FEDERAL STANDARD PAINT - AEROSOL SPRAY CANS - UP TO 12oz PER CAN !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just discovered these guys about a month ago when searching for a replacement for Model Master paints. They seem to have ALL the colors. FS, RLM, RAL, ANA, Even some Boeing and Raytheon colors. They make the paint when you order it and supply a DOM, DOEx, and a lot number. Be aware that they use the latest FS 595c for reference and most kit manufactures instructions are based on the older 595b. As an example The olive drab we all know and love, FS34087 no longer exists. I THINK it is now 34086 but I am waiting for "painting weather" to confirm that. Also a number of colors have the same number but their names have changed. For example, FS35164 Intermediate Blue has the same number but is now called Navy Blue 212.
Anywhoo, great customer service, massive selection, pretty quick shipping, they take Paypal, aaaaaannnnd they're from Texas. So 5 stars from me. 😁

Andrew

I just discovered these guys about a month ago when searching for a replacement for Model Master paints. They seem to have ALL the colors. FS, RLM, RAL, ANA, Even some Boeing and Raytheon colors. They make the paint when you order it and supply a DOM, DOEx, and a lot number. Be aware that they use the latest FS 595c for reference and most kit manufactures instructions are based on the older 595b. As an example The olive drab we all know and love, FS34087 no longer exists. I THINK it is now 34086 but I am waiting for "painting weather" to confirm that. Also a number of colors have the same number but their names have changed. For example, FS35164 Intermediate Blue has the same number but is now called Navy Blue 212.
Anywhoo, great customer service, massive selection, pretty quick shipping, they take Paypal, aaaaaannnnd they're from Texas. So 5 stars from me. 😁

Andrew

It can be worse than that. I got hooked into this and woke up Dave again on the topic because I'm looking for the orange color on the Aerobee-Hi NRL-41 in 1957. Which means I'm looking for MIL-C-18263A, as far as I can figure out, because Rev B was published shortly after that. And I definitely have not found a PDF of that online. And then you have differences between AF and N standards, etc.

It can be worse than that. I got hooked into this and woke up Dave again on the topic because I'm looking for the orange color on the Aerobee-Hi NRL-41 in 1957. Which means I'm looking for MIL-C-18263A, as far as I can figure out, because Rev B was published shortly after that. And I definitely have not found a PDF of that online. And then you have differences between AF and N standards, etc.
Here you go . . . 595B & 595C

"MIL-C-18263A" appears to be a shade of Blue ( also identified as a "Red", in some locations ), not Orange . . .

https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2012/10/painting-crush-points-red.html ( ID'd as a "Red" )

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22MIL-C-18263A%22&source=hp&ei=rXBVZNvrOqun5NoP4NCAsA4&iflsig=AOEireoAAAAAZFV-vUPEbp7XomAMGISHQTKm2AZoq0C3&ved=0ahUKEwib9um0i9_-AhWrE1kFHWAoAOYQ4dUDCAs&oq=%22MIL-C-18263A%22&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAwyBQgAEKIEMgUIABCiBDIFCAAQogRQAFjlFGCwKGgAcAB4AIABkgGIAfwCkgEDMC4zmAEAoAEBoAEC&sclient=gws-wiz

Dave F

Attachments

• 37211643-fs595b.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • FederalStandard595C.pdf
    142.5 KB · Views: 1
  • FS 595c Color - Hobby Paint Table.pdf
    291.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 595-1.png
    595-1.png
    316.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 595-2.png
    595-2.png
    297.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 595-3.png
    595-3.png
    310 KB · Views: 0
  • 595-4.png
    595-4.png
    283.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 595-5.png
    595-5.png
    302.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 595-6.png
    595-6.png
    292.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 595-7.png
    595-7.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here you go . . . 595B & 595C

"MIL-C-18263A" appears to be a shade of Blue ( also identified as a "Red", in some locations ), not Orange . . .

https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2012/10/painting-crush-points-red.html ( ID'd as a "Red" )

Dave F

At the time, the interior surfaces of speed brakes and wing flaps and their wells were to be painted red, according to Mil-C-18263 dated 23 February 1955. The interior of slats and their wells was added by Mil-C-18263A dated 16 July 1956, although this was reportedly "released at a later date." Red on the edges of doors was decreed by revision B of Mil-C-18263 dated 12 February 1959.

MIL-C-18263 is not a color, it is the Mil spec for how to paint airplanes, and references the "FS #####" or earlier "ANA ###" color numbers. The letter at the end of MIL-C-18263 designates the revision level, associated with the date the revision was released and superseded the prior document. I think that is the site I read last night that told me MIL-C-18263A is the one relevant to the launch window of Aerobee-Hi NRL-41.

