Gary Larsen's Farside Rocket - A BT-80H Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope to learn how you use my lathe some day! Nice work!
Thanks.​
The wood I used was actually a part of the trunk of the tree. I cut the one end square and then lagged it to the headstock. I leaned out of the way and turned the lathe on and it scattered the bark all over the shop! I wear a full face shield... but I wasn't expecting that to happen.​
You can see the bark pieces in the photo of the shavings.​

DSCF1489.JPG 003.JPG

Those bovines... they sure do build a "tight" rocket.​
I mean, their aerospace engineering abilities are the cream of the crop, their orbital trajectory cowculations are udder perfection... and they personally generate methane fuel—all the rage in the launch industry these days—certified organic, even!

Nose Cone Repair

The day after I turned the nose cone I noticed the crack was opening up... like considerably. I used a band clamp and clamped the bottom for 24 hours, periodically checking and re-tightening to close up the crack.​
Then I applied wood glue and clamped it again. I'm pretty sure it's back to where it was when I initially turned the piece.​
And, per @jqavins invitation, I added some glue to the other interior defect... :computer:
001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

But the holes aren't in the original comic, so he "cant". A few rivets near the bottom only.
Or aren't there? There's some kind of anomalies on the nose cone... just like there's something on the fins.​
Well within reason to leave them.​
I mean, "Worm Holes" on a "Rocket", it's poetic justice.​
Rocket Scientists cropped.jpg

Good choice of flavor! :)

Looks like that came out really good. I was wondering how well you'd be able to form it in partial segments like that.
Thanks.... 2X​
I was originally going to install it in one piece. I quickly learned that a two piece would be needed. That way I could hold the section and allow the glue joints to set-up.​

Rear Ring and Gluing The Cone

I made a couple openings in the cone to inject some wood glue into the upper section, and then let it set over night.​
I trimmed the lower cone and then made a plywood ring to glue onto the rear cone centering ring. I'll glue this to the cone bottom to keep it from getting crunched.​
001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG

Last edited:
Back