HAPPY 25th, COLUMBIA!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceshuttle

Reaction score
today, at 7:00am CST, marks (what would be ) the 25th anniversary of sts-1 Columbia from the deserted pad 39A. Congrats to the shuttle program for 25 great years of modern space exploration!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

Bittersweet, when you think of the original promise of the program and then what happened with Columbia and Challenger, not to mention the way things are going right now with STS. But overall, I try to dwell on the positive, and there have been some incredible moments, hopefully there will be more to come.

AFAIK, pad 39A is not deserted, it is being refurbished and then will be reconfigured for CEV, whatever that turns out to be. Let me know if you have better intel.

Glenn

yeah, the shuttle is (AND WILL ALWAYS BE) flaky, but is has done well for us. it has become too much of a political too, and the controllers took advantage of it knowing but not knowing of the thousands of go/no-go conditions for launch (a la 51L or 107).

by "deserted" i meant that it won't be in use until later in the decade when that new rocket starts, as you said. it may get a bit tricky trying to launch out of 1 pad though...but then again, they pulled it off from 1981 to 1986...

You know what really amazes me about this accomplishment, is that we went from Apollo to the Space Shuttle in, approximately, 12 years. Outside of the ISS, I really wish NASA (and Congress) had kept the momentum going.

Something way beyond . . .

What space exploration? Its just a satellite lifter.

We don't have much of a space program. It take 2 guys on that space station just to maintain the thing!
So I am a kill-joy. The facts are the facts!

Apollo to the space shuttle was a leap backwards. Yes, it's reuseable. No, that doesn't mean a darn thing when it has fewer safety features, costs more per flight (a LOT more), and has the same capacity, only to waste 85% of it putting itself into orbit. It is a complete waste, and the sooner we get rid of it and start working on the expendable vehicles, the better. Like it or not, the space shuttle never ended up becoming the cheap shuttle to orbit that it was advertised as, and is hardly efficient. It is absolutely a neat design, with lots of modern (well, for the time it was made especially) technology, but that does not make it better. The "sir edmund hillary" school of thought is NOT the way to go (use a technology not because it's the best for the job, but "because it is there"). We need to get our butts out of LEO, and get moving on the TRUE space exploration again.

Sorry.

Originally posted by Rock_It
I've been watching NASA at night and have watched the first flights of the Shuttle. It is a shame we lost that vehicle. I saw a special on Discovery where a person that worked for NASA quit because they tried to tell them about the foam and they weren't listening. He said he could not continue and watch it happen...and it happened. Even after it happened they were still saying in the press conferences that they were "going to look into it" but "didn't think that was the cause". They also said "they were not gonna rule anything out". Whaaaaaat? Rule something out they already were warned about? Reminds me of how Thiokol was listened to about the O-ring seals on Challenger...another lost vehicle.

I agree it is a shame, but it is an avoidable shame. The incidents that caused both shuttle faliures cannot happen on an expendable, linear staged launch vehicle (a la the Saturn V). This is a shame, but even with the o-ring and the foam issues, if the vehicle had the crew in a capsule on top of the rocket where it belongs, the disaster could have been averted.

It is sad that it takes the loss of two vehicles before changes in the way they do things were made. We lost the very first Shuttle to achieve orbit in history...a museum piece! That vehicle was a national treasure and was vaporized! A crew of 7 was lost, and those people cannot be brought back.

Again, absolutely agreed. This is why we need to go back to the safer design of an expendable launch vehicle that is parallel staged, with the people in a capsule on top.

I think the Shuttle is a grand vehicle. You cannot do much science work strapped down in a capsule. The Saturn vehicle and the Shuttle is the difference between night and day. Heck we could not build a Saturn vehicle again if we wanted to. The plans for them no longer exist and Von Braun is dead. It has even been talked about. It would cost twice as much as the development cost of the shuttle to accomplish, and then the vehicle would have to go through testing all over again.

