EAC Viper clone/upscale questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Who here has built an EAC Viper clone and/or upscale? I'd like to build an upscale, because I had one when I was a kid. I actually got all the way to Skill Level 5! My questions, though, are about paint and decals. The original Estes instructions say to use purple paint, but it looks more magenta to me. What color did you use? On the decals, I know the smaller EAC logos are for the fins. But what are the two bigger ones for?

Also, do these fins look right? They look a little too big to me.

eac_viper.jpg

View attachment EAC_Viper_XL_3in.ork

screenshot.jpg

est0820@.gif

Had one years ago, but I have slept since then, it's all been erased
If memory serves, the decals were not specific to the rocket. They were part of the "membership" pack for what ever. The instructions that I found on JimZ's website just say to put the decal on. I think which one you used was fairly well defined by the fin size.

I do recall that I had trouble finding paint to match. It is more of a magenta than purple. Here is my theory; the rocket was marketed for tweeners. How many 10-12yrolds do you know that knows what magenta is??

I was playing with the Viper in Open Rocket a few months ago, upscaling to 4"... I kinda came up with the same fin question, they seem really big. Unfortunately I let an original go on flea-bay or I could have double checked the measurements.

Hopefully someone who has an original will chime in with some verified dimensions.

Hope this helps
Terry

Who here has built an EAC Viper clone and/or upscale? I'd like to build an upscale, because I had one when I was a kid. I actually got all the way to Skill Level 5! My questions, though, are about paint and decals. The original Estes instructions say to use purple paint, but it looks more magenta to me. What color did you use? On the decals, I know the smaller EAC logos are for the fins. But what are the two bigger ones for?

Also, do these fins look right? They look a little too big to me.

You are right on the decal color. For it to look right, you can try to color match the decals, but I didn't have much luck finding the right color paint when I rebuilt mine.

In addition to the plans saying purple, the catalog models are purple (not the paintings). With that in mind, I found some paint that matched the catalog models and then made my own decals to match the paint. If you look at the lower right hand corner of the 1973 or 1974 catalog, you will see a real catalog model instead of an artist's painting. It has a purple nose cone and the decals are purple instead of the magenta decals that my EAC kit came with. That's why I decided to make my own decals match the purple nose cone on my rebuild.
https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes74/74est76.html

Mine is 1.75" at the root edge, 2" leading edge, 1 7/8" trailing edge, and 1 1/8" tip edge. Keep in mind that these measurements are being taken from a rocket with a LOT of flight time.

Found a pic of my rebuild. I used the original nose cone and original parachute, which has purple in it also. That's why I'm not calling it a clone. :p
FinishedViper2.jpg

Mine is 1.75" at the root edge, 2" leading edge, 1 7/8" trailing edge, and 1 1/8" tip edge. Keep in mind that these measurements are being taken from a rocket with a LOT of flight time.

That helps. It's a BT-50, correct?

Check the archive. I think RoguePink posted some info about it. The only thing I specifically remember is that the yellow colored paint came from Tractor Supply Company.

Check the archive. I think RoguePink posted some info about it. The only thing I specifically remember is that the yellow colored paint came from Tractor Supply Company.

I used Plasti-Kote School Bus Yellow from Tractor Supply on mine. The purple is old formula Krylon "Rich Plum Gloss".

How big are you gonna go on this? A lot of smaller models seem to lose their appeal once you blow them up to three to four inch body tubes. The fins always look too big.

That being said, are you going to do a 4" inch 38mm upscale? :eek:

How big are you gonna go on this? A lot of smaller models seem to lose their appeal once you blow them up to three to four inch body tubes. The fins always look too big.

That being said, are you going to do a 4" inch 38mm upscale? :eek:

No, it'll be a 3" 29mm upscale.

I found Testors Panther Pink was a near perfect match https://www.testors.com/products/136630 . It's actually a Pink/Purple blend. Trying to find a pic of my clone. I'm attaching a cleaned up version of the decals if it's needed.

I'm pretty sure my EAC Viper in the 70's was the magenta, not the purple. I always think of the pinker color when I recall the rocket, because when I was a kid I wondered why they chose such a "sissy" color. But I like the looks of it with the purple, too. I guess it depends on what I can do with the decals.

I think you are right, the reduced fins do look a little less "fat bottom".

Planning mine around an Aerotech nose cone that I have, 24mm motor. Not sure if it will ever get built, have a lot of kits that I don't know what to do with as it is.

Back