MIL-C-18263 is officially titled, "MILITARY SPECIFICATION - COLORS, EXTERIOR, NAVAL AIRCRAFT: REQUIREMENTS FOR"

My earlier statement was that MIL-C-18263F is easy to find, but the older versions A through E from the '50s don't seem to be available online. Revision F is dated 29 June, 1971.

There is also

FED-STD-595 "FEDERAL STANDARD - COLORS USED IN GOVERNMENT PROCUREMENT"

with its various revision levels and

MIL-STD-2161 "DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE STANDARD PRACTICE - PAINT SCHEMES AND EXTERIOR MARKINGS FOR US NAVY AND MARINE CORPS AIRCRAFT"

with its various revision levels. The latter was introduced in 1985. The following notice is available:

"19 AUGUST 1991
MILITARY SPECIFICATION - COLORS, EXTERIOR, NAVAL AIRCRAFT: REQUIREMENTS FOR
MIL-C-18263F(AS), dated 29 JUNE 1971, and MIL-C-18263F(AS), AMENDMENT 1,
dated 9 MARCH 1972, are hereby cancelled and superseded by MIL-STD-2161(AS),
“PAINT SCHEMES AND EXTERIOR MARKINGS FOR U.S. NAVY AND MARINE CORPS AIRCRAFT.”

Last edited:
MIL-C-18263 is not a color, it is the Mil spec for how to paint airplanes, and references the "FS #####" or earlier "ANA ###" color numbers. The letter at the end of MIL-C-18263 designates the revision level, associated with the date the revision was released and superseded the prior document. I think that is the site I read last night that told me MIL-C-18263A is the one relevant to the launch window of Aerobee-Hi NRL-41.

MIL-C-18263 is officially titled, "MILITARY SPECIFICATION - COLORS, EXTERIOR, NAVAL AIRCRAFT: REQUIREMENTS FOR"

My earlier statement was that MIL-C-18263F is easy to find, but the older versions A through E from the '50s don't seem to be available online. Revision F is dated 29 June, 1971.

There is also

FED-STD-595 "FEDERAL STANDARD - COLORS USED IN GOVERNMENT PROCUREMENT"

with its various revision levels and

MIL-STD-2161 "DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE STANDARD PRACTICE - PAINT SCHEMES AND EXTERIOR MARKINGS FOR US NAVY AND MARINE CORPS AIRCRAFT"

with its various revision levels. The latter was introduced in 1985. The following notice is available:

"19 AUGUST 1991
MILITARY SPECIFICATION - COLORS, EXTERIOR, NAVAL AIRCRAFT: REQUIREMENTS FOR
MIL-C-18263F(AS), dated 29 JUNE 1971, and MIL-C-18263F(AS), AMENDMENT 1,
dated 9 MARCH 1972, are hereby cancelled and superseded by MIL-STD-2161(AS),
“PAINT SCHEMES AND EXTERIOR MARKINGS FOR U.S. NAVY AND MARINE CORPS AIRCRAFT.”
So, the actual color you are looking for is in FS-595A, right ?

I am uploading the file and will send you a Dropbox link, via PM . . . The file is too large to upload ( 36 mb ).

Dave F.

To land the plane based on my assumption that the NRL-42 round was painted according to the standard colors for a drone, I would technically need

Mil-C-18263A dated 16 July 1956 to figure out what color was specified for the drones

and

FS-595, dated March 1, 1956 to describe the color. Technically, I'd need a color chip that I'm not getting, because any PDF will be limited in its ability to reproduce the color.

But at least the FS-595A you shared with me indicates that FS28915 is semigloss, which is more than I had previously. Thanks again for all the help!

To land the plane based on my assumption that the NRL-42 round was painted according to the standard colors for a drone, I would technically need

Mil-C-18263A dated 16 July 1956 to figure out what color was specified for the drones

and

FS-595, dated March 1, 1956 to describe the color. Technically, I'd need a color chip that I'm not getting, because any PDF will be limited in its ability to reproduce the color.

But at least the FS-595A you shared with me indicates that FS28915 is semigloss, which is more than I had previously. Thanks again for all the help!
Finding those 1956 items is a "tall order" . . . Perhaps, the Smithsonian or Library of Congress might have them ?

