Estes Mini Arcas released

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks pretty good!

I've been building more 13mm rockets lately. Easy to build and fly, perform well and you usually get 'em back! (Okay, except for Mosquitos and things of that ilk...)

The mini ARCAS is on my list. The ARCAS has clean lines and nice proportions- classic sounding rocket style.

Even with the snap together fin can/engine mount on the Mini Bertha and Mini Alpha I’ll probably end up with one each of those too - eventually.

If it's true to scale it'll have a tail cone - maybe done with a paper shroud? The instructions haven't been posted yet - hard to tell from the pictures.

Tiny parts, fin root flanges, and if you look at this zoom of the left side fin root, that flange looks curved; so a tail cone is a very good possibility.

edit:[I never was a fan of paper cones or transitions but I will try this one anyway]

1713792173932.png

Tiny parts, fin root flanges, and if you look at this zoom of the left side fin root, that flange looks curved; so a tail cone is a very good possibility.
Looks like a tail cone to me in that picture.

Also interesting: all the Estes photos/renderings show the side with the launch lug, which is the least attractive.
edit:[I never was a fan of paper cones or transitions but I will try this one anyway]
I find paper cones sufficiently easy that I'd be sincerely interested in seeing exactly why many folks seem to have a lot of trouble with them. Not every one I do comes out perfect but usually the second or at worst the third one does. They're quick and cheap to iterate.

The only part I sometimes struggle with is hiding the seam between the cone and the body tube on the large side, but it's a minor issue.

Disclaimer: long skinny cones can be miserable, but they're the exception. The one shown here (if that's what it is) is a pretty easy aspect ratio.

I'm pretty sure the PNC-55AC is designated that because the shape was created in the balsa era for the ARCAS kit. The real ARCAS had a secant ogive cone, hence the PNC-55AC is a secant ogive. It looks funky on rockets that should have a tangent ogive, and an ARCAS with a tangent ogive doesn't look the way it should. JMO.

I wonder if there were any boosted versions of this, maybe could use that mini ARCAS as a sustainer?

Last edited:

That's a cool-looking rocket. I like the length of the Sidewinder. Would be fun and interesting to do a BP gap-staged build with proper recovery in the booster.

Also, a 29mm powered HV-Arcas sans booster using the Estes NC would be fun and easy.

ETA: Looking through a NASA paper posted in another thread and discussed on John Coker's site, there are quite a few neat/pretty combinations of off the shelf body tubes in the size range I like that match the different boosted versions nicely. Dahmik, another rabbit hole!

Last edited:
Instructions are up now. Fins are balsa with some added details to assemble (the fin attach flanges are simulated) and there is a paper tail cone: https://help.estesrockets.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/26101608814477

That actually looks like a neat little model. I may have to get a couple.

When I did the paper cone/transitions, it was step 4 in those tail instructions that got me. To let Dry I had to hold it in my fingers and when dry glue finger prints where on the paper. If I did not hold it it would come apart.

Today I guess I could put on blue gloves, and use a Hi-Tack glue, but some glue could still ooz out and be on the paper and dry under my glove finger.

When I did the paper cone/transitions, it was step 4 in those tail instructions that got me. To let Dry I had to hold it in my fingers and when dry glue finger prints where on the paper. If I did not hold it it would come apart.

Today I guess I could put on blue gloves, and use a Hi-Tack glue, but some glue could still ooz out and be on the paper and dry under my glove finger.
Possibly you are simply using too much glue. You only need *very little*. I mean, shockingly little. A tiny drop spread very thinly with your finger. It sets in seconds.

I find long self closing tweezers to be great to use as a clamp.

I've been a bit harsh on Estes lately but this looks to be a nice rocket. I'm happy this is an actual builders kit and not another snap together quick build. I just finished looking at the instructions and it looks like it would be a fun build. I might actually buy and build one of these.

If I have one complaint, I wish it was slightly larger. I'd be happy with a BT55 kit and I'd venture to guess that an larger version might appear if the small one sells well.

I'm expecting a build. Likely with diamond-profiled fins because that is the cooler way to do it if you have the skillz.

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2024/04/estes-arcas-now-available.html

@hcmbanjo
I'll do a blog build if Estes sends me some kits.
If I'm working for a vendor, I build them as directed by the instructions.
In some extra blog build posts, I would cut out some additional fins and show how the diamond taper can be done.
That depends though - if the kit fins are only 1/16" thick, the diamond taper isn't practical.

That depends though - if the kit fins are only 1/16" thick, the diamond taper isn't practical.
I was thinking that too.

I think you could fool the casual observer by shading the bottom half of the fins slightly darker (could be accomplished with a very light grey transparent decal).
1713892906480.png

Back