EAC Viper XL build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's looking great, Jim! I have used the coupler doubler at the aft end on several rockets and it seems to make quite a difference in durability, especially on a rocket like this, where the fins won't be the first thing to hit the ground. Also, I hadn't thought of putting the baffle elements in the motor tube. I always have put all three elements, the two half moon pieces and the forward, drilled bulkhead in the coupler. I have been wanting to build one of these bigger vipers for a while now. Yours is just about the perfect size. Do you have the markings for it yet? John.

I have vinyl decals for it. I just need to find some magenta spray paint that kind of matches the decals.

vinyl_decal1.jpg

vinyl_decal2.jpg

vinyl_decal3.jpg

That was the hardest part for me on the original, getting that weird pinkish purple trim color right. Good luck with that and be sure to let us know what you come up with. John.

That was the hardest part for me on the original, getting that weird pinkish purple trim color right. Good luck with that and be sure to let us know what you come up with. John.

It's been so long, I can't remember what I used, other than it was Testor's bottled paint. I used to brush a lot of paint on back then, because I never had any luck at all with masking tape.

Was thinking of adding a coupling piece to the bottom of a couple of my models for the same reason. Wasn't sure I was thinking right. Looks like I need to buy some coupler stock to put in the build supplies.

Was thinking of adding a coupling piece to the bottom of a couple of my models for the same reason. Wasn't sure I was thinking right. Looks like I need to buy some coupler stock to put in the build supplies.

I haven't done it enough to know how much it helps, but it certainly can't hurt.

[POW]Eagle159;302557 said:
Wow, That is one GOOD looking rocket!, I love the fins on it, simple and cool!

I wish I could take the credit for the design, but it's an old Estes design. I agree, though, very simple and very cool!

Got the sanding sealer on the fins and sanded them. Also sanded and washed the nose cone.

96_sanding_sealer.jpg

105_sanded.jpg

106_sanded.jpg

94_dish_drainer.jpg

I drilled and installed the rail buttons before I started painting. I took them out again, and will reinstall them when it's all done.

98_rail_buttons.jpg

99_rail_buttons.jpg

100_rail_buttons.jpg

101_rail_buttons.jpg

104_rail_buttons.jpg

There is a bubble in one of the fillets, and a few defects in the wood I didn't see before. I don't know if they bother me enough to fill them or not.

112_defect.jpg

113_defect.jpg

114_defect.jpg

Maybe once or twice in passing. You still get the "benefit" of your kids (son, niece, nephew, etc.) I don't get any respect from mine, either. At least yours show up at the launches, tho.

Well, my nephew and my friend Hanna go with me a lot more than my son does. Joe has never been into rockets much, even as a kid. He does like the CATOS though! Your daughter has been to at least two launches. You should bring her more often. Doesn't she like rockets?

You have done an excellent job so far and I'm sure the paint will be exceptional...looking forward to more pictures.

You have done an excellent job so far and I'm sure the paint will be exceptional...looking forward to more pictures.

Well, thank you! Building the rockets for me is the easy part. Paint scares me! LOL :y:

Well, I went to OSH, Home Depot, and Michael's, and the closest I could come up with is Krylon Raspberry. It's hard to tell with the protective cover on the decal, but it might be close enough. Problem is, I can always repaint the nose cone. But once the decals are on the fins, I won't be able to repaint the stripes. I think I'll look at Testor's spray paint at the hobby shop before I make my final decision.

115_raspberry.jpg

117_nose_cone.jpg

120_nose_cone.jpg

119_nose_cone.jpg

What is it with me and paint? I dropped the still wet nose cone in the grass, then a bug got stuck to it. I'll have to sand it off and start over tomorrow. Geez.

116_nose_cone.jpg

118_bug.jpg

That color looks pretty darn close. Could do with a bit less texture, though.:rant:

That color looks pretty darn close. Could do with a bit less texture, though.:rant:

The more I look at it, the more I think it's close enough. And yeah, I'm not a fan of the unintentional texture either.

Looks good! Color is pretty close in the pictures. Maybe peel the corner back off the vinyl & satisfy yourself.
OK, sure, you dropped it in the yard...I occasionally find cat hair and/or bugs in my paint, some things are not within our control.
Sand 'er down a bit and hit it again (maybe hang it with a string till it dries?) It'll be OK...

As to the texture, spray a couple of coats of Rusto Crystal Clear Enamel and it will even it out. Enamel is very forgiving and levels out well.

It does add a bit of weight, tho. OTOH, you're Captain Low-N-Slow, right?

As to the color match, pinks, magentas, and such colors are easily assumed to be the same shade for some reason. As long as the decal doesn't reside right on top of the color, you should be okay. The white color will overpower any comparison between the decal and the nose cone or other trim locations.

As my high school drafting teacher often said, "Quit trying to pick the ant excrement out of the pepper!" Well...he didn't exactly say "excrement".

God bless, Mr. Bergstrom where ever you are.

Back