How to create controlled flight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's actually good advice. If you consider kits to be 'premade' you're building them wrong. Take a look around here and see what people are doing with kits.... There's a ton of craftsmanship, talent and skill going into building and flying those. Your ego is bigger than your skillset. That is not an insult. It's a recommendation to build your skillset. If you want to be successful and do this well? Listen to the people who have done it, and don't poo-poo their advice. You're not going to just jump in and build a Saturn V rocket and fly to the moon. Start small, learn small, and build on everything you do.

As for making motors in your basement.... that's just a terrible idea. I'll quote the instructions for the igniter dip I just used..... "the best way to fight a magnesium fire is to run far away from it" That holds true for most chemical fires.

My advice? Don't do it easy. Do it right.
Well, actually over here. Theres rockets that are made already for you, But have no motors. So Yeah, I don't know why I saw premade. Its 12:00 AM over here at night.

You don't need to purchase pre-build rockets, you just need to purchase manufacturer motors , that can be a single use or the one you have to assemble in a casing ( you can reuse the casing and it cost less)

Ok. Sure thing. And one more question just for curiosity. Does Armadillo aerospace and Spacex Have to follow the same rules as we do? Or since there a company and have special permission? Im just wondering since I learned about the level 1, level 2 and level 3 certifications.

What is that thing on your head in your profile picture....?
Everytime I see one of your posts I think to myself "What on Earth has he got on his head"
My mental torment ends now! Speak!
It's a baseball cap on backwards. The red part is the plastic adjustable part in the back.

Definitely not a halo. :grin:

Alex

It's a baseball cap on backwards. The red part is the plastic adjustable part in the back.

Alex

Man that thing is cranked back lol.... All I can think of is wanting to steal your camera and fix the strap.

Ok. Sure thing. And one more question just for curiosity. Does Armadillo aerospace and Spacex Have to follow the same rules as we do? Or since there a company and have special permission? Im just wondering since I learned about the level 1, level 2 and level 3 certifications.

different rules....different size rockets.

Well, actually over here. Theres rockets that are made already for you, But have no motors. So Yeah, I don't know why I saw premade. Its 12:00 AM over here at night.

Yea...there are premades. No one suggested those. It's 12am here too. I'm in NY.

Im two hours away from you. I was born in NY in roadchester when my family moved to NJ.

Cool deal. Don't be dropping car batteries on my house :) :)

I'm actually in Lancaster, by Buffalo. I launch just south of Rochester.

As as old R/C glider hack, the R/C parachute sounds like a lot of fun... something relatively big and slow like an Estes Leviathan would be a good test vehicle, with a G40-7. 2 chanel R/C systems can be had for under $40 nowadays.

To get serious on the case,

1- An arduino will not modulate useable frequency unless you attach something like an Xbee
2- I will also like to have a joystick to control, not the rocket, but the parachute, so you can pull the string and make the rocket take another direction like the peoples do with Ram-Air Canopy ( rectangular chutes) . So we can avoid trees, or bring it more close to the pad.

As as old R/C glider hack, the R/C parachute sounds like a lot of fun... something relatively big and slow like an Estes Leviathan would be a good test vehicle, with a G40-7. 2 chanel R/C systems can be had for under $40 nowadays.

I actually fly rc planes.

Alex

I coulda sworn it was one of those little jewish hat things...
Good to know.

I'm going to say this simply and clearly. I wont give you a long explanation or anything, but

Forget about R-Candy.

It's way too dangerous for inexperienced hands to be working with. Especially in a Basement. Do yourself a favor and start the way everyone else does. Go to the hobby store and get an estes kit and some premade motors. Progress from there. Once you have an L2, get a good EX mentor and then start experimenting with KNO3.

You'll thank me later.

Alex

I fly rcandy and apcp only. I never buy reloads. Very good results. I would not expect a novice to work with either although reading and watching vids about both can be inticing. Making the fuel is time consuming but way more educational that watching the idiot box.

The danger you mention is ever present but deminished thru education. proper precautions and safety equipment.

Although this poster here seems a bit "out there". I'd be concerned about him even with the estes type model kits.

Nah. His spelling and punctuation are much too good for a government goon. He's probably just some bored kid wishing he had hot chick and a cold beer.

Hey kid, remember this: anything that is fun is either illegal, immoral or fattening.

Nah. His spelling and punctuation are much too good for a government goon. He's probably just some bored kid wishing he had hot chick and a cold beer.

Hey kid, remember this: anything that is fun is either illegal, immoral or fattening.

...Launching rockets isnt illegal, immoral, nor fattening!
Whats the big idea here punk? *Popeye accent*

Yeah to bad its illegal but I suppose it keeps us safe. But I don't think being immoral is illegal because actually it as the synonym abandon so its partly evil while at the same time quite sad :/ But actually theres this guy who has a motor with fire hitting the grass.. Isn't that dangerous? [video=youtube;KAsHPYrR_sQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAsHPYrR_sQ[/video]

Last edited:
Yeah to bad its illegal but I suppose it keeps us safe. But I don't think being immoral is illegal because actually it as the synonym abandon so its partly evil while at the same time quite sad :/ But actually theres this guy who has a motor with fire hitting the grass.. Isn't that dangerous? [video=youtube;KAsHPYrR_sQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAsHPYrR_sQ[/video]

Like I said; spelling and punctuation. It's the YouTube Generation.

No, commercial ventures like Armadillo and SpaceX don't follow the rules for hobby rocketry. They have a few other government regulators to answer to ! But John Carmack did start as a model rocketeer.

No, commercial ventures like Armadillo and SpaceX don't follow the rules for hobby rocketry. They have a few other government regulators to answer to ! But John Carmack did start as a model rocketeer.
Thanks with the answer. Finally got it off my head. But I heard on this forums that level 3 lets your rockets go to jupiter?

I don't know how a model rocket would get all the way out there. It only happens every 200 years the planets can slingshot your rocket like that 0_0

Thanks with the answer. Finally got it off my head. But I heard on this forums that level 3 lets your rockets go to jupiter?

...that was a joke. When you launch for space you run into the AST, Administrator for Space Transportation. I can't remember at what altitude they come into play but at some point they take over from the FAA. One thing they claim is as an American they hold jurisdiction over you even if you launch outside the US...that I have a problem with.

So you can launch model rockets into space without getting into trouble. Thats nice. Even though I won't be able send a rocket to space for some time until I get to level 3. But, I hope to have video of space. Like this video of a model rocket having video of space. Which space starts at about 100 km/100,000 feet But this video is at 85 km. And it looks sweet.
[video=youtube;rnaNliE59LE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnaNliE59LE[/video]
This is video of in space. 121,000 feet. So its 21,000 feet above the stratosphere.
[video=youtube;rvDqoxMUroA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvDqoxMUroA[/video]

Last edited:
Back