Bull. The shuttle is a complete waste, and if you need more space to do science, do it in a space station. A good, expendable HLV could carry 5-6 times the cargo of the space shuttle into orbit for no more money per flight, less money (by quite a bit) if the vehicle only has to carry cargo, and is not man-rated. Think of it this way: the difference between the shuttle and a large, well equipped space station is night and day, but if the shuttle keeps eating up our budget, we will never achieve the completion of the station. As for twice the development cost? Maybe, but the operating and maintenance costs would be a fraction of the current cost of the shuttle. Development costs are a drop in the bucket next to operating costs for the shuttle. As for the plans? The documentation for the Sat V took up several large warehouses, and as such, was expensive to maintain. The critical data is on microfilm, and could be resurrected in a moment's notice. In addition, we have 2 of the darn things fully built - easy enough to figure out how to make one when you've got one already there.

There are those in NASA right now talking about using the shuttle's stack with a payload bay attached to lift heavy objects, but it's unmanned! Who is going to assemble those parts? Unless they are going to assemble themselves I don't see a point to a heavy lift vehicle. The shuttle is the only vehicle that is a heavy lift vehicle and can also carry a full crew.

Heavy lift?

Sure, if you use the whole mass to orbit, but by payload mass, the shuttle is hardly heavy lift. The shuttle can carry perhaps 20 tons to LEO per flight. While this is hardly dinky, compare this to the saturn V at 105 tons per flight (cargo), or the proposed HLV's, at 120+ tons per flight. As for assembly? This is unnecessary in many cases, and most current satellites are completely automated from the time of launch. However, if assembly is required, the much smaller crew vehicle can launch and rendezvous with the payload once the payload is safely in orbit. Also, making a vehicle carry a crew doubles the cost. The most cost - effective way of getting a LARGE payload and crew to orbit is a small rocket with crew and a large rocket with purely payload, not the solution many people believe of 1 vehicle.

Apollo was a great program, but it was a nasty ride. High G loading on the crew, vibration so bad you could not press a button or flip a switch if you had to. Astronauts from the program said you could not see to flip a switch if you had to. The vibes were so bad that everything was a blur.

Again, this was hardly unique to Apollo. The current space shuttle has enough acceleration and vibration, especially during the SRB burn, that from ignition through SRB separation, the astronauts are pretty much immobilized, and again as the fuel burns off and the acceleration increases approaching MECO. You underestimate the violence of the Space Shuttle liftoff immensely.

Riding a ballistic re-entry with nary a control input is scary to say the least. I cringe every time I see those Astronauts climb into that Soyuz. I do not trust it. It's like they are climbing into a coffin. I have seen the coors <sp?> docking system fail on that system twice and manual control had to be taken of the vehicle in both instances. That vehicle relies on pyro and retro to assure a soft landing on hard frozen ground. 50% of the time they end up on their side which takes a extra hour before they can be extracted. That's a hard hit for somebody whose bones are already fragile from being in space 6 months plus.

What do you mean "riding a ballistic reentry with no control input"?

The space shuttle has basically no control from when it begins to enter the atmosphere, as a slight deviation in angle can cause overheating or even for it to bounce off the atmosphere and reenter thousands of miles past the desired location. Once the reentry path is set (just before the first time they enter the atmosphere), they basically cannot do anything to control it, or the reentry will not go as planned. Similarly with a capsule design. The apollo capsules were actually a lifting body design when entering at high speed at a shallow angle, and had significantly more control than you might expect. They had an equal or greater amount of control at the early stages of reentry as the space shuttle. The only time the space shuttle gains the advantage on control is under 1500 mph, by which time you've either made it or you're dead.

As for landing on the side?

I'll take that anyday over burning up on reentry, and guess what? Not 1 soyuz, apollo, or other capsule has ever burned up on reentry. A space shuttle has.

We have a vehicle now that much is known about. Yes, it has it's dangers, but anything that has to do with space travel is dangerous, and spaceflight is dangerous. Then they are talking about making something totally foreign again, and with no money to do it. They are just now getting the shuttle relatively safe and are talking about scrapping it. There is nothing to replace it, and there won't be for another 10-15 years.

The shuttle is far from "relatively safe", and is by far the world's most expensive launch vehicle. As for anything having to do with space travel being dangerous? This is true to some extent, but that does not mean we should not push for safer options. The design for the CLV that is currently on the table would eliminate both of the accidents that the shuttle has had, and as for the "totally foreign" concept, it is a bunch of bull. We are returning to a proven, safe concept that worked for us for many years without a single flight-related casualty. The specifics of the design are new, but the safety dfeatures and design concepts are proven again and again. As for replacements? There is no need - the new designs do far better than merely replace the shuttle, they vastly improve on it, reducing the cost per launch, increasing the safety, and increasing the payload.

