How to create controlled flight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What part of the country are you in? (what state?)
We could probably help you find a local club, and you could learn some of the basics directly from other rocket fliers.

Can you tell us what the largest rocket is that you have launched? What motor?
Have you used any reloadable motor systems yet?

Is there some reason that you need a car battery for your payload?
Did you know that there are now many smaller, lighter batteries that could be used?
(A smaller battery would make it much easier for the rocket to carry.)

I smell troll.

Thus the qstns.

Even worse possibility: some terrorist looking for instructions on how to drop a 20lb whd on some of our guys.
I would really like to see some bonafides here before we provide help for this project.

Nope. We had a guy a little while back, first post he was asking about rockets, was gone for a bit, and somehow from there he a $1.5 mil to put a rocket to the moon... He spooffed us for a while with some nasty stuff. Bob was deleting threads 2-4 times a day, a real weiner :p

Yeah, I remember him!

What a weirdo.

How did we get to the second page without mentioning that active control makes your rocket into a missile? Is he going to drop a car battery or a bomb?
odd.....

Any time someone acting like a crazy person with dreams mentions something as concrete and well known as the 100,000 foot goal, it's 100% a troll.

What's sad is, I really don't think he's a troll. I think he's just delusional.

Last edited:
Any time someone acting like a crazy person with dreams mentions something as concrete and well known as the 100,000 foot goal, it's 100% a troll.

And we know there's only been 2 maybe 3 that have made it at least that high. A rockoon will go that high and more but I think it blows the budget, too, plus it's uncontrollable.

I have thought of a design that meets most of the criteria...except for gas and cost. 4 propane powered pressure jet engines, gyro and solenoid controlled, an Adrino might be able to process the info from auto sensors and pilot input to keep it upright.

...I think too much :p

Last edited:
When I was 9-10-11 years old our family used to go camping at a really cool campground in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

The campground overlooked a great beach on Lake Michigan and had a long wooden staircase leading down to the beach. Across the lake, far in the distance, you could see the Lower Peninsula, about 30 miles away.

I had just recently seen diagrams of the V-1 buzz bomb from WWII and I started to figure out how I could convert the staircase into a dual-rail launch pad for a rocket-powered gliding plane. I started to think about a rocket plane flying off of alcohol and air (a pulse-jet like the V-1).

I knew there were such things as R/C airplanes at that time so I started to think about the idea of flying a rocket/pulse-jet across the lake and landing on the Lower Peninsula shore.

I knew there had to be some way of guiding the thing and found out that at least in theory I could mount some kind of video camera in the thing and follow it from shore. Back then there were some video cameras which only weighed 25 pounds or something.

I used up most of a notebook pad of paper scratching out diagrams and calculations and plans how this was going to work. I was going to launch it from the U.P., fly it using the onboard video camera, and fly it all the way to the shore on the other side. I calculated it would work out just about right to run out of fuel just as it got there. As I recall, my plan was I was just going to skid it to a landing on the sand on the other side. I also did some scratch-pad figuring and deduced I could probably do the whole thing for about $1000. (Of course my own personal fortune at the time amounted to about $10 so it would be my dad kicking in about $990 -- I never actually got to the point of asking how much money he wanted to kick in.)

I really hadn't thought of anything else I wanted this buzz-bomb thing to do, other than just make it to the other side. I didn't particularly devote any thought as to whether I was going to have to get legal permission or not (I suspect I would have since this whole extravaganza was going to be taking place some 20 miles from a USAF base).

For 2-3 years in a row, we kept going up there every summer, and I kept looking at that wooden staircase and figuring out how to covert it into a launch rack for this buzz bomb. But every year as I got older too I realized it was going to be harder and more expensive to do this thing, and by the time I was about 12 I also realized it would probably also get me chucked in jail (along with my parents and anybody else involved in it), so by about that time, I just gave up on it.

But I drove up to that campground a few years ago, walked out to the beach and saw that old wooden staircase, and thought, "gee, we have keychain size video cams now and minaturized R/C servos ... ya think??"

But then I realized now it would cost me $20-$30,000 instead of $1,000, and I STILL couldn't think of any real reason I really wanted to DO it. And now, I would CERTAINLY end up in jail if not at Gitmo. So it will have to remain a teenage daydream.

:surprised::surprised::surprised:

Last edited:
What's sad is, I really don't think he's a troll. I think he's just delusional.

Delusional or a scumball terrorist!

Perhaps he's a delusional scumball terrorist?

I was thinking about this over work today. He/she could be one with nefarious intent, but another possibility is someone from Homeland/FBI/BATF/CSIS posing as a idiot just to see what we would do.

It's certainly possible. The BATF is still plenty p-o'ed at us rocketeers beating them in court over Ammonium Perclorate.

I was thinking about this over work today. He/she could be one with nefarious intent, but another possibility is someone from Homeland/FBI/BATF/CSIS posing as a idiot just to see what we would do.

It's certainly possible. The BATF is still plenty p-o'ed at us rocketeers beating them in court over Ammonium Perclorate.

Very possible...
I still like calling him a delusional scumball terrorist better though.

You are correct. Put nothing past the gubbermint!

I hope you guys know I was over exaggerated. Jesus christ people can be so serious... Im going to join a local group and NAR.

