In a bind

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaar

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
First off, let me explain my situation. This new kit I have had coming out for a while has been waiting for the past month on the face card. I believe that the face card is one of the most important parts of a kit if it is to be potentially put into a store and or held as a "collectable".

I am not sure what happened to the guy who was doing it, but I am sure he has just been busy lately, which is perfectly fine since this is not, by no means, his job nor does he have an obligation to do it.

So, here is what I am going to do. I am going to hold a contest for anyone who wants to enter. It will require quite a bit of work, but if you like designing things then this is for you. The prize is a free Gamma III Optimized(over $40 value!). I have seen some of you on this forum with incredible ability and I would love to have you design my face card. I would hope for it to include specifications, recommended motors, a place to put Jason and my's signatures, and of course a place to put the production numbers. Also, a picture would be a must. Email me if you want the specs, the picture, and a chance to win one of these awesome looking kits.

I would also like to know something. Is it imperitive that I have a face card? I know that it makes it look very professional but I could have the signatures, pictures, and production number on the instructions, which is *not* just a peice of paper. What do you all think? Thanks in advance.

Here's a link- click

-Patrick H.
[email protected]

Is it imperitive that I have a face card

In my book .. NO.

Having said that I should quantify my answer by stating that I love a quality face card, which sort of sets my imagination on fire, and gets me excited to get the kit home and build it.

So, if you go on just the stigma of " this kit will be offered in stores, where prospective rocketeers will see it "..THEN my answer would be YES you need a facecard for the store.

If your an internet company, I do not believe its important, so as long as you have a nice graphic online with the kit dimensions and contents, I do believe you would sell as many that way. 8)

Probably not much help huh ?

On some of my "kits" I sorta make it part of the instructions and folded it accordingly to show the "face" of the instructions on the front of the bag.

As to specs and image etc. One thing you'll need to include to the prospective Graphic designer is the size that you want the final facecard to be, including any bends at the bottom - like Estes use to do - where some of theres actually bent to make a bottom, and even came up slightly in the rear.

Just a thought..

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I am going to have an actual card, just because I foresee these being in retail stores and because it makes the overall appearence better. The contest is on! Email me and ask about it! I have had only two so far!! Good luck and be creative!!:)
-Patrick

"The most important part of a kit..."

I don't think so. There has been alot of emphasis on this of late and although I to wish to reach a point in my biz where face cards are eyecatching, the whole thought of it being an integral part of a kit just makes me shake my head.
Why should a face card dictate whether or not a kit is a good collectable? Some of the older Estes kits bring more money than any kit of late that has any kind of a face card. I'll admit, I'm not the person to talk to about collecting for collecting sake, as it makes no sense to me (JMO).
Building, finishing a not looseing a rocket, that's the best!
:D

I had a similar worry when I started kitting the MicroClassic rockets. I decided that while it
was unlikely that the kits would ever be in a hobby store, I still wanted them to look somewhat
professional. So I included the rocket details on the top of the assembly instructions and folded
them to be visible above a photo of my prototype.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16455

Stuart

I am glad you all brought this thread back to my attention. We do have a pretty clear front-runner.

Alan Tuskes(designer of U.S. Rockets face cards as well as logos for DMB) has submitted an incredible entry(as I knew it would be)...We are currently working out everything and will have this thing out shortly! FINALLY, the last piece to the puzzle.

I do not want to make a big deal about it, but I would also like to tell everyone that we did not qualify for the finals. There are many reasons for this but I don't believe in making up excuses for why things happen. The deadline just crept up on us and we missed it...plain and simple. I want to apoligize to all of our sponsors. I know this is a big let down, most depressing situations we have been faced with.

As for the business, let's just say this has not really been encouraging. We are talking about a more permanent closing. We are working things out between some of the other vendors around here and we will see what will happen in the coming days. THIS WILL IN NO WAY EFFECT ANYONE WHO HAS ORDERED ANYTHING!

Drop me an email if you have any questions. I will try to keep you updated...

Back