How can I start a rocket motor company?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$2.5 AUD to $1 USD? That's nuts... no wonder the first ones that jump on our sales are the Aussies.

At least shipping has gotten better. During Covid, we stopped shipping First Class because stuff wasn't getting delivered... we could only ship FedEx. Now we can ship First Class with some confidence that you will get it (we still can't tell you WHEN, though).
Not having any difficulties now with international parcels. 8 months was the longest a parcel took during covid. Nothing was lost though, just DELAYED..

Has the OP come back to see our pearls of wisdom regarding his rocket motor manufacturing company?

$2.5 AUD to $1 USD? That's nuts... no wonder the first ones that jump on our sales are the Aussies.

At least shipping has gotten better. During Covid, we stopped shipping First Class because stuff wasn't getting delivered... we could only ship FedEx. Now we can ship First Class with some confidence that you will get it (we still can't tell you WHEN, though).
Put me on your specials mailing list.

Actually, the current exchange rate is about US$1 = AU$1.60, not AU$2.50. We're not quite a banana republic yet!

Actually, the current exchange rate is about US$1 = AU$1.60, not AU$2.50. We're not quite a banana republic yet!
Hmmmmm
1696659308862.png
I believe this is one of ours.........
The 2.5:1 is what a motor costs with all the additional costs to get it here. It is a motor value exchange rate. Not a currency exchange rate.....

Last edited:
Part of me wonders if the market is effectively closed to startups and the only way to break in is by running an already successful business serving adjacent or related markets. Aerospace and armaments come to mind but automotive might be plausible.

Then again, large companies would be unlikely to invest in a niche market of small and perhaps less-than-steady returns unless they feel like they have something game-changing. Maybe somebody else more versed in the history of the business side of the hobby but that sounds to me like CTI’s story and basically the converse of what Estes is doing with Estes Energetics.

Back