In 5-6 years we are gonna end up with a ISS that is not complete, billions of dollars in parts sitting on the ground. The shuttle fleet grounded because of cuts, and we'll have absolutely nothing to replace it. They are already saying that they can only fly enough shuttle flights to lift up the sections. Many other parts that billions were spent on will sit here on the ground. The equipment that was slated to go into those ISS sections is also going to sit on the ground. Much of this equipment was designed specifically for the shuttles payload bay, and the Rafaello cargo module.

We will end up with an incomplete one for a lot longer than that if we continue to use the shuttle. If we stop wasting money on the shuttle, and focus on getting the HLV off the ground, we can complete it in less time, with fewer launches and less wasted money. As for the designing for the payload bay? You'd save a lot more money by designing a way to fit 5 into the HLV, and putting ALL 5 at once up to orbit. High volume = low cost.

Without that Shuttle we are in deep deep trouble. Don't let the politics and the double talk fool you, they do not have the money to continue. Scientists are being lost at an incredible rate, and cannot be replaced. The ones they loose now will take 8-10 years to replace. The knowledge they have gained comes from many years of careful study and practical experience. When those people are gone they don't come back. I know of 10 separate unmanned missions that are grounded until further notice because of cuts and more are to be grounded if there are not allocations made to continue with them.

Bull. The current waste of money is the shuttle. It is a money pit, costing an incredible 750 million to 1.3 BILLION per flight. This amount is comparable to the saturn V, yet the space shuttle carries less than 1/5 the cargo. See a problem here?

The new HLV would cost significantly less than either, as it would not need to carry humans. This reduces the cost to $500-$700 million per flight, for 6 times the cargo of the space shuttle. This would pay for itself quickly, and be an incredible resource for the exploration of space.

The plan is to go to the Moon, Mars, and Beyond, and without money I don't see how we could make it out of LEO. It is very sad. The NASA Administrator has grand plans, but his hands are tied. He is charged with going forward with what is ordered of him, and he has no money to do it. It is very sad indeed.

The reason we have more money, yet again, is the space shuttle. Eliminate it from the program, and without any increased budget at all, we can easily afford the SDLV plans, and the associated CLV and HLV. There is no reason to continue with the space shuttle when the money could instead be going to the much more efficient, cheaper, and more economical option of the shuttle derived expendable launch vehicle.

That my friends must be the longest post in TRF history:eek:

after reading ALL of the posts, plenTy of good points were made. it is a d**n shame when an expendable rocket is cheaper than a reusable airplane! after 25 (actually 30) years, the shuttle still has intermittent quirks, quirks that are not only draining NASA, but y'all's wallets too! the shuttle, as "hurtful" as it is to say this, has really put the space agency in a SKIN TIGHT box. if they give up on the shuttles now, they may lose money to produce the two new rockets; if the keep going with the shuttle, they will lose money in general...and let's not forget the space station.

after learning more about the apollo program, the shuttle is a far, far, far, far less reliable vehicle. they have (a few) advantages, but they aren't for the better as far as general safety is concerned. the station is almost done, but since we are FINALLY noticing all this problems with the STS (problems that NASA execs knew about since day one, but did a terrible job of keeping them a secret for years [dimwits]), i really doubt if the station will be done in a timely manner.

to sum it up, space shuttle...i luv u... you're my namesake...my $200+ rocketry/filming/drafting/art project, but you're flaky and you GOTTA GO!!!

I do not agree. The only reason the shuttle is being cut is to futher cut money.

All these other new vehicles are great, but at the current rate of loss there is not going to be enough people to design and build them. There was a Congressional hearing on this where NASA stated it could not replace those scientists until outside of 8-10 years.

Yes, this is true to some minor extent, but the largest problem for NASA is not the number of scientists, it is the number of dollars, which, currently are eaten up by the Space Shuttle, rather than where they would really be useful.

The CEV will not make an appearance until 2015 if there is a budget for it. That is 5 years after the shuttle will be grounded, so how are we going to get to manned spaceflight? The russians are not going to do it. The final agreement that was just reached with them said that they cannot continue and are already overextended.