Dave F.

https://www.gsa.gov/buy-through-us/...ly/supply-standards/color-standardsfedstd595c
FED-STD-595C, dated 16 January 2008, and all associated slash sheets, are hereby canceled. SAE AMS-STD-595, “Colors Used in Government Procurement,” supersedes FED-STD-595C. This document, and all new AMS-STD-595 color standard products such as fan decks and color chipsets, may be obtained from:

SAE International Customer Service
400 Commonwealth Drive
Warrendale PA 15096
www.sae.org
[email protected]

SAE AMS-STD-595, “Colors Used in Government Procurement,” was adopted on February 14, 2017, for use by the Department of Defense (DOD). Proposed changes to the standard by DoD activities must be submitted to the DoD Adopting Activity at Defense Standardization Program Office, 8725 John J. Kingman Road, Stop 5100, Fort Belvoir VA 22060. To request new colors be added, please send SAE the paint sample (on an acceptable substrate) to the contact below. SAE will take it to their paint manufacturer and have them read the new paint color to create a drawdown that exactly matches the sample sent. SAE will then send a proof for your acceptance and, once approved, will add the color and CIELAB data to their standard. The accepted proof would be appropriately stored and used as the standard for creating product in the future. Please see the AMS-STD-595 media material purchasing page to purchase chipsets, fandecks, or individual color chips.

SAE Contact Information
SAE INTERNATIONAL
Logen Johnson, Aerospace Standards Engineer
1200 G Street, NW
Suite 800
Washington, DC 20005
724-272-0495
[email protected]

The shortcut for this page is www.gsa.gov/colorstd.

https://www.sae.org/standardsdev/colorchips/#AMS-STD-595
And I can buy the FS-28915 individual color chip 3x5 standard here: https://www.sae.org/servlets/otherProduct?PROD_TYP=RM&PROD_CD=EA-28915

I even get a member discount on the $35 cost.

Will see what happens with my feeler for the Mil-C-18263A before I spend the money. May not even spend it...It would cover the first can of paint and shipping from the company in the OP.

https://www.gsa.gov/buy-through-us/...ly/supply-standards/color-standardsfedstd595c

https://www.sae.org/standardsdev/colorchips/#AMS-STD-595
And I can buy the FS-28915 individual color chip 3x5 standard here: https://www.sae.org/servlets/otherProduct?PROD_TYP=RM&PROD_CD=EA-28915

I even get a member discount on the $35 cost.

Will see what happens with my feeler for the Mil-C-18263A before I spend the money. May not even spend it...It would cover the first can of paint and shipping from the company in the OP.
"Team Effort" . . . The "mantra" of "Old School" Rocketry !

Dave F.

I was looking for info on the gloss level of Crosslink paints. The popup menu lists only 'Manufactured Standard'. Did a little digging, and found this:

https://cp-techusa.com/industrial-computers/what-is-fed-std-595/
Using this paint number from the Crosslink color selection menu—AMS-STD 12197 (International Orange)—the first number is the gloss level (1=gloss; 2=semi gloss; 3=matte), the second number is the general color (2=orange), and the remaining three numbers indicate the intensity of the color—(lower values indicate a darker shade of orange; high numbers, lighter).

I've been trying to find a shade of orange that matches the Reese's PB cup packaging, with no success. Then I found this thread. Thanks, Dave! You made my day!

Careful on that color ID. I googled it and found several different websites saying what the colors were and they were all saying different codes. Which indicates to me they don’t really know and just eyeballed it. If I was going to dig for it, I’d look for the trademark filing documents from Hershey. They presumably have to state exactly what it is they are trademarking when they file.

So far, I haven't been able to find any trademark filing info for Hershey's that mentions specific color values (HEX, RGB, etc.). But among websites such as this one (https://colorswall.com/palette/3234) that list Reese's orange, the most common HEX value is #fe5200, which is the same as International Orange (https://www.htmlcsscolor.com/hex/FE5200).

All that aside, I'm looking at $26 for a 12 oz. can of spray paint ($11 plus $15 shipping). I might have to settle for Krylon Pumpkin Orange ($5.95 at Lowes).

I was looking for info on the gloss level of Crosslink paints. The popup menu lists only 'Manufactured Standard'. Did a little digging, and found this:

https://cp-techusa.com/industrial-computers/what-is-fed-std-595/
Using this paint number from the Crosslink color selection menu—AMS-STD 12197 (International Orange)—the first number is the gloss level (1=gloss; 2=semi gloss; 3=matte), the second number is the general color (2=orange), and the remaining three numbers indicate the intensity of the color—(lower values indicate a darker shade of orange; high numbers, lighter).

I've been trying to find a shade of orange that matches the Reese's PB cup packaging, with no success. Then I found this thread. Thanks, Dave! You made my day!
From the website you linked to . . . Great explanation !

EXCERPT :

Federal Standard 595 is the US Government specification on color. Anything the Government specifies that is painted will have a Fed Std 595 color callout. Colors for tanks, ships, uniforms, the yellow line down the middle of the street, are all specified in 595.

The current revision is ‘C’. The initial specification was released in March, 1956 containing 358 colors. Revision ‘A’ was issued in January 1968 and contained 437 colors. Revision ‘B’ was released in January 1994 and contained 611 colors. Revision ‘C’ was released July 31, 2008, and contains 650 colors.

