Another ACME Spitfire build thread?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So just before I left on Wednesday, I saw that Spiff's canopy had come loose on the sides. This is .010" clear polystyrene glued with a white glue that bills itself as "canopy glue". Adheres plastic to most anything and dries clear, thus sayeth the bottle. Well, most glues are not as good in tension as shear, so it's been clamped this way since Wednesday about 11:30 AM. I'll let it go until I can work on it again.

1000004368.jpg

Those little astronauts on the right are to give visual scale to my 1:100 static Saturn V model. I have a Warhammer Insane Detail brush to help me with that...

So just before I left on Wednesday, I saw that Spiff's canopy had come loose on the sides. This is .010" clear polystyrene glued with a white glue that bills itself as "canopy glue". Adheres plastic to most anything and dries clear, thus sayeth the bottle. Well, most glues are not as good in tension as shear, so it's been clamped this way since Wednesday about 11:30 AM. I'll let it go until I can work on it again.

View attachment 640291

Those little astronauts on the right are to give visual scale to my 1:100 static Saturn V model. I have a Warhammer Insane Detail brush to help me with that...
Although I haven’t done what you did on rockets…yet I have on RC airplanes. I had to work with the same thing on a recent RC plane project. While I had the piece gluing and taped I hit it with as much heat as I dared with my heat gun to change its “memory” to the position I had it taped to. Seems to have worked so far!

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpeg
    IMG_0247.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
RC airplanes?!?! You're a busy man! Yes I wondered about using heat as well. I think the stress relief temperature of polystyrene is near the boiling temperature of water, so if I can verify that, I may try it. Even if it dissolved the glue, the shape would be better.

Back