Agreed for the HLLV, but the crew launch vehicle is planned to have tests as early as 2012. It will carry 4-6 people in a decently large capsule, and have significantly more capacity and safety than a soyuz.

The ISS is great for manned spaceflight, but youy still have to have something to get men and women up there. You also have to have something to lift the stuff. The earliuest estimate for a payload bay bolted to the the current shuttles stack is 2012, two years after the shuttle is grounded. I'd say the the last crew will be up there in 2010 and may make an extended stay of 9 months and ride the escape soyuz back home after powering down the ISS.

Agreed, and again, we will have the CLV up and running hopefully by 2012. This should not be overly difficult, and it will have plenty of capacity to haul astronauts there and back as often as you want. As for the cargo to the ISS, the HLLV will start tests in 2015, and assuming all goes well, will have the capacity to lift more in 1 flight than the space shuttle has been doing in a year.

Hearings are ongoing on cost overruns right now which are going to lead to furher cuts.

And where are most of these overruns from?
The money pit of course: the space shuttle.

All of your ideas are good ones, but none of those vehicles exist yet, and the shuttle will be grounded for years before they ever sit on a pad.

Yes, but we will never get anywhere by continuing to waste the budget on the shuttle while dreaming of better things. We have to bite the bullet and BUILD the better things, and the only way to get that done in time is a lot more money, which is easily obtsined by eliminating the space shuttle's costly and inefficient flights.

With the ongoing wars and threats we are getting we will see further cuts, and I doubt very seriously we will see any kind of launch vehicle at all until after 2015. None of our other xpendable launch vehicles can carry that equipment to ISS. It is too large. The Russian's contract of expendable launch vehicles is about to expire.

Doubtful about the further cuts. The NASA budget is a tiny fraction of the national budget, and a drop in the bucket compared to the war in Iraq. I won't go farther into that because of the "no politics" policy here, but the NASA budget is hardly in danger from that. Admittedly, it is unlikely to reach the level it was at in the 60's anytime soon, but it is also unlikely to drop farther. Also, as for the ISS, the crew vehicle should be ready by 2012, and once the HLLV starts operation in 2015, each flight can carry up six times the amount carried up per shuttle flight, which should quickly make up for lost time. Also, if we were desperate, several other vehicles can carry the stuff to the ISS once we have a seperate crew launch vehicle. One example is the Delta IV heavy. It has the capability to lift 48 thousand pounds to the space station's orbit, compared to only 36 thousand for the space shuttle. In comparison to the $750 million to $1.2 billion cost of the space shuttle, the Delta can do it for $148 million, and lift more mass at the same time. Basically, our options are not as limited as you make them sound, and we still have several lift vehicles capable of lifting more than the space shuttle.

The only thing even remotely promising is the ATV and it's been pushed back now and is having issue of it own.

What is this ATV that you speak of?

I haven't heard of this, so I cannot comment on it at the moment

We're out of vehicles, out of money, and we're almost out of scientists. We got plenty of good idea's though. :)

We're building new vehicles, have more than enough scientists, and if we would stop wasting it on the shuttle, would have more than enough money. We need to bite the bullet and eliminate the space shuttle for something better: the SDLV.

On a side note: I note that you stopped bringing up issues of safety. Does this mean that you acknowledge that the SDLV is safer, or do you still have any questions?

Hey guys an interesting topic :) A few question since you folks seem to have the info,
How many components of the new sytem are reused? i have the capsule itself is ten times but just curious.
The shuttles history is interesting for all sorts of reason but the most salient lesson to me is if NASA wants to develop a new manned spacecraft best keep the Pentagons sticky fingers out of the process. the shuttle was originally to have had a manned booster and to have been a simpler design that would have worked better. It is sad once NASA modded the design based on the militaries requirements and the budget slashing they ended up with a brilliant but flawed for obvious reasons. The military then walked away from the shuttle program shortly after :(
This business of this new design being safer is without a doubt true accorrding to everything you read but unless the program is run sensibly and adequately funded then GO fever levered by polticians will simply produce a different sort of tragedy.
The Apollo style design is brilliant and safe but one of the ways it was made safer was by lessons learned when Apollo one burned. I say this to point out that capsules can have problems. Three Soviets i belive died in a Soyuz capsule on rentry if i am not mistaken as well. They suffocated I think because the O2 failled. This business has risks no matter what you fly. The sooner people realise that the better. If enough of the new machines are flown somebody will die in one. I would love to be wrong but stuff happens.
My biggest problem with the new approach to space travel is if we are going to leave LEO and journey to Mars and beyond then we need a different power source then chemical rockets. The journey would be much shorter in a nuclear powerred craft. The medical effects of long exposure to microgravity and radiation from long journeys can be lessenned if we embrace new approaches but use the principal of calculated risk.
I am not cavalier about the death of some of humanities finest human brings which is what I belive our astronauts are but this business has risk. The biggest danger i see is the NERF philosphy with exploration. I belive the newer systems will be safer but do they represent a big enough leap forward for the money and if threy are billed as safer then crossing the street what happens to manned space flight if there is a problem?
Cheers
fred