The spec is available in 3 formats: fan deck, notebook, and 3×5″ cards. The fan deck and notebook are for reference only. Officially the 3×5″ cards are used to check if an applied color matches the specification.

The colors in the Federal Standard 595 set have no official names, just five-digit numbers. The 595C Specification Book does include some generic names, but in many cases the same name has been used for multiple colors. FED-STD-595 colors should ALWAYS be specified by a 5-digit number.

The first figure can be 1,2 or 3 and indicates the level of sheen:

• 1 = gloss (minimum 80)
  • 2 = semi gloss (30-45)
  • 3 = matt, flat, or lusterless (maximum 6)
The second figure of FS code indicates a general color classification group;

• 0 = Brown
  • 1 = Red
  • 2 = Orange
  • 3 = Yellow
  • 4 = Green
  • 5 = Blue
  • 6 = Grey
  • 7 = Other (white, black, violet, metallic)
  • 8 = Fluorescent
The remaining figures (third to fifth) provide a 3-digit number representing approximate intensity. Lower values generally indicate a darker color, higher values are typically lighter color. The numbers have been assigned with gaps to allow addition of new colors. Fed-Std-595 is a color collection, not a complete color system, and this has the following implications:

The existence of a color chip 1xxxx in the FS Fan Deck doesn’t imply that there is a color chip for 2xxxx or 3xxxx. In fact, the vast majority of shades only have chips for 1 or 2 gloss levels

There can be small differences in shading between chips with different gloss levels, making the creation of “virtual chips” for numbers not defined in FED-STD-595 set a very dangerous practice. This can be seen by comparing the RGB values below for 10045, 20045 and 30045, which were derived by measuring actual chips. Variations are obvious, which is typical. To assume that 20032, if it existed, would be exactly the same color as 10032 is not valid.

All color numbers in FED-STD-595C, with Change Notice 1 applied, are listed in the specification. If a color number is not listed in the spec, it is not part of FED-STD-595C. (All colors in 595B and 595A are included in 595C.)

FED-STD-595C is not extensible, i.e. it does not allow imputing new colors from the existing ones. If comparing RLM colors to FS-595 codes, for example, one can only refer to the nearest existing FS-595 color, which most often isn’t a perfect match. In practice, the FS-set set is extensive enough to find a good-enough match for almost any color.

CP Technologies can paint products in colors matching the Fed Std 595 to meet customer requirements. A good source for information for the colors and to acquire paint chips, decks, etc., is Fed Specs.

END EXCERPT

Dave F.

From the website you linked to . . . Great explanation !

The Federal Standard is outdated. The current standard is AMS-STD 595 (see notice of change here: https://www.sae.org/standardsdev/colorchips/#AMS-STD-595). Here's a link to Crosslink's AMS standard paints: https://www.crosslinkpaints.com/Aerospace-Material-Specification-Matched-Touch-Up-Paint.html
The gloss level, color, and density values as explained in your post remain unchanged.

Use this chart to pick colors:

https://ams-std-595-color.com/
On Crosslink's AMS page, select your paint type, then enter your color chip code (AMS-STD xxxxx) in the Color popup menu.

And that's it.

My only complaint—and this is just me on a tight budget—is the overall cost for a 12 oz. can, ~$26 ($11 for paint; $15 for shipping). I have to decide if my perfect shade of orange is worth $20 more than a color that's close at Lowes.

Last edited:
And keep in mind that the colors are subject to the original encoding to digital, the re-encoding to PDF, your computer’s graphics card and the display capability and calibration of the screen you’re viewing it on.

Even physical paint or powdercoat sample chips may differ in different lighting. Samples can be indistinguishable in one light condition and differ noticeably in another.

And keep in mind that the colors are subject to the original encoding to digital, the re-encoding to PDF, your computer’s graphics card and the display capability and calibration of the screen you’re viewing it on.

Even physical paint or powdercoat sample chips may differ in different lighting. Samples can be indistinguishable in one light condition and differ noticeably in another.
So, basically, unless you have the color chip sample card, in hand, you can't accurately choose a specific color ?

Dave F.

At $35 a pop for color chips, it would be cheaper to order a can of paint and spray some. Then you'd know exactly what the color looks like.

For hobby rockets, that's true. For the purpose the system was created for, you still need the chip to know that the paint you bought is the correct color when applied to your product. Every lot of paint purchased will be tested before being applied to shipping-intent product and shippable product will be checked against the standard at a frequency and by means and under conditions specified in the contract. Etc.

$35.00 might as well be free in that world, it's just to cover the minimal overhead required to maintain and administer the system. It also keeps people who don't really need to be involved from bogging down the system with requests that don't actually support the purpose of the system.

Back