Elton John or John Denver?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elton John or John Denver?

• Elton John

• John Denver

Results are only viewable after voting.
I really didn't care for their sound all that much but probably could have toterated them if the radio didn't play Stairway to Heaven to death. I ended up not being able to stand that song and in my mind, it evolved into anything by Zepplin sounding the same and I would switch stations as soon as they came on the radio.

A similar situation happened when we went camping and all we had was a portable radio and we could only get one station. The station was one of those that played the most popular songs over and over. I swear they played Clapton's song, I Shot the Sheriff, at least every hour for the entire week I was camping. I didn't hate the song at the beginning of the week but I still can't bear to hear it played.
I'm that way with Bob Seger. Our only classic rock station close enough to get clearly had a program director that loved Seger. A rotation of his stuff was played more than once an hour and they played "Fire Down Below" super heavy. I never liked that song and hearing it so much got me to the point that I couldn't stand to listen to any of his stuff, even though I liked a lot of it back in the 70's/80's.

When I think Elton John, I think "ladies man". When I think John Denver, I think "expert pilot". Shows what I know.:(

Interesting poll.

I suspect John Denver would, by far, be someone who'd I'd be interested in talking too (experimental airplane builder!) and going to a BBQ with.

But while I really liked his music, he didn't have the same insane creative range and talent as Elton John.

Trivia: John Denver and his music are big in many odd places. I've heard stories about Arab guys in coffee bars dabbing their eyes when "Country Road" gets played.

I'm that way with Bob Seger. Our only classic rock station close enough to get clearly had a program director that loved Seger. A rotation of his stuff was played more than once an hour and they played "Fire Down Below" super heavy. I never liked that song and hearing it so much got me to the point that I couldn't stand to listen to any of his stuff, even though I liked a lot of it back in the 70's/80's.
I know what you're saying there. I liked Bob Seger well enough in the 70's/80's but the classic rock stations around here don't seem to know that he recorded songs other than "Night Moves" or "Main Street".

That seems to be a big complaint of mine with classic rock stations. They find one or two songs by a particular artist and that's all they play.

Back in the 70's and 80's my friends couldn't understand why I liked Emmylou Harris because she was not a rock artist. I tried to explain that it's alright to like stuff from different musical styles but to them, if it wasn't rock, it was trash.

Staying on the lighterside of the 70s
Simon & Garfunkel
Bread
America
Bob Welch
Electric Light Orchestra
Fleetwood
10cc
Hall n Oats
KC and the Sunshine Band

Ahhh,thats enough of that.
Im more a Bump and Grind /Blues/Rocker kinda guy myself.

Like this...

[YOUTUBE]K5IS45jT468&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

and this

[YOUTUBE]cX_wFoeA9hQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

If you are going there:
Jackson Browne
Browne was another that was run into the ground on our classic station, but not as bad as Seger.

Adding to the light stuff...

Gordon Lightfoot
Cat Yusef Stevens
Led Zeppelin (yes, they did some light stuff) :y: :D

my gf drug me to a bob seger concert a few months ago in columbus. im 25 she is 24 (her wax collection def has her being born in the wrong era). anyway i wasnt looking forward to it. I always hated sax rock and seger always came across as sax poppy rock.... that old man rocks. seeing him live and hearing all of his songs that i didnt realize were his songs really mad me respect and enjoy the show. there were 3 encores and only one short intermission he was a marathon man. gotta respect it. Im more of a zepplin, velvet underground, captain beefheart kind of classic rock guy if im going to listen to it. seger really puts on a show tho.

The lack of pink floyd talk here makes me sad... does it get much better? Pink Floyd Darkside of the moon is the second best selling album of all time! second only to thriller.

As for the original post, john denver barely got a page (if even) in my rock history of the 70's and 80's class text book while ej got 1/4 of a lecture (lol best 300 level class i ever took). he may have won the awards but elton made an impression. play some john denver to a 20 something then play some elton john to the same 20 something more than likely they will know ej over jd... imo thats the stat that matters. How much of the artists music makes 2 generations past release date or further.

Browne was another that was run into the ground on our classic station, but not as bad as Seger.

Another group they did that to was America.

I was a big Chad Mitchell Trio fan back in the day. when they replaced Chad it basicly came down to a coin toss between two guys. One became the John Denver we remember, the other became "Cowboy Bob", who hosted a kiddie cartoon program in Indianapolis on WTTV- channel 4.