Fred: yes, capsules have problems, however no US capsule has ever had a pressure faliure, and Apollo 1 was caused by faulty wiring in the relays - something that is not in use anymore, along with a pressurized pure oxygen environment. Both of these problems are easy to solve.

As for components reused?

The new design has the SRB's reuseable, as does the current one. In addition, the capsule is reuseable, with the exception of the heat shield, which would be ablative, and replaced after each flight. The stuff the is not reuseable is the heat shield, the second stage of the crew vehicle, the main first stage of the HLLV (the boosters would be recoverable though), and the cargo containment module of the HLLV. The most expensive components would be reuseable.

Rock_It:
The capsules absolutely are inherently safer, and here are the reasons.

The capsule is at the front with an escape tower. This protects it from everything beneath it, and if there were an explosion/major faliure, such as when the shuttle Challenger failed, the escape tower gives a means of escaping unharmed.

In addition, the capsule is protected from incidents such as the columbia diaster. The heat shield is at the base of the capsule, and completely covered until orbit, unlike the shutte's vulnerable heat shielding tiles and RCC panels. This prevents any issues with foam insulation - in fact, it renders the insulation obsolete (saving sigbificant amounts of weight on the fuel tank(s)). Also, the single use heat shield allows for the use of an ablative insulation, which has significantly better insulating properties than the RCC and carbon currently used.

I agree that ATV looks interesting, although it is a relatively common heavy lift design. IMHO, we need to adapt our own delta IV heavy to launch ISS capsules, as this would allow us to put 24 ton capsules similar to those in the link into orbit cheaply and easily.

Again, the money issue is partly the war, but the funding continually poured into the space shuttle is not helping at all. The war is a temporary cost as well, and (with any luck) will end by the time bush leaves office. However, this is delving into politics, so I will stop here.

Hey guys,Thanks for the onfo CJ. AS usual you and rock it have made good points. it's nice to see the lost art of friendly disagreement :)
Cheers
fred

Riding a ballistic re-entry with nary a control input is scary to say the least. I cringe every time I see those Astronauts climb into that Soyuz. I do not trust it. It's like they are climbing into a coffin.

Good thing Soyuz doesn't do a ballistic reentry then. Neither did apollo.

It is quite possible to do a guided reentry with a capsule. The heat shields are shaped to generate lift, and rotating the craft controls the lift. (Soyuz can survive a ballistic reentry, and has in the past, but thats considered a failure mode).

Just wanted to clarify a couple of things. We have never gone 12 years without manned spaceflight, the most was 6 years between ASTP in 1975 and STS-1 in 1981. As to the ballistic re-entry of the Soyuz that is not normal although has happened, most recently in 2003 when Ken Bowersox and his crew returning from ISS had their tongues pushed back into their throats while briefly pulling something like 11 G's. Not pretty but they were no worse for the wear.

To the guy who said he doesn't trust the Soyuz I would only ask, would you feel safer riding the shuttle with it's 1 in 57 failure rate? As much as I respect that vehicle I would rather go in a capsule myself. Much better record, period. The Soyuz has proven itself over a long, long career. Many of the astros feel the same way. Story Musgrave flew on all 5 shuttles for a total of 6 missions yet said that he hated launching in it and that it was inherently unsafe, and that there was no way it could be made safe. So they asked him why he rode up in it 6 times and he replied that he was a space person and he had to get up there somehow, but it was clear he was not a fan of the shuttle.

