Do you believe in the End of the world ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, 5 billion years from now we should be able to move the Earth to a more distant orbit. The seasons might be a little longer though...

Regarding 12/21/12:

maya_cartoon.JPG

It will end (I read the back of The Book). But there will be a new one in its place. :)

I don't think that it will end in the next few days. But I could be wrong.

Greg

The way I heard it, Qetzocoatl and his legion of Ghost-Leopards will arrive at 3:37 pm EST to devour our souls . . . . but not before stealing all of the Christmas presents from Mommy & Daddy's closet, stomping them, and peeing on them.

But just in cast, I'm going to mail Christmas cards and finish painting my new shop this week.

music2.jpg

Well they say the Mayans said the world is just about to go to hell,
So Thursday I'm gonna party like it's December 2012...

Prince+2011-vs.jpg

The world ain't going anywhere anytime soon, people on the other hand... well we're all living on borrowed time.

It is written. I would be ready if you know what I mean!!
No man knows the hour, but It will happen.
The Era of Man is almost over.

Thanks nh4cio4, I'm checking ancestry.com to make sure I'm not related to any of those folk! I feel a prediction coming on---whew--that was close!

You are welcome. That was courtesy of Wikipedia, BTW. I did not do all that work myself... Their list is longer, as it starts way before my time. The stuff I posted is only the part that was during my lifetime. :shock:

Do I believe in the End Of The World? Absolutely - in several million or billion years, the sun will go nova and expand out enough to cook this world to a cinder. On Friday? Doomsday predictions are always based on selective interpretation (read wishful thinking) of some text, be it the Bible, the supposed "Mayan Calender" or the newspaper at the bottom of the birdcage. There is a quirk in our brain structure that tries to find patterns in randomness (probably a leftover of the instinct to pick a camouflaged predator out of the tall grass in the savana), and this falls over into "prediction". Hence things like the bible code (if you take ANY text and arrange that text into an array that can be whatever size you want, letters can line up to say anything you want).

Besides, the so called Mayan Calender that everyone keeps pointing to isn't even a Calender. Besides, every Calender I have ever purchased has ended at December 31 - the only thing that means is that it's time to buy a new Calender!

I believe when these star is nearby
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_710

our Oort clouds will collide and years after, asteroids arrived from the Oort cloud to the earth , and game over ,
but thats in the next million years

what I do now, is in February 2021 the biggest Earthquake will occur somewhere , but this earthquake is much bigger than everything in the past thousands of years.

Well I'll clarify some things from my ancestors, they were astronomers good ones too to this very day modern astronomy accepts the Mayans for their work, the Mayan is like an ordinary 365 calendar but this one was the years it takes to make one orbit around the galaxy meaning on December 21st 2012 marks of the many orbits the solar system had made around the galaxy. There is no Mayan prophecy, all that there is a calendar no text have been found saying nothing about the world ending its all a huge scandal by the internet, and press. I'm going to get a bit religious here, Not even Jesus knows when the world will end only his father GOD knows when.
Oh and the "warning signs" of the so called "prophecy" they been going on for years and decades its normal for a hurricane to come and make destruction Hurricane Andrew destroyed South FL no one said the world was going to end back then, the earthquakes in japan, Haiti they are common like the 1985 Mexico earthquake.
In my 19years of being alive on this planet i have been told so many times the world is end that it doesnt bother me now, but this one is getting annoying now.
Any ways dont worry by the time it's Dec 21st 2012 it'll be the 22nd in Australia.

Of course I do. I know what I am talking about, I have been through so many of them already...:wink:

1984, Oct 2 Jehovah's Witnesses
Another prediction of the end from the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Hmmm... never heard that one, and I'm a Jehovah's Witness(for the record, JW's have never said the world would end on a certain date. Only God knows that)........ That being said, yes we do preach that this world will end, but not the literal world or earth, but the present system of things. The sun will not die out as the Bible assures us of that. Present world conditions were also predicted (2 Tim 3:1-5) to show us that "in the last days, critical times hard to deal with will be here..." We cannot deny that we are living in critical times today, thus helping us to see that we in the last days.

As for it ending Friday, I doubt it. Not because so many previous predictions have failed, but because there are other Bible prophecies that have yet to be fulfilled before that time comes.

I doubt it will end, but just to be safe I'm going to go to Chuck Norris and stay near him. If the world ends, he gets another 10 minutes.