This explaines a lot about "Cowboy Bob"........:eyeroll:

I remember in the early 70's the Beatles and Moody Blues were still played a lot on the radio then later Elton, Zep, Aerosmith, Mac, Deep Purple and Jethro Tull. Pink Floyd was my absolute favorite but didn't seem to get as much airtime even though DSOTM sales went nuts but their concerts were unrivaled (I saw them 6 times). Dont remember John Denver getting as much airtime as Elton.

Last edited:
This is like comparing apples to oranges.
Denver wrote his own songs and was not really hard rock.
Elton never wrote his songs and had many hard rock tunes.
I think both are great!
Cornyl

This is like comparing apples to oranges.
Denver wrote his own songs and was not really hard rock.
Elton never wrote his songs and had many hard rock tunes.
I think both are great!
Cornyl

Er, Elton didn't write his own lyrics, but he most certainly did write the music.

I never liked Zeppelin either, I think largely because I dislike Plant's voice, and I'm a fan of good songs (melody, harmony, structure), not of lots of guitar playing. I wouldn't say anything bad about them, though - they certainly revolutionized rock music, had talent, and some variety. Just not my taste. I'm on board with the CCR/Grateful Dead gang (though not anything the Dead ever recorded - their recordings are almost universally dull and lifeless, IMHO).

I spent most of the 70s wondering why people were listening to 70s stuff instead of the Beatles, Airplane, Moby Grape, etc.

I never liked Zeppelin either, I think largely because I dislike Plant's voice, and I'm a fan of good songs (melody, harmony, structure), not of lots of guitar playing.
I feel that way about Geddy Lee's voice, but their music is so good that I still listen to them. As far as Zeppelin and melody, harmony, and structure, it is there in spades, but it's the guitars and keys of Page and Jones. Most of the songs after the first couple of albums were deeply orchestrated, but used layers of different sounding guitars and keys instead of a traditional orchestra. A listen to Archilles' Last Stand with a good set of headphones will explain what I mean. Each time you listen to a later Zeppelin song, it seems like you can pick out a different guitar part hidden in the mix behind the main guitars and Hammond or Mellotron. :cool:

And I agree, Floyd was awesome. I can listen to Gilmour solo all day. Every time I channel surf and find him on Palladia, I stop and listen to his live music. They gave Clapton the title of "Slowhand", but Gilmour is the one that deserves it.

I feel that way about Geddy Lee's voice, but their music is so good that I still listen to them. As far as Zeppelin and melody, harmony, and structure, it is there in spades, but it's the guitars and keys of Page and Jones. Most of the songs after the first couple of albums were deeply orchestrated, but used layers of different sounding guitars and keys instead of a traditional orchestra. A listen to Archilles' Last Stand with a good set of headphones will explain what I mean. Each time you listen to a later Zeppelin song, it seems like you can pick out a different guitar part hidden in the mix behind the main guitars and Hammond or Mellotron. :cool:

And I agree, Floyd was awesome. I can listen to Gilmour solo all day. Every time I channel surf and find him on Palladia, I stop and listen to his live music. They gave Clapton the title of "Slowhand", but Gilmour is the one that deserves it.

Yeah I can relate, re: Geddy Lee. That guy is like nails on chalk board for me, yet I love Rush. I play 2112 quite often, I really don't care for anything they did after that but I dig all of the early albums.

Another nails on the chalk board voice is Axel Rose. I hear that guy singing and I want to punch a wall. I never got the appeal of Guns and Roses.

Pink Floyd may not have gotten a lot of play back in the seventies but they sure get tons of air time now. My local station plays Floyd at least once an hour. That's fine with me, can never get enough Floyd.

Lately I find myself listening to a lot of 70s AM top 40 stuff. Back then I wouldn't have been caught dead listening to that kind of music. I guess I've mellowed some with age.

I have seriously mellowed, tho I still like to rock.....I have learned to appreciate Karen Carpenter and even some ABBA...
back in the day I could never have even imagined that !
but I have my limits , I still hate journey

Actually Henry John's dad (Henry John Sr.) was the high flier, being a Lt. Colonel in the USAF flying the B-58 Hustler.

The kids still love the Estes Hi Flier, but they can be a bit unstable when poorly built. Then they do a pretty good impression of Henry Jr.’s last flight. Sure hope the Scout Troops don’t get their hands on the upscale version or our RSO will be riding the Crazy Train. . .oops, that was 1980 and not applicable to this thread.

So true Jeff. Too many people look back at the popular music of the 70s and "pigeon hole it" into disco, or some other single category. But those of us who lived and breathed by the vinyl of those days can testify that the music of the 70s was extremely diverse!