I'm a fan of all of 'em but then again I don't have to ride them. :D

Glenn

The fact that the Soyuz is designed to withstand ballistic re-entries is the tell-tale sign of premonition of failure and that they expect that type of failure to occur in it's lifetime.

So, we should get rid of airbags, seatbelts, parachutes, and all other safety features, because they only make things more dangerous, right?

When I read that I almost choked. ;)

The fact that a spacecraft is designed not to kill the crew if everything doesn't go perfectly makes it MORE reliable, not less. Would you rather it burned up and killed the astronauts?

Yes, I would rather ride back in a Shuttle. A 1 in 57 "failure rate" is a misnomer. Those were not failures. They were completely preventable accidents in both cases and in both cases NASA was warned. The Challenger accident resulted from O-ring blowby because they launched outside of recommended temps and Thiokol had warned them not to launch and even told them what would happen.

The Columbia 107 accident was the result of foam from the protuberance air load ramp (in the bi-pod ramp area) coming off and impacting the leading edge of the number 11 leading edge RCC (reinforced carbon carbon) panel which resulted in a large enough hole for hot gasses and plasma to enter the vehicles wing structure, landing gear area, and sensor array. Again, NASA was warned this would happen approximately 2 years before the accident happened and could have made the changes they are now making then. They chose to ignore those warnings. The employee that warned them resigned from NASA and stated on a Discovery documentary that he wanted no part of it, and was not gonna watch it happen...it happened.

Neither of those incidents were the result of failure of the vehicle or it's systems.

The fact that the Soyuz is designed to withstand ballistic re-entries is the tell-tale sign of premonition of failure and that they expect that type of failure to occur in it's lifetime.

With a vehicle that aerobrakes it is much safer.

Since you asked, I have to ask you...

Would you rather rely on pyro and batteries to open a chute and pray it opens, or would you rather rely on a vehicle that aerobrakes and does not rely on pyro during the reentry phase? The only critical pyro during re-entry is the LG doors and that is not a life or death requirement to land. The vehicle can be belly landed. If you crash into the frozen ground in Russia because the pyro doesn't fire it's gonna be a heck of alot more than 11 G's. They will be extracting the astronauts out by simply removing them with their conformal seats because they will not be able to get them out of them.

Another VERY scary thing to rely on is retro. That vehicle just doesn't rely on recovery pyro it also has retros that must fire or it will break every bone in the occupants bodies. On top of that air cushion pyro has to fire. That is 3 failure points that do not exist on an aero vehicle. If they ever hit without that pyro firing the place they land will become their burial site.

Either vehicle is completely screwed if the electronics and pyro doesn't go as planned, and I would MUCH rather ride back in any capsule ever used for spaceflight than the space shuttle. I don't have time right now, but when I get back, I will give you a more detailed response

Yes, I would rather ride back in a Shuttle. A 1 in 57 "failure rate" is a misnomer. Those were not failures. They were completely preventable accidents in both cases and in both cases NASA was warned. The Challenger accident resulted from O-ring blowby because they launched outside of recommended temps and Thiokol had warned them not to launch and even told them what would happen.
Excuse me?
A shuttle blowing up and another disintegrating are "not failures" because they were preventable, even forseeable?

According to dictionary.com, the word failure has the following definitions:
1. The condition or fact of not achieving the desired end or ends: the failure of an experiment.
2. One that fails: a failure at one's career.
3. The condition or fact of being insufficient or falling short: a crop failure.
4. A cessation of proper functioning or performance: a power failure.
5. Nonperformance of what is requested or expected; omission: failure to report a change of address.
6. The act or fact of failing to pass a course, test, or assignment.
7. A decline in strength or effectiveness.
8. The act or fact of becoming bankrupt or insolvent.

The shuttles Columbia and Challenger fit all of these definitions except for 6 and 8, which are irrelevant. None of the definitions include preventability of the event as a factor in whether the event was a failure or not.

The Columbia 107 accident was the result of foam from the protuberance air load ramp (in the bi-pod ramp area) coming off and impacting the leading edge of the number 11 leading edge RCC (reinforced carbon carbon) panel which resulted in a large enough hole for hot gasses and plasma to enter the vehicles wing structure, landing gear area, and sensor array. Again, NASA was warned this would happen approximately 2 years before the accident happened and could have made the changes they are now making then. They chose to ignore those warnings. The employee that warned them resigned from NASA and stated on a Discovery documentary that he wanted no part of it, and was not gonna watch it happen...it happened.

