fiberglass sheeting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Soto

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
just wondering where ya'all are buying your fiberglass sheeting? if only for repair of a BT, is G10 really necessary? Frankly speaking thinking that's overkill for a wrap for strength.

r-

You are wrapping a BT with a "sheet" of G10? It would help if you could you give more details regarding the repair?

You are wrapping a BT with a "sheet" of G10? It would help if you could you give more details regarding the repair?
my Zephyr upon landing on the fin, the BT has crumpled 'just' at the top edge of the fins (on the opposite side). this crumple cannot be repaired with a coupler due to the fin-can. i've sanded the crumple out, and i wanted to wrap the BT at the crumple area with a 1.5" band of fiberglass and epoxy.

(this said, the next time it takes a hard landing the same damage will probably occur 'just' above the fiberglass repair. sigh...)

So, i'm still needing fiberglass sheeting.

side note: 12" will not be enough to fit around a 4" BT. i'd rather have 'one' piece around the entire rocket... not two.

Last edited:
You need fiberglass cloth not sheeting.

fiberglasssite.com is where I get most of my glass cloth.

A club member glassed his whole rocket using the Bondo fiberglass cloth from the big box stores, it held up fine for his Level 2.

Dragon beat me to it. You need cloth. Sheeting is what the fins are make of. For small amounts I use Horizon Hobby, eBay, or Amazon.

A club member glassed his whole rocket using the Bondo fiberglass cloth from the big box stores, it held up fine for his Level 2.

For comparison purposes, the Bondo cloth I’ve gotten from Walmart, Home Depot, etc is 6 oz. It’s as good as any standard 6 oz cloth.

I’d be inclined to use lighter cloth on a Zephyr, 4 oz or even 2 oz.

and i wanted to wrap the BT at the crumple area with a 1.5" band of fiberglass and epoxy

If this is above the fins, consider using a sleeve from Soller Composites rather than wrapping it with cloth:

https://sollercompositesllc.com/braided-fiberglass-biaxial-sleeves/

For comparison purposes, the Bondo cloth I’ve gotten from Walmart, Home Depot, etc is 6 oz. It’s as good as any standard 6 oz cloth.

I’d be inclined to use lighter cloth on a Zephyr, 4 oz or even 2 oz.

If this is above the fins, consider using a sleeve from Soller Composites rather than wrapping it with cloth:

https://sollercompositesllc.com/braided-fiberglass-biaxial-sleeves/
I'd go with w or 3 layers of 2 oz cloth. The finer weave will make painting easier.

Back