LOC PRECISION 4” V2 “WARRIOR” Prostate Cancer Awareness build log

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently undergoing radiation ( #22 of 39 treatments ) and hormone therapy after removal of my prostate. Prognosis is good. This is not a matter of if so much as when. Get your PSA tested and fine a urologist you trust.

Congrats on your being free and clear for 5 years, that's awesome!
I too have been making every effort to stress the importance of PSA tests to every male relative and friend, and that their score should not simply be assumed to be benign prostatic hyperplasia due to age. Unfortunately my primary care physician did, and I wasn't able to get an appointment with a urologist for 3 months after my PSA increased alarmingly. After my MRI confirmed prostate cancer, they said it was confined to only my prostate, but after I got a radical prostatectomy, a post-surgery biopsy showed it had spread outside to the margins, so I wasn't so fortunate. I'm nervously waiting to get my first PSA test next week to guage the stage of my disease and to discuss follow-up treatment.

I've never discussed my situation publicly, but your post has convinced me of the importance of alerting a wider audience to the importance of early diagnosis and treatment. So God Bless for your efforts on all our behalf.

Thank you for the build pictures. I am glad you are still here. My Dad passed from prostate cancer, that spread to his bladder, and kidneys. I have mine checked yearly.

God winks are one of my favorite things. It is always to see others recognize them too.

Steve
Thanks so much Steve. I’m sorry you lost your Dad to Prostate Cancer. I’m thankful you are clear and maintain regular testing!

Currently undergoing radiation ( #22 of 39 treatments ) and hormone therapy after removal of my prostate. Prognosis is good. This is not a matter of if so much as when. Get your PSA tested and fine a urologist you trust.
My best wishes are with you during and after your treatment! I’m so glad to hear your prognosis is good! Be well sir!

Congrats on your being free and clear for 5 years, that's awesome!
I too have been making every effort to stress the importance of PSA tests to every male relative and friend, and that their score should not simply be assumed to be benign prostatic hyperplasia due to age. Unfortunately my primary care physician did, and I wasn't able to get an appointment with a urologist for 3 months after my PSA increased alarmingly. After my MRI confirmed prostate cancer, they said it was confined to only my prostate, but after I got a radical prostatectomy, a post-surgery biopsy showed it had spread outside to the margins, so I wasn't so fortunate. I'm nervously waiting to get my first PSA test next week to guage the stage of my disease and to discuss follow-up treatment.

I've never discussed my situation publicly, but your post has convinced me of the importance of alerting a wider audience to the importance of early diagnosis and treatment. So God Bless for your efforts on all our behalf.
Thank you sir! I sincerely hope the best for you and that your treatment regimen will stop this disease. I’m thrilled that your willing to share your journey with others. The way I look at it if I can save just one life it will be worth the efforts. Stay strong sir!

Well I got a wild hair tonight and finished off my Loc Precision V2 “WARRIOR” Prostate Cancer Awareness rocket tonight! Needed to add 13 oz. of nose weight total so I carefully measured 2 pumps each of West Systems resin and hardener in a plastic cup. I used the scale to tare the weight of the mixing cup first. The epoxy mixture was the mixed well for several minutes. I then added about 1/2 of the lead fishing split shot and and mixed it into the epoxy well. I was going to use copper BBs for the weight, but it was a huge amount so I decided to go with lead which is considerably smaller in total mass size for the same amount of weight. That was followed by more lead shot while on the scale to reach the 13 ounce mark total. This was all mixed well. I made a funnel out of heavy construction paper to get the lead mixture neatly inside the nose cone. Then I used a wooden dowel to pad down all the shot well into the nose cone all while it sat submerged in the ice water bath and will leave it there until the epoxy has hardened enough. Without the ice water bath this much epoxy would likely melt and/or deform the plastic nosecone due to the exothermic chemical reaction the epoxy goes through to set. I allowed the nosecone final coat of paint to dry for over two weeks before subjecting it to the ice water bath. You might also remember that back in the construction sequence I added a piece of 1/4” hardwood dowel all the way through the nose cone near the tip to act as a mechanical anchor for the epoxy/lead mixture. I also had prior sanded the inside area as well for the epoxy to grab a hold of. Between these two procedures the mass of the nose weight should never come loose. This will all set in the ice water bath until I feel comfortable removing it. Finally I will secure the 7/8” plastic plug to seal off the nose cone forward space. The rocket is now flight ready! 🥰🚀🚀🚀

Attachments

• 4E43E7D4-B4D0-449B-9118-D53868797ADE.jpeg
    4E43E7D4-B4D0-449B-9118-D53868797ADE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 740C5B1A-7651-4625-ABD3-A9450FCEFE45.jpeg
    740C5B1A-7651-4625-ABD3-A9450FCEFE45.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 15E0ACB9-5257-4877-8F3A-4DE9E827A111.jpeg
    15E0ACB9-5257-4877-8F3A-4DE9E827A111.jpeg
    932.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 71F161BF-A5AB-4610-9E35-679FB88A4014.jpeg
    71F161BF-A5AB-4610-9E35-679FB88A4014.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 03DF7FE5-AF96-4D7C-8BF9-CF7FE57494F7.jpeg
    03DF7FE5-AF96-4D7C-8BF9-CF7FE57494F7.jpeg
    998.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 8A0508DC-1A20-4427-AADD-045C8BA8FBF1.jpeg
    8A0508DC-1A20-4427-AADD-045C8BA8FBF1.jpeg
    990.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 5C113828-D31A-4531-A40B-1E05A54BC325.jpeg
    5C113828-D31A-4531-A40B-1E05A54BC325.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 37638DDD-C463-4533-ABE0-2C5798201015.jpeg
    37638DDD-C463-4533-ABE0-2C5798201015.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 71C556FD-1103-484F-9244-8F3E1864CC1B.jpeg
    71C556FD-1103-484F-9244-8F3E1864CC1B.jpeg
    939 KB · Views: 0
UPDATE: Turns out the West Systems epoxy and slow 206 hardener will NOT SET UP if it is too cold! After about 3 hours in the ice water bath it was still goopy. I pulled the nosecone out and let it come up to room temperature and a little while after that I began to feel some heat coming through the plastic. I spent the rest of the night and morning til’ 6AM checking the temp about every 20 minutes in case I needed to dip in cool water. It never got past a little warm, but by about 11AM this morning was cured hard. LESSON LEARNED! 😳🤪🚀🚀🚀

UPDATE: Turns out the West Systems epoxy and slow 206 hardener will NOT SET UP if it is too cold! After about 3 hours in the ice water bath it was still goopy. I pulled the nosecone out and let it come up to room temperature and a little while after that I began to feel some heat coming through the plastic. I spent the rest of the night and morning til’ 6AM checking the temp about every 20 minutes in case I needed to dip in cool water. It never got past a little warm, but by about 11AM this morning was cured hard. LESSON LEARNED! 😳🤪🚀🚀🚀
I've found that if you add metal weights (ex. BBs) to the mix, especially in a large ratio, it acts to lessen the heat (like a heat sink) and I haven't needed any type of cooling on my last few nose cones with heavily weighted epoxy mix at the tip. Ymmv of course.

I've found that if you add metal weights (ex. BBs) to the mix, especially in a large ratio, it acts to lessen the heat (like a heat sink) and I haven't needed any type of cooling on my last few nose cones with heavily weighted epoxy mix at the tip. Ymmv of course.
Yes I added mostly lead fishing split shot. This only the second time I’ve done this. I think I’ll just use cool water next time without any ice.

Latest posts

Back