My theory is that it is a fellow rocketeer who just likes to stir up trouble by wearing a troll suit.

Perhaps Troj could figure it out based on ip address, but I doubt it's worth the effort

Sorry for spamming but. Why does OpenRocket keep it running the simulation but never finishes it? And than stop responding. Its getting on my nerves only having 1 stage.

Sorry for spamming but. Why does OpenRocket keep it running the simulation but never finishes it? And than stop responding. Its getting on my nerves only having 1 stage.

So your not going to drop a car battery on Obama?
*Signals to FBI* It's okay guys you can put your guns down now.

Why the heck would I drop a car battery on obama? Why would I drop a car battery when Im not stupid enough to know that I could kill somebody. But either way yeah Im not going to drop a car battery. Even though I don't like obama. Its a good thing we have a president still. But Yeah. I've been making plans for a 2 feet rocket to get up to 1000 feet for my first rocket. Alot of testing will go on. But I promise it will be in a basement where it won't cause any fires :p I want to use r candy for my first rocket.

Why the heck would I drop a car battery on obama? Why would I drop a car battery when Im not stupid enough to know that I could kill somebody. But either way yeah Im not going to drop a car battery. Even though I don't like obama. Its a good thing we have a president still. But Yeah. I've been making plans for a 2 feet rocket to get up to 1000 feet for my first rocket. Alot of testing will go on. But I promise it will be in a basement where it won't cause any fires :p I want to use r candy for my first rocket.

I was just kidding haha.

Ive never used Rcandy personally so I cant really give you any information on it, other then that I've heard its the biggest pain in the butt to make it.

I was just kidding haha.

Ive never used Rcandy personally so I cant really give you any information on it, other then that I've heard its the biggest pain in the butt to make it.

Its really messy. But its the only rocket fuel I can use that is better than air and water but is able to use it with any rocket which qualify with level 1

I'm going to say this simply and clearly. I wont give you a long explanation or anything, but

Forget about R-Candy.

It's way too dangerous for inexperienced hands to be working with. Especially in a Basement. Do yourself a favor and start the way everyone else does. Go to the hobby store and get an estes kit and some premade motors. Progress from there. Once you have an L2, get a good EX mentor and then start experimenting with KNO3.

You'll thank me later.

Alex

To get serious on the case,

1- An arduino will not modulate useable frequency unless you attach something like an Xbee
2- I will also like to have a joystick to control, not the rocket, but the parachute, so you can pull the string and make the rocket take another direction like the peoples do with Ram-Air Canopy ( rectangular chutes) . So we can avoid trees, or bring it more close to the pad.

I'm going to say this simply and clearly. I wont give you a long explanation or anything, but

Forget about R-Candy.

It's way too dangerous for inexperienced hands to be working with. Especially in a Basement. Do yourself a favor and start the way everyone else does. Go to the hobby store and get an estes kit and some premade motors. Progress from there. Once you have an L2, get a good EX mentor and then start experimenting with KNO3.

You'll thank me later.

Alex
Thanks I'll make sure to get some premade rockets from my nearest hobby shop :D

To get serious on the case,

1- An arduino will not modulate useable frequency unless you attach something like an Xbee
2- I will also like to have a joystick to control, not the rocket, but the parachute, so you can pull the string and make the rocket take another direction like the peoples do with Ram-Air Canopy ( rectangular chutes) . So we can avoid trees, or bring it more close to the pad.
That is actually a very serious answer. Since I don't want my rockets to get stuck up there for days in trees. Having it get ruined.

Forget about R-Candy.

You'll thank me later.

Alex

What is that thing on your head in your profile picture....?
Everytime I see one of your posts I think to myself "What on Earth has he got on his head"
My mental torment ends now! Speak!

Thanks I'll make sure to get some premade rockets from my nearest hobby shop :D

It's actually good advice. If you consider kits to be 'premade' you're building them wrong. Take a look around here and see what people are doing with kits.... There's a ton of craftsmanship, talent and skill going into building and flying those. Your ego is bigger than your skillset. That is not an insult. It's a recommendation to build your skillset. If you want to be successful and do this well? Listen to the people who have done it, and don't poo-poo their advice. You're not going to just jump in and build a Saturn V rocket and fly to the moon. Start small, learn small, and build on everything you do.

As for making motors in your basement.... that's just a terrible idea. I'll quote the instructions for the igniter dip I just used..... "the best way to fight a magnesium fire is to run far away from it" That holds true for most chemical fires.

My advice? Don't do it easy. Do it right.

It's actually good advice. If you consider kits to be 'premade' you're building them wrong. Take a look around here and see what people are doing with kits.... There's a ton of craftsmanship, talent and skill going into building and flying those. Your ego is bigger than your skillset. That is not an insult. It's a recommendation to build your skillset. If you want to be successful and do this well? Listen to the people who have done it, and don't poo-poo their advice. You're not going to just jump in and build a Saturn V rocket and fly to the moon. Start small, learn small, and build on everything you do.

As for making motors in your basement.... that's just a terrible idea. I'll quote the instructions for the igniter dip I just used..... "the best way to fight a magnesium fire is to run far away from it" That holds true for most chemical fires.

My advice? Don't do it easy. Do it right.

:point:
This, this, and more of this.

Back