In my mind, this poll is like going into Baskin Robins and asking: "Which is the better flavor, Rainbow Sherbet or Butter Pecan?"

Elton was the Rainbow Sherbet and Henry was the Butter Pecan.

I was always about a decade behind in my musical tastes. As a child, I liked 1950s music. In the '70s, I got "into" The Beatles and other sixties artists. In the 1980s, I discovered the music of the 1970s.

Sometime in the 1980s, I ... uhh ... I decided to freeze time and stick with the music of the 1950s to the pre-disco 1970s. :)

Actually, nostalgia has set in and I've found myself singing along with disco hits of my high school years when I hear them. It was certainly a good time for the dance-challenged like myself to go to high school.

I have lots of 1970s music in my collection - everything from Chicago to Aerosmith. But, more recently, I'm more likely to listen to the softer end of things, Harry Nilsson or Paul Simon for example. But, I'll sometimes I'll rattle the walls of our house playing Led Zepplin or whatever.

Didja know that a Harry Nilsson album was the inspiration for Aerosmith's name?

-- Roger

I never got the appeal of Guns and Roses.
What I liked about them was Slash's guitar tone. I saw them live before they hit it big, opening for Aerosmith. Slash's live tone was incredible that night, especially compared to all those hair metal guys with their generic sounding Jackson/Charvel/ESP/Kramer/ Strat copies going through loads of effects into crappy sounding solid state amps. (but having an empty Marshall stack or ten onstage for looks.) Slash was so drunk he could barely stand, but his guitar playing was awesome that night. I could only wonder how much better (or worse) it would have been had he been sober. :eek:

The lack of pink floyd talk here makes me sad... does it get much better? Pink Floyd Darkside of the moon is the second best selling album of all time! second only to thriller.

And that was not even their best stuff. Never was and never will be another group that can even touch them.

"Captain Fantastic" of course, with Paul McCartney & Wings a close second. Locally, Harry Nilsson's Spaceman was played often when it was first released in the late 60's, but now the so-called oldies station never plays it. Alice Cooper plays Nilsson's Jump Into The Fire from time to time on his show.

Last edited:
snip...
Didja know that a Harry Nilsson album was the inspiration for Aerosmith's name? ...
I really liked that little movie as a kid. The Point. Me and My Arrow was kinda the main track from that wasn't it? I have that one in my collection of Harry's tunes. Is that the one you're speaking of? Wasn't the cover for that album a needlepoint of Oblio and Arrow or something close?

Last edited:
I feel that way about Geddy Lee's voice, but their music is so good that I still listen to them.

I couldn't listen to him for more than a few lines. Phew.

As far as Zeppelin and melody, harmony, and structure, it is there in spades, but it's the guitars and keys of Page and Jones. Most of the songs after the first couple of albums were deeply orchestrated, but used layers of different sounding guitars and keys instead of a traditional orchestra. A listen to Archilles' Last Stand with a good set of headphones will explain what I mean. Each time you listen to a later Zeppelin song, it seems like you can pick out a different guitar part hidden in the mix behind the main guitars and Hammond or Mellotron. :cool:

There's a lot of instruments making a lot of music, but that's not the same as playing songs. They're more about playing a lot of stuff - which is fine if that's what you're into - but it's not like having a just plain good song.

The Moody Blues are a good example of what I'm talking about - melody, harmony, structure. I eventually got embarrassed by their cosmic lyrics, but I've started to come back around to them (of course only the real Moodies, not that stuff they came out with in the late 70s and later).

It took me years to get over Peter, Paul and Mary. But in the early 90's they were performing nearby and my mother bribed me to take her! Took me weeks to get Puff the Magic Dragon out of my noggin!:kill:

There's a lot of instruments making a lot of music, but that's not the same as playing songs. They're more about playing a lot of stuff - which is fine if that's what you're into - but it's not like having a just plain good song.
If you limit them to what you hear on radio, and don't particularly like those songs enough to dig into them, yes, but there is much more to them that that. Archillis' Last Stand is probably the most layered and orchestral using guitars (probably a dozen) and keys instead of a traditional orchestra. However, Going To California is an acoustic guitar (two in the studio track) and a mandolin. Lyrically they ranged from simple American (stolen/borrowed) blues to deep mystical content. Zeppelin ranged from simple acoustic folk, to hard rock, to orchestral excess...similar to the Moody Blues if comparing their complete bodies of work. They obviously sound different, but they are still similar in many ways.

Back