Hi from Western Massachusetts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skier Dude

Reaction score
Hi. I've been checking out this forum for a while, and just signed up. I used to do little Estes rockets in elementary school (mid/late 1970's) in PA. I remember the field being huge; however, I've since looked at it on "Google Maps" and the area I launched at was 200' square. Haha.

I'm now in Western Massachusetts/lower Pioneer Valley. I launched a bunch of times in '08; however, I stopped when I got tired of losing rockets. The final straw was at a club launch when the announcer announced my rocket and said "this one's going high and far in this breeze, I'll be surprised if he gets it back" then countdown before I could say "wait!", then launch, and... lost. It was a rocket I put a ton of time into (Semroc Arcon-Hi) and I wasn't happy. I clearly didn't know a lot and wish someone would have mentioned something to me. It also didn't help that one of my favorite fields for A/B motors was developed into an age 55+ community.

Anyway, I'm getting the bug again... I am a little more disciplined this time around (that is, don't want to lose rockets) and have a little more disposable income than I did. I just need to find a field. I used to just go and launch, I feel like now I should get permission (that's another post).

So, here I am: a mid 50's guy starting the hobby again x3... ;)

Welcome back to rocketry, you will find many a BAR (Born Again Rocketeer) here.
I'll second CMASS it's a great club to fly with. We have a field in Acton and one in Amesbury. The Acton field is low and mid power (up to a G80) and is just off of Rte 2. The Amesbury field is much larger and can accommodate high power flights up to J.
Hope you can make it to a launch some time, our next scheduled club launch is in Amsebury, April 23.

Welcome back to the party. Losing a rocket is no fun. I hope you'll give the clubs in your area another try. We're only human. :oops: I still mostly subscribe to the "It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission." approach but I'm also less willing to risk a bad outcome when it comes to the hobby. Good luck !

Last edited:
Hi. I've been checking out this forum for a while, and just signed up. I used to do little Estes rockets in elementary school (mid/late 1970's) in PA. I remember the field being huge; however, I've since looked at it on "Google Maps" and the area I launched at was 200' square. Haha.

I'm now in Western Massachusetts/lower Pioneer Valley. I launched a bunch of times in '08; however, I stopped when I got tired of losing rockets. The final straw was at a club launch when the announcer announced my rocket and said "this one's going high and far in this breeze, I'll be surprised if he gets it back" then countdown before I could say "wait!", then launch, and... lost. It was a rocket I put a ton of time into (Semroc Arcon-Hi) and I wasn't happy. I clearly didn't know a lot and wish someone would have mentioned something to me. It also didn't help that one of my favorite fields for A/B motors was developed into an age 55+ community.

Anyway, I'm getting the bug again... I am a little more disciplined this time around (that is, don't want to lose rockets) and have a little more disposable income than I did. I just need to find a field. I used to just go and launch, I feel like now I should get permission (that's another post).

So, here I am: a mid 50's guy starting the hobby again x3... ;)
Welcome aboard!

Sorry your rocket got lost. Sounds like an honest mistake to me, and a good learning opportunity for all. That’s what we’re here for, right?

Definitely check out one of those clubs if you’re so inclined, but if you feel like flying solo, see if your local government has an area set aside for model rockets.

Welcome back to the party. Losing a rocket is no fun. I hope you'll give the clubs in your area another try. We're only human. :oops: I still mostly subscribe to the "It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission." approach but I'm also less willing to risk a bad outcome when it comes to the hobby. Good luck !

Yes, back in the day I was "beg forgiveness"; however, now I feel like I'd be a sort of ambassador for the hobby and want to give a good impression.

There's also a new NAR chapter forming in Southern VT, currently flying in the Putney area. So that's a straight shot up I-91N, about 50 min. They have a launch planned for this coming Sat., but I suspect the weather's gonna be unkind to that schedule. They don't have a website (yet), but they do have a Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2957845614457866/

In regards to your lost rocket... yeah, that's a bummer. It's too bad the RSO didn't mention it as you checked in. But in defense of the club not giving you better warning, some folks really don't like to be told what/when they shouldn't launch. And as to the LCO comment, I suspect at times being an LCO (especially with a PA) is like being a DJ. You feel a certain responsibility to keep folks entertained as well as informed... so glib comments slip through. Try not to take it personally. I'm sure they were sad to see you lose your rocket as well.

On the flip side I've had LCO's make such glib comments about my rockets on the pad and I've usually recovered them just fine. So their words don't have an special powers;) I do hope you'll stop by and give CMASS a try, once our season starts back up. It's always a great day of flying.

Welcome! It's never fun losing rockets, but hopefully you learn from it (sounds like you did). I had a day where I launched 7 rockets and lost 6 of them. I was stubborn, but never again. LOL.
Best of luck to you.

Look into getting a chute release (like JollyLogic) and build a little bit bigger of a rocket to be able to fit it...combine it with a streamer for better visibility and set your altitude to some where around 500 ft for the chute release and you should have much better recovery...

His Seb. If you care to join us (CMASS) for some flying, our season finale launch is Nov. 12 (13th as a rain date) at the Amesbury field. This launch features a night flying component at the end for those interested in sticking around for it. Info can be found at the club website.

Welcome to the forum. As one of the founders said," if you can't handle disappointment and failure, you need to find a new hobby ". Been there, done that.

Welcome to the forum. As one of the founders said," if you can't handle disappointment and failure, you need to find a new hobby ". Been there, done that.
Oh please, I learned how to handle disappointment and failure by doing this. That’s one of the reasons I came back, I had forgotten that skill.

Back