Last edited:
As everybody else has already said - Yes, it will end. Just not this weekend. It's going to take a few more days(heeheehee). IF the Mayans were right I'll be just as surprised as everybody else. Besides I have too many rockets to launch to have it end too soon.:wink:

I once read that no one knows the day or time, so I think we are good for Saturday launches.

Well I'll clarify some things from my ancestors, they were astronomers good ones too to this very day modern astronomy accepts the Mayans for their work, the Mayan is like an ordinary 365 calendar but this one was the years it takes to make one orbit around the galaxy meaning on December 21st 2012 marks of the many orbits the solar system had made around the galaxy.

A galactic year is much longer, at an estimated 225-250 million years, than the time span covered by the Mayan calendar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_year

Reinhard

You are welcome. That was courtesy of Wikipedia, BTW. I did not do all that work myself... Their list is longer, as it starts way before my time. The stuff I posted is only the part that was during my lifetime. :shock:

Claude? You really had me worried last night when i read your reply.....I was thinking man o man Claude's taken the day off and, locked himself in a closet with his laptop.....

I would have to argue though that the ancient Mayan's DID have some "Street Creed"......They just took off down the wrong street and, NEVER came home....Still a mystery to mankind. :surprised:

Well i should have read the rest of the post this morning but, whats done is whats done....

When i got back in from my run this morning i marched into the boss's office and demanded the next three nights off from work.....Drove like a madman all the way home....ran in the house and grabbed all the gift cards i was going to give out for Christmas and, ran into town for some quick shopping....

Well, here i am surrounded by alot of end of the world supplies and, hastily unwrapped Christmas gifts.....I've got a big cooler of Mountain Dews on ice, $50 dollars worth of Penn Station Rueben Subs "extra kraut please!" (Sorry Little Sis...) A new Blu-ray player (Sorry Little Brother...) The most awesome box collection of "From The Earth To The Moon" playing on it (Sorry Kids...) Wrapped up in Zebra stripped Snuggie (Sorry Mom...) Wearing some rather tight fuzzy slippers (Sorry Better Half...) Wearing an Adult Diaper (Sorry Dad...) AND....AND...i'm NOT getting off the couch for ANYTHING....

If the end of the world is coming....BRING IT ON.....

I only feel remiss that Claude and, i may never get to build that "semi scale" Sprint ABM and stuff an N-10,000 up its backside...

Dang....i was really looking forward to doing that one....;)

Wrapped up in Zebra stripped Snuggie (Sorry Mom...) Wearing some rather tight fuzzy slippers (Sorry Better Half...) Wearing an Adult Diaper (Sorry Dad...) AND....AND...i'm NOT getting off the couch for ANYTHING....

If the end of the world is coming....BRING IT ON.....

Gus you are killing me… :lol:

Yes, it was just copy-and-paste from Wikipedia.

The end of the world will have to wait. It cannot end before we make that Sprint ABM thing happen. If not on an N-10000 then maybe on an O-25000. Not sure what it is going to take. 50 pounds of lead shot in the nose cone, clear fins, whatever...

Yup....i was thinking the same thing with the O-25,000.
BIG clear fins.....standing back along ways when the button gets pushed...:jaw: Might...want to start small with the "N thing" though.

I digress....Back to the quote.

You might want to try it sometime.....You know when there's like back to back football games or something and, you really DON'T want to leave the couch. Just remember to put on a big Snuggie......

Oh look its Peyton Manning! *Brapppp* Shouldn't have left Indiana fool......Look Honey! The Bears are going to *Ugggghhhh....* get waxed by someone today!
Smell? *sniff* *sniff* I don't smell anything.....I don't know maybe your cat crawled under the couch again and took a d*mp......Light a candle or something....
Go get me another Mtn. Dew.....I'm NOT getting off this couch for ANYTHING today.....

Did you ever wonder why most of us Truck Drivers go through 3-4 NASTY divorces before just giving up....buying a dog....and, moving out to a trailer park in the suburbs?

Just kidding.....I would never treat a woman that way.....I'm owned by a Redhead.....NEVER anger a Redhead......

Of course I do. I know what I am talking about, I have been through so many of them already...:wink:

1959, April 22 Florence Houteff

Believing that the end of time was imminent, Mrs. Houteff and her council began a campaign to evangelize across the U.S., Canada, the West Indies and western Asia. The campaign included publicity events such as equipping cars with signs that read, "Hear Ye The Rod," a Biblical reference (Micah 6:9) to "The Shepherd's Rod" Message. The cars also were outfitted with loudspeakers to broadcast the Rod message to passersby.

