Fiberglassing 5.5" LOC big nuke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketSquirrel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is only my second time fiberglassing anything, and it could have been worse! I took the first step a couple nights ago, i used west system 105/206 with a single layer of 6oz cloth. Was going to do two, but wetting out the first layer got me scared so i cut the second one off mid way1000014546.jpggot some dry spots, but i think for the most part not too bad! Ill just sand and reapply epoxy i guess, thats really what this post is about. Should i sand the dry spots and re-apply epoxy to wet it out and wrap with duralar? 1000014543.jpg1000014545.jpg
Also not sure if anyone has run into this issue, but i either took the duralar off too soon or waited too long. I spend 3 hours pulling the corners up on the parts that ripped off from being stuck to it

If the dry spots are from the first layer, I would re-apply epoxy first and then sand.
If you do sand the dry spots the glass fibers might get damaged and the fabric will loose strength.

Should the dry spots be from the second layer, you may sand them and the re-apply epoxy as thre is still the first layer of fabric.

Do not forget to wear a mask when sanding down the glass.

Back