Frau im Mond build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has to be one of the coolest looking rockets I've ever built. The rocket is called Frede from the German 1929 sci-fi movie "Frau im Mond," or "Woman in the Moon." Interestingly enough, this movie features the first ever rocket launch countdown which we all use today.

It comes from Rocketpad, I think I got the last one on the Internet. Great computer printed out directions and a separate set of pictures on full size sheets of paper, some of the parts were in zip lock bags. Nothing like ever anything I've ever experienced before, I guess it's what you would call a clone kit?

IMG_5107.jpg

I won't go through all the details, we've all made motor mounts and glued on fins. I'll just highlight a couple of things. To cut the angle on the top of the fins, I thought it was really cool that it came with this template. And the motor mount spacers are wood, not cardboard.IMG_5106.jpgIMG_5112.jpgIMG_5124.jpg

Fins glued on, you have to sand down each of the middle fins so they fit on the curvature of the tube. By the way, nice size 2.6 inch tube and a nice size nosecone.IMG_5134.jpgIMG_5133.jpg

I hate sanding as you can see. I guess the fins could've come out better. There was no pattern given for applying the decals, but I really like the fact that the water slide decals were thick! Very easy to work with and they didn't bend or disintegrate. Being so thick, I could also take my time repositioning them on the rocket.

IMG_5173.jpgIMG_5174.jpgIMG_5175.jpg

Great Art Deco looks. Carefree times in the Weimar era cabarets. Those crazy college students are starting a model/armature rocket club; what will they come up with next? Will it lead to IRON SKY?

There's gold on the dark side of the moon! After a successful launch it will be time to fly our personal airplane to Yoshiwara's in the heart of METROPOLIS for a real good time!

All the old dudes are always looking for that special "woman in the moon" decal for their A4 models.

Great Art Deco looks. Carefree times in the Weimar era cabarets. Those crazy college students are starting a model/armature rocket club; what will they come up with next? Will it lead to IRON SKY?

There's gold on the dark side of the moon! After a successful launch it will be time to fly our personal airplane to Yoshiwara's in the heart of METROPOLIS for a real good time!

All the old dudes are always looking for that special "woman in the moon" decal for their A4 models.
The retro stuff is so much fun!

Wow, I wish I'd been able to pick up the one I saw on ebay. This looks like a fun build, and you did a great job on it.

@DocSeuss: Thank you so much. You were probably looking at the same one that I was, because I don't see anymore of them on eBay. I really like finding and building the odd type OOP stuff, although some kits are just too outrageously priced, but this rocket was reasonable. Anyway, it was a fun build, came together nice when the fins went on and it's got that awesome retro sci-fi look to it. I finished it off with Rustoleum chrome spray paint.

@DocSeuss: Thank you so much. You were probably looking at the same one that I was, because I don't see anymore of them on eBay. I really like finding and building the odd type OOP stuff, although some kits are just too outrageously priced, but this rocket was reasonable. Anyway, it was a fun build, came together nice when the fins went on and it's got that awesome retro sci-fi look to it. I finished it off with Rustoleum chrome spray paint.
I have a few kits that I couldn't find plans for to clone online; that's definitely one of them. I'm thinking of going through some of my rarer kits (like my TLP Hellfire) and scanning them and seeing if JimZ would take the plans.

Great looking model. Some day I’ll try to scratch build one. Looking forward to a flight report!

I might have to watch that dvd again.

Back