1962, Feb 4 Jeane Dixon
This psychic predicted a planetary alignment on this day was to bring destruction to the world.

1967 Jim Jones
The founder of the Peoples Temple stated he had visions that a nuclear holocaust was to take place in 1967.

1967, Aug 20 George Van Tassel
This day would mark the beginning of the third woe of the Apocalypse, during which the southeastern US would be destroyed by a Soviet nuclear attack, according to this UFO prophet, who claimed to have channeled an alien named Ashtar.

1969 Charles Manson
Manson predicted that an apocalyptic race war would occur in 1969 and ordered the Tate-LaBianca murders in an attempt to bring it about.

1969, Aug 9 George Williams
The founder of the Church of the Firstborn predicted the Second Coming of Christ would occur on this day.

1972 Herbert W. Armstrong
The second of three revised dates from Armstrong after his 1936 and 1943 predictions failed to come true.

1973, Jan 11-21 David Berg
Berg, the leader of Children of God predicted that there would be a colossal doomsday event heralded by Comet Kohoutek.

1975 Herbert W. Armstrong Armstrong's fourth and final false prediction.
Jehovah's Witnesses
In 1966 Jehovah's Witnesses estimated it would be 6000 years since man's creation in the fall of 1975 and it would be "appropriate" for Christ's thousand-year reign to begin at that time. These claims were repeated throughout the late 1960s and in 1974 they reaffirmed there was just a short time remaining before "the wicked world's end".

1977 John Wroe
The founder of the Christian Israelite Church predicted this year for Armageddon to occur.

William M. Branham
This Christian minister predicted the Rapture would occur no later than 1977.

1980 Leland Jensen
In 1978 Jensen predicted that there would be a nuclear disaster in 1980, followed by two decades of conflict, culminating in God's Kingdom being established on earth.

1980s Hal Lindsey
Lindsey book The 1980s: Countdown to Armageddon stated ""the decade of the 1980s could very well be the last decade of history as we know it" and that the U.S. could be "destroyed by a surprise Soviet nuclear attack.". The book strongly suggests that the 1980s would see the biblical events of tribulation and end times come to pass.

1981 Chuck Smith
The founder of Calvary Chapel predicted the generation of 1948 would be the last generation, and that the world would end by 1981 at the latest.

1982, Mar 10 John Gribbin, Stephen Plagemann
Stated in their book The Jupiter Effect that combined gravitational forces of lined up planets were supposed to bring the end of the world on this day.

1982, Jun 21 Benjamin Creme
Creme took out an ad in the Los Angeles stating the Second Coming would occur in June 1982 with the Maitreya announcing it on worldwide television.

1982, Oct/Nov Pat Robertson
In late 1976 Robertson predicted that the end of the world was coming in October or November 1982.

1984, Oct 2 Jehovah's Witnesses
Another prediction of the end from the Jehovah's Witnesses.

1985 Lester Sumrall
This minister predicted the end in this year, even writing a book about it entitled I Predict 1985.

1987–1988 Noah Hutchings,
The president of the Southwest Radio Church suggested that the Rapture would take place "possibly in 1987 or 1988."

1987, Apr 29 Leland Jensen
Jensen predicted that Halley's Comet would be pulled into Earth's orbit on April 29, 1988, causing widespread destruction.

1987, Aug 17 José Argüelles
Argüelles claimed that Armageddon would take place unless 144,000 people gathered in certain places in the world in order to "resonate in harmony" on this day.

1988 Hal Lindsey
Lindsey suggested that the Rapture would take this year, reasoning that it was 40 years (one Biblical generation) after Israel gained statehood.

1988, Sep/Oct Edgar C. Whisenant
Whisenant predicted in his book 88 Reasons Why the Rapture Could Be in 1988 that the Rapture of the Christian Church would occur between 11 and 13 September 1988. After his September predictions failed to come true, Whisenant revised his prediction date to October 3.

1989, Sep 30 Edgar C. Whisenant
After all his 1988 predictions failed to come true, Whisenant revised his prediction date to this day.

1990, Apr 23 Elizabeth Clare Prophet
Prophet predicted a nuclear war would start on this day, with the world ending 12 years later, leading her followers to stockpile a shelter with supplies and weapons. Later, after Prophet's prediction did not come to pass, she was diagnosed with epilepsy and Alzheimer's disease.

1991 Louis Farrakhan
The leader of the Nation of Islam declared that the Gulf War would be the "War of Armageddon which is the final war."

