Do you believe in the End of the world ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leonard Bernstein!

Too weird Mark, that's the first thing that jumped into my mind when I saw the video posted - must be some sort of psychological thing at work there, or you're psychic...

Offer me solutions,
Offer me alternatives
and I decline...

(can you tell that I am an R.E.M. freak?)

Last edited:
The end of the world is, in fact, scheduled for 8:12pm today. The Mayans can be forgiven for erring by one day in a prediction that far in advance. For those of us on this side of the Atlantic, that's 20:12 20/12/2012.

The people who think an alien spaceship is coming to take them away from the catastrophe are half right. The alien ship's crew saw the prophecy as well and are coming here to help, but due to a piloting error, it's going to crash right on the heads of the "chosen few". They will therefore be the first to die; the rest of us will not survive the result of the ship's explosion. I'm trying to contact the ship to tell them to change course, but there's a bit of a language problem and it's turning into an interstellar version of the old conversation between a US aircraft carrier and a lighthouse. There's still time... :dark:

For now, I recommend that you party like there's no tomorrow. If the world does not end, either today or tomorrow, then on Saturday you party again because there is tomorrow. :cheers:

One thing or another might put and end to the human race perhaps even all forms of advanced life on Earth but the planet, as others have mentioned, will still be here.

The most likely scenario for the “End of the planet” will come a few billion years from now when our sun completes its hydrogen cycle and begins fusing helium into primarily carbon and oxygen. At this time the sun will expand into a red giant and Earth’s orbit will be somewhere inside the photosphere.

Either that or Earth will be destroyed by a Vogon Constructor Fleet to make way for a hyperspace bypass.

What I would like to know is, assuming for a moment that the ancient Maya actually did indicate that the world would end on 12/21/12 (in reality they did no such thing, but let's assume for the sake of argument that they did, or at least that a few not-obviously-insane or terminally-gullible people think that they did), then why should we give that prediction any credibility at all? What was so special about the Maya from a millennium ago that would cause present-day people to believe that they had any special insights about the distant future? I mean, why the Maya, whose civilization collapsed centuries ago? Why would they in particular have any knowledge about the fate of the world that was any better or more accurate than what anyone else thought?

What I would like to know is, assuming for a moment that the ancient Maya actually did indicate that the world would end on 12/21/12 (in reality they did no such thing, but let's assume for the sake of argument that they did, or at least that a few not-obviously-insane or terminally-gullible people think that they did), then why should we give that prediction any credibility at all? What was so special about the Maya from a millennium ago that would cause present-day people to believe that they had any special insights about the distant future? I mean, why the Maya, whose civilization collapsed centuries ago? Why would they in particular have any knowledge about the fate of the world that was any better or more accurate than what anyone else thought?

They are full of wisdom such that they went extinct. Isn't that enough?

Here is your answer.

IDK

You can convince the Sheeple of just about anything, just look around at all the insane and ridiculous religious beliefs we have in the world.

I figured out how the end could be predicted accurately way in advance and have no warning of it approaching.

Let us suspend reality for a moment.

There are many that think the Mayans had contact with aliens as indicated by the coffin lid with the guy that looks like a spaceman.
The aliens have the ability to cover vast distances quickly by faster than light, wormhole, etc.
The aliens witness a supernova/gamma ray burst occur thousands of light years away, they come here and tell the Mayans the exact time and day it will arrive.

Return to reality, I have made plans for Saturday

Mark

It's something like 3:26 GMT---12/21/12---I'm still here---maybe they meant CST?---Hello--anybody out there?---Hello,hello---Bermuda-can you hear me? What's that you say London? You see a bri..................................................................

I figured out how the end could be predicted accurately way in advance and have no warning of it approaching.

Let us suspend reality for a moment.

There are many that think the Mayans had contact with aliens as indicated by the coffin lid with the guy that looks like a spaceman.
The aliens have the ability to cover vast distances quickly by faster than light, wormhole, etc.
The aliens witness a supernova/gamma ray burst occur thousands of light years away, they come here and tell the Mayans the exact time and day it will arrive.

Mark

So do I and beyond, I think the "END" has been misunderstood and/or misinterpreted....

Scott

Mark

I don't have plans for Saturday, but that is normal.

45min until midnight here. I'm thinking I need to survive the full 25 hours from now to be sure.

I understand the best thing about living in 2012 is we don't have to cower in fear when the thunder claps and worry about fairy tale gods being angry.

I understand the best thing about living in 2012 is we don't have to cower in fear when a comet appears in our skies (unless on a collision course!) and worry about fairy tale gods being angry.

I understand the best thing about living in 2012 is we don't have to cower in fear when a solar eclipse occurs and worry about fairy tale gods being angry.

I understand the best thing about living in 2012 is we don't have to cower in fear when a lunar eclipse occurs and worry about fairy tale gods being angry.

I understand the best thing about living in 2012 is we don't have to cower in fear when a volcano erupts and worry about fairy tale gods being angry.

I understand the best thing about living in 2012 is we don't have to cower in fear and worry about some mythical 'god' being angry when the Earth moves.

I understand the best thing about living in 2012 is we don't have to cower in fear and worry about some mythical 'god' being angry when a hurricane comes.

I understand the best thing about living in 2012 is I have the resources, techniques, experiments, and evidence to dismiss with confidence and without ego, anyone or anything that purports to 'know better'.

End of the world? If it is, I assure you its because "stuff happens" and the law of large numbers. Not because any culture then OR NOW(!!), has some deity, decider, or calendar deciding what tomorrow will bring.

YMMV.

So is this thing Eastern Standard Time or what? It's past 1 AM and I am still here. Still have electricity. No rioting in the streets. No zombies. It is raining however, maybe that kept the scheduled activities down?

I absolutely, positively believe in the end of the world. It will occur a few billion years down the road when the Sun becomes a red giant and the Earth is reduced to a few cinders blowing in the solar wind. Whether the human race (or any species currently extant or developing in the interim on this planet) will be there to witness the act is more than I'm willing to speculate about.

The radio just let us know that this is not a test...

[video=youtube;t039p6xqutU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t039p6xqutU[/video]

We should draw up a calendar for the next couple of thousand years. On the last day of 3999, put an entry for 23:59 saying "That's all, folks" with a picture of a rabbit wearing a space suit and looking at a star map centred on the Eridani constellation. Then get drunk and imagine people in 3999 getting worried about the end of the world.

And then imagine some Mayans doing something similar a few centuries ago. :D

Not only do I believe in the 2012 apocalypse, but I also believe in reincarnation. I was just reincarnated as myself, only a day later.

Still here!
So was today the last day?
If so then we still have most of the day to go.....

They called me a little while ago, they're just running a little late.

Do you believe in the End of the world ?

its almost Friday, people over the world talking about the end of the world, but do you believe it ?
I don't, and if so , and the Aliens are coming, they gonna help me to build the first UFO propulsion engine in my rocket

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38GLgYETjWk">YouTube Link</a>

Well, not any more... LOL

:)

Back