Neither of those incidents were the result of failure of the vehicle or it's systems.

Absolutely they were. Think of it this way. According to definition 1 above, if something fails to meet its desired ends, it is a failure. Clearly, the desired ends were to get the astronauts into space and return them safely. In this respect, both were failures. In addition, the definition 4 shows it as "a cessation of proper function". Clearly this happened to the SRB, and more specifically the O-ring, when it was launched on Challenger. In addition, this happened to the foam on the ET, as it was designed not to flake of during launch, but did not meet this desired end. Clearly these were failures, and trying to change the definition of "is" will not help your case.

With a vehicle that aerobrakes it is much safer.

First of all, both vehicles aerobrake. If the soviet rocket relied entirely on retro rockets and parachutes to slow down, it would fail every time, or need a VERY large amount of fuel for the reentry. Also, the fact that they have it designed to withstand the ballistic reentry means it has a built in safety factor, so that even when something goes wrong, the astronauts will not die. Let me ask you: Are cars designed to crash? Are they supposed to? Obviously not. In that case, the inclusion of airbags and seatbelts make them inherently unsafe, correct, as that is a premonition that it will crash, and that the designers expect them to crash in their lifetime. Can you see the absurdity of this arguement?

Since you asked, I have to ask you...

Would you rather rely on pyro and batteries to open a chute and pray it opens, or would you rather rely on a vehicle that aerobrakes and does not rely on pyro during the reentry phase? The only critical pyro during re-entry is the LG doors and that is not a life or death requirement to land. The vehicle can be belly landed. If you crash into the frozen ground in Russia because the pyro doesn't fire it's gonna be a heck of alot more than 11 G's. They will be extracting the astronauts out by simply removing them with their conformal seats because they will not be able to get them out of them.

Absolutely the space shuttle requires pyro and batteries to reenter. If the space shuttle has no pyro or batteries, how will the fly by wire control surfaces work? How will the retro rockets fire? How will the OMS get it into the proper orientation for reentry? In all honesty, I can say that I would rather be in a capsule any day of the week, as they have fewer possible failure modes than the space shuttle does (or any winged design). Once the capsule is in the atmosphere, it is self stabilizing, and even if nothing else works but the chutes and the retro rockets, the crew is safe. On the other hand, if one of many things goes wrong on the shuttle - if a control surface gets stuck, if the constant guidance goes out, if a few critical tiles are loose, or if a RCC panel has a flaw, it is going down. It's increased complexity relies more heavily on technology, and is more likely to completely fail if anything goes wrong.

Another VERY scary thing to rely on is retro. That vehicle just doesn't rely on recovery pyro it also has retros that must fire or it will break every bone in the occupants bodies. On top of that air cushion pyro has to fire. That is 3 failure points that do not exist on an aero vehicle. If they ever hit without that pyro firing the place they land will become their burial site.

Really? How do you think the space shuttle gets out of orbit? Retro rockets perhaps? As for failure points, the capsule does not rely on brakes on the ground, automatic guidance throughout the descent, fly-by-wire control surfaces, or thousands of fragile and relatively poor insulating tiles, just to name a few. Yes, those are faliure points that do not exist in the shuttle, but the shuttle has MANY faliure points that do not exist in a capsule. It is hardly a perfect craft.

Interesting thread.

Another point about flying or not flying the Shuttle right now.

Most of the ISS modules sitting on the ground right now require
the Shuttle to lift and attach to the station. If we grounded the
Shuttle right now we would not be able to complete assembly
of the ISS. Why is this important? You may ask when some of
you also want to kill the ISS program.

As president Bush stated NASA is tasked to complete the ISS and
use it for research in long duration flights and other medical needs
for exploration flights. This is essential for long term exploration.

We can not complete the ISS right now without the Space Shuttle.

There might be a possibility of launching some payloads with ELV's
and getting them close to the ISS for it's own arm to grab them.
But since DART failed and other unmanned cargo modules are not
ready that still leaves us with the fact that the Shuttle must fly
again to complete the Space Station regardless of how we all feel
that it's unsafe, too costly or whatever. At least for the near
term we need the Space Shuttle flying.

William

Back