1992, Sep 28 Rollen Stewart
This born-again Christian predicted the Rapture would take place on this day.

1992, Oct 28 Lee Rang Jim
Lee, the leader of the Dami Mission in Seoul, predicted the Rapture on this day. South Korean officials took elaborate precautions against a mass suicide, posting 1,500 riot officers to monitor about a thousand followers who had gathered in the group's headquarters to await the Rapture. Their efforts were successful, although four group members had committed suicide in previous days.

1993 David Berg
Berg predicted the tribulation would start in 1989 and that the Second Coming would take place in 1993.

1994, May 2 Neal Chase
This Bahá'í sect leader predicted that New York would be destroyed by a nuclear bomb on March 23, 1994, and the Battle of Armageddon would take place 40 days later.

1994, Sep/Oct Harold Camping
Camping predicted the Rapture would occur on September 6, 1994. When it failed to occur he revised the date to September 29 and then to October 2.

1995, Mar 31 Harold Camping
Camping's fourth predicted date for the end. This would be Camping's last prediction until 2011.

1996, Dec 17 Sheldon Nidle
California psychic Sheldon Nidle predicted that the world would end on this date, with the arrival of 16 million space ships and a host of angels.

1997, Mar 26 Marshall Applewhite
Applewhite, leader of the Heaven's Gate cult, claimed that a spacecraft was trailing the Comet Hale-Bopp and argued that suicide was "the only way to evacuate this Earth" so that the cult members' souls could board the supposed craft and be taken to another "level of existence above human". Applewhite and 38 of his followers committed mass suicide.

1997, Oct 23 James Ussher
This 17th-century Irish Archbishop predicted this date to be 6000 years since Creation, and therefore the end of the world.

1998, Mar 31 Hon-Ming Chen
Hon-Ming Chen, leader of the Taiwanese cult God's Salvation Church, or Chen Tao — "The True Way" — claimed that God would come to Earth in a flying saucer at 10:00 am on this date. Moreover, God would have the same physical appearance as Chen himself. On March 25, God was to appear on Channel 18 on every TV set in the US. Chen chose to base his cult in Garland, Texas, because he thought it sounded like "God's Land."

1999 Seventh-day Adventists
Some literature distributed by Seventh-day Adventists predicted the end in this year.
Charles Berlitz
This linguist predicted the end would occur in this year. He did not predict how it would occur, stating it may involve nuclear devastation, asteroid impact, pole shift or other earth changes.
1999, Jul Nostradamus
A prediction attributed to Nostradamus stating the "King of Terror" would come from the sky in "1999 and seven months" led to fears of the end.

1999, Aug 18 The Amazing Criswell
The predicted date of the end of the world, according to this psychic well known for false predictions.

1999, Dec 31 Hon-Ming Chen
Hon-Ming Chen's cult God's Salvation Church, now relocated to upstate New York, preached that a nuclear holocaust would destroy Europe and Asia sometime between October 1 and December 31, 1999.

'Before' 2000 Hal Lindsey
After his 1980's predictions failed to come true, Lindsay published the book Planet Earth 2000 A.D. in 1994, which stated that Christians should not plan to still be on earth by the year 2000.
James Gordon Lindsay
This preacher predicted the tribulation would begin before the year 2000.
Texe Marrs
This conspiracy theorist stated that the last days could "wrap up by the year 2000."
Timothy Dwight IV
This President of Yale University foresaw the Millennium starting by 2000.
Jehovah's Witnesses
In 1971, and again in 1984, the Jehovah's Witnesses stated the end would be before the end of the 20th century.

2000 - c. Peter Olivi
This 13th-century theologian wrote that the Antichrist would come to power between 1300 and 1340, and the Last Judgement would take place around 2000.
Helena Blavatsky
The founder of Theosophy foresaw the end of the world in this year.
Isaac Newton
Newton predicted that Christ's Millennium would begin in the year 2000 in his book Observations upon the Prophecies of Daniel, and the Apocalypse of St. John.
Ruth Montgomery
This self-described Christian psychic predicted the Earth's axis would shift and the Antichrist would reveal himself in this year.
Edgar Cayce
This psychic predicted the Second Coming would occur this year.
Sun Myung Moon
The founder of the Unification Church predicted the Kingdom of Heaven would be established in this year.
Ed Dobson
This pastor predicted the end would occur in his book The End: Why Jesus Could Return by A.D. 2000.
Lester Sumrall
This minister predicted the end in his book I Predict 2000.
Jonathan Edwards
This 18th-century preacher predicted that Christ's thousand-year reign would begin in this year.
2000, Jan 1 Various Predictions of a Y2k computer bug were to crash many computers and would malfunction causing major catastrophes worldwide and that society would cease to function.
Credonia Mwerinde, Joseph Kibweteere
An estimated 778 followers of this Ugandan religious movement perished in a devastating fire and a series of poisonings and killings that were either a group suicide or an orchestrated mass murder by group leaders after their predictions of the apocalypse failed to come about.
Jerry Falwell
Falwell foresaw God pouring out his judgement on the world on this day.
Tim LaHaye, Jerry B. Jenkins
These Christian authors stated the Y2K bug would trigger global economic chaos, which the Antichrist would use to rise to power. As the date approached however they changed their minds.

