment though is that other artists including frivolous items is only annoying and unnecessary. The M&Ms trick is well-known by the public 40 years on and big venues are probably better-equipped these days.

Well do you think that Travis is going to propose and retire from the NFL and live off of her hundreds of billions of dollars? :p

Well do you think that Travis is going to propose and retire from the NFL and live off of her hundreds of billions of dollars? :p
They’ve only been dating for a few months. The relationship has certainly been profitable but the question is whether it will work long-term.

This is becoming a thread derail, but......................

Regarding Van Halen's infamous M&M's rider - yes it was indeed a way for them to check and see if the venues really read the rider, and paid attention to details. This wasn't, and isn't, an uncommon practice....VH's particular story became a "story" due to the fact that so many people took it to mean they were being super picky about something inconsequential and being prima donna's ("Diamond Dave a prima donna? perish the thought!).

In my work, I've been the one that provided artists what they required via their riders...more on the tech side of things than hospitality. I've done so a lot. Nothing so huge a production as major arena rock bands, but for some pretty famous performers nonetheless...such as Chick Corea, Bela Fleck, Richard Thompson, Bruce Cockburn, and lots of others. Often my particular situation was pretty unique, and actually meeting the terms of the rider was very challenging. But I was also very good at it, paid very close attention, and went out of my way (often very far away) to get it right (or at least as right as possible). And I can't tell you how many times the artists were blown away that someone actually took the time/effort to get it right, They are SO used to venues providing sub-standard tech (and hospitality), gear (including instruments) that was inadequate or just plain wrong, and just not caring enough to do it right. It's a constant source of frustration for them.

Are there some actual "prima donnas" that expect ridiculous things? Absolutely. Very much so. But honestly most of these artists are just trying to make sure they have what they need (actually need) in terms of tech, gear, venue conditions, and yes hospitality, to put on a quality show for the audience. THEIR reputation, and the audience's enjoyment, is on the line when venues don't care enough to respect the terms of the rider. And in the greater scheme of things, providing a single color of M&M's ain't that big of a deal (even though that wasn't the actual point).

But if you want to see a truly fun rider, google Iggy Pop's, or Mojo Nixon's. They're hilarious.

s6

Holy crap.
Just found out that Mojo passed away last week......at 66yo.
I knew he was in "not great" health, but damn.
Apparently, had a "cardiac event" in his sleep, aboard a country-music cruise in Puerto Rico, he was hosting the event.
An official statement said he died, “after a blazing show, a raging night, closing the bar, taking no prisoners.”

A true original.

damnit!

I'm now gonna hafta post one of my favourites over on the "what are you listening to?" thread.
s6

Last edited:
Holy crap.
Just found out that Mojo passed away last week......at 66yo.
I knew he was in "not great" health, but damn.
Apparently, had a "cardiac event" in his sleep, aboard a country-music cruise in Puerto Rico, he was hosting the event.
An official statement said he died, “after a blazing show, a raging night, closing the bar, taking no prisoners.”

A true original.

damnit!

I'm now gonna hafta post one of my favourites over on the "what are you listening to?" thread.
s6
I hadn’t heard either. 👎

And we all know that you have to believe everything that televangelists say. I see where Travis has his hand already in her pocket as he knows that she has very deep pockets, he'll never have to work another day in his life. ;)

Someone didn’t take their medicine.

View attachment 630805
Thousand year war?

Humor Boomer GIF

I thought the thousand-year war was supposed to be between the Bigfoots and the Chupacabras.

Shows how much I know about religion.

Back