Build Thread - Logo Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am guessing but don't know: is a "needle driver" a type of tool for pushing sutures?

Where are they obtained?

Are there other, preferable alternatives for those not in the sandbox?

That is exactly what it is. It has wider jaws and no teeth. This allows you to grip a larger area of the paper.

2013-03-30 14.33.58.jpg
Image of the two parts I decided to assemble next. I really thought it would be more difficult to assemble a card stock rocket, but the tabs really do go together well.
I applied a small amount of glue with a q-tip like before and put parts 1 and 2 together and then I let them dry for 15-20 minutes.

2013-03-30 14.36.11.jpg
Parts 1 and 2 together.

The next step I did was to cut out the fins. I cut out the fin wraps and template with scissors and then I used the template to trace the fin shape.

I cut the fin out with an exacto knife. I then sanded the edges and surfaces to prepare them for gluing the wraps on.

2013-03-30 12.27.02.jpg
The sheet containing the fin template and wraps.

2013-03-30 12.45.50.jpg
The wood with the template on top and a few of the fin traces.

2013-03-30 13.06.47.jpg
The fins and wraps all cut out - not sanded yet.

2013-03-30 13.28.25.jpg

Dry fitting the nose weight. I glued it in place with tight bond mold and trip.

I next turned to assembling the tail section. It allowed the nose and fins to dry.

2013-03-30 17.15.30.jpg
The 2 bottom body sections glued together.

2013-03-30 17.12.26.jpg
Next I inserted and glued in place the bottom centering ring. Make sure you dry fit it first.

2013-03-30 17.34.34.jpg
The next step is to add the 3rd section to the tail of the body. I used a crackberry, as did the instructions, to hold pressure. A cell phone was amazingly the right weight.

Attachments

• 2013-03-30 17.39.47.jpg
    2013-03-30 17.39.47.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 124
I repeated the same steps and inserted more centering rings. I lost some of the photos but the steps pretty much are the same to attach each section and centering ring.

2 tips - 1) check that they fit the motor tube before you glue them in place, 2) try to get the centering rings level.

The last section to be glued is the shoulder of the nose cone. It glues the same as the rest, but DO NOT glue it is to the aft section.

2013-03-30 17.54.47.jpg

One last body section added.

2013-03-30 18.01.12.jpg

Next part is to add the motor tube and fins.

I inserted the motor tube and carefully ensured their was enough room for the Faux Nozzle. I glued it in place from both the top and bottom. I used a long q-tip to add glue to each centering ring and to the motor tube. I took care not to get it on the exposed motor tube.

I used an Estes Fin Jig to attach the fins.

2013-03-31 07.12.17.jpg

2013-04-07 11.34.44.jpg

The last step I did was to glue the nozzle on and add the launch lug.

The pic of above is of the completed rocket.

Lessons Learned:
1) It is hard to build a rocket in a combat zone unless you are member of the PLO or other organizations. The mail room gives you trouble mailing them home.

2) Card stock builds are in ways more fun than standard rocket kits.

3) Make sure you charger for your camera is 220v compatible when overseas.

Thanks for the opportunity to build this kit. It made my deployment fly by. 45 days left after I come back from R&R.

For those who have an interest, this thing will fly tomorrow.

:clap:

Very nice! I love the look of it.

I wish I didn't really dislike cardstock kits. Oh well, I'll probably get one anyway.

:clap:

Very nice! I love the look of it.

I wish I didn't really dislike cardstock kits. Oh well, I'll probably get one anyway.

I thought that way before building this. I will be buying 3 of them. My family will each build one.

Lessons Learned:
1) It is hard to build a rocket in a combat zone unless you are member of the PLO or other organizations. The mail room gives you trouble mailing them home.

2) Card stock builds are in ways more fun than standard rocket kits.

3) Make sure you charger for your camera is 220v compatible when overseas.

Thanks for the opportunity to build this kit. It made my deployment fly by. 45 days left after I come back from R&R.

For those who have an interest, this thing will fly tomorrow.

45 days and a wakeup.....
Man, you are on the downhill slide. Glad you a coming home soon!

Also, thanks for the build, excellent work.

Layne,

As you all your kits, thanks for the hard work. What 18mm motor should I start with?

What delay? B6-4? I think I will avoid the D21 that has been staring me down.

Back