2000, April 6 James Harmston
The leader of the True and Living Church of Jesus Christ of Saints of the Last Days predicted the Second Coming of Christ would occur on this day.

2000, May 5 Nuwaubian Nation
This movement claimed that the planetary lineup would cause a "star holocaust," pulling the planets toward the sun on this day.

2000, Oct 9 Grant Jeffrey
This bible teacher suggested this date as the "probable termination point for the 'last days.'"

2000, Dec 31 Various Christians The end of the Second Christian Millenium. When the Year 2000 Apocalypse failed to materialize, believers asserted that the Second Millennium would end on this date.

2001 Tynetta Muhammad
This columnist for the Nation of Islam predicted the end would occur in this year.

2003, May Nancy Lieder
Lieder originally predicted the date for the Nibiru collision as May 2003. According to her website, aliens in the Zeta Reticuli star system told her through messages via a brain implant of a planet which would enter our solar system and cause a pole shift on earth that would destroy most of humanity.

2003, Nov 29 Aum Shinrikyo
This Japanese cult predicted the world would be destroyed by a nuclear war between October 30 and November 29, 2003.

2006, Sep 12 House of Yahweh
Yisrayl Hawkins, Pastor and Overseer, The House of Yahwah, Abilene, Texas in the Feb. 2006 newsletter predicted the start of nuclear war on September 12, 2006.

2007, Apr 29 Pat Robertson
In his 1990 book The New Millennium, Robertson suggests this date as the day of Earth's destruction.

2008, Sep 10 – c. Various A number of groups claimed that activation of the Large Hadron Collider experiment would bring about the end of the world through the production of planet-eating micro black holes or strangelets. Similar claims were made about 2010, March 30, when the collider reached maximum energy. See safety of particle collisions at the Large Hadron Collider.

2010 Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn
This magic order predicted the world would end in this year.

2011, May 21 Harold Camping
Camping predicted that the Rapture and devastating earthquakes would occur on May 21, 2011 with God taking approximately 3% of the world's population into Heaven, and that the end of the world would occur five months later on October 21.

2011, Aug–Oct Various There were fears amongst the public that Comet Elenin travelling almost directly between Earth and the Sun would cause disturbances to the Earth's crust, causing massive earthquakes and tidal waves. Others predicted that Elenin would collide with Earth on October 16. Scientists tried to calm fears by stating that none of these events were possible.

2011, Sep 29 Ronald Weinland
Ronald Weinland stated Jesus Christ would return on this day. He prophesied nuclear explosions in U.S. port cities by July 2008 as the blowing of the Second Trumpet of Revelation. After his prophecy failed to come true he changed the date for the return of Jesus Christ to May 27, 2012.

2011, Oct 21 Harold Camping
When his original date failed to come about, Camping revised his prediction and said that on May 21, a "Spiritual Judgment" took place, and that both the physical Rapture and the end of the world would occur on October 21, 2011.

2012, May 27 Ronald Weinland
Ronald Weinland stated Jesus Christ would return and the world would end on this day.

2012, June 30 José Luis de Jesús
José Luis de Jesús predicted that the world's governments and economies would fail on this day, and that he and his followers would undergo a transformation that would allow them to fly and walk through walls.

Wow I forgot I survived all those doomsdays.

I need a nap.
Someone wake me Friday morning, Don't want to miss it!!!!!!
:wave:

Depending on which planet you're on or from, your times may vary, but for me on every year like clockwork, my year ends at 23:59:59 on December 31 and restarts at 00:00.00 January 1 unless some sneaky astrophysicist slips in a leap second or 2. :wink:

Bob

Well someone had to post it.....

[YOUTUBE]Z0GFRcFm-aY[/YOUTUBE]

Back