Cleaning Alligator Clips

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accooper

Reaction score
I read some where on how to clean alligator clips by dipping them into something, but I can't remember where I read it. Any help here?

Andrew

Alligator clips have teeth and the best way to clean them is the cut them off your wires, and solder on smooth jawed micro-clips. Use either the stainless steel micro-clips (you can get them from NARTS) or the solid copper "34-C" clips.

Andrew is a member of my club. Most of us know the arguments back and forth about micro clips and alligators but the majority seem to prefer the toothed clips. We have found them more dependable and adaptable. They cause problems sometimes but not as often as the smooth micros.

That said, we have usually just replaced them instead of trying to clean them other than an occasional squirt and swipe with WD40. I would think vinegar would etch and promote corrosion at an even faster rate.

It would be great if there was some type of solution to just immerse them in the same manner as the old denture cleaners: drop them in and take them out later.

I read some where on how to clean alligator clips by dipping them into something, but I can't remember where I read it. Any help here?

Andrew

White Vinegar works very well for cleaning Alligator clips and blast deflectors, even takes off Burned on AP exhaust.

I also agree with Shread, better way is to use smooth jaw 1-1/8" micro Clips either Stainless Steel or Nickel clad Copper. they are just some much better for both contact and cleaning.

"Hint" bending a U in the igniter leads gives the clip twice the contect surface and helps hold the clips steady in breezy conditions;)

Last edited:
Toothed vs. smooth clips is a moot point for me. Both clubs I fly with use toothed. Haven't had any problems with the clips. I carry an emery board in my pocket, if they're that dirty, I just clean them quickly with that.

To answer the question, WD-4 will remove the gunk quickly, period. Open the clip, spritz it on with the little red tube attachment and let it sit for about 5 seconds, then hit it again to rinse off the crud. It works well enough that we have been using the same clip whip for over 10 years and we spend less than 30 seconds cleaning it after multiple cluster launches and with no effort.

To each his own on the clips but I much prefer teeth to smooth, especially when clustering. Alligator clips have a much stronger grip than micro clips. If a rocket has to sit on the pad for a bit, especially if there's much breeze at all, it's not uncommon for smooth clips to slide or slip off the leads. I have never had that happen with alligator clips but I've seen it happen even to single engine rockets too many times using micro clips, so for clustering or single engine, I want something I know will stay on ALL the leads, even if it sits on the pad for hours.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

I agree with the WD-40 as well. There is a little can you can now buy to take along with your launch. I generally like to clean the rod with it as well.

Nitrosolve or Hoppes #9 bore cleaner. Get it at any sporting goods store that sells gun stuff. Works great for cleaning motor cases too. Can you say clean as new?

Nitrosolve or Hoppes #9 bore cleaner. Get it at any sporting goods store that sells gun stuff. Works great for cleaning motor cases too. Can you say clean as new?

+1 this stuff is designed to clean powder residue and gunk.

Back