Blaze Rocket- Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you cant find these in your area. You need to move out lol. Got paint brushes to do the tip to tip later next week. I found some glass that is plain weave and is tightly woven. These are the best to use when doing tip to tip as they dont fray like crazy. I believe this one is a 4oz. glass. It should do just fine.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1441211257.975461.jpg

My epoxy has arrived and I cant wait to get laminating. Its new from what I am used to using, but it already looks promising.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1441484185.012545.jpg

Along with the kit came a free sample of nano particles. Although not necessary its something to try out.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1441484308.598840.jpg

I'm just so impatient lol. I got laminating right away. I was curious how well this epoxy would flow and I got to say I love it. One tip to tip at a time. You'll notice on the forward leading edge of the fillet the glass isnt making contact. This is okay with me as it will be trimmed later. My concern was knocking down that seam on the body tube. Now I play the waiting game as it cures.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1441487684.292775.jpg

Can't find a data sheet on that stuff - what's it's heat resistance like?

Can't find a data sheet on that stuff - what's it's heat resistance like?

I bought this resin from e-bay. I am still waiting for the guy to send me the data sheet. He told me the Tg without the nano particles, it is around 200F if post cured for a coupler of hours at 120F.

Who knows how much more heat it can tolerate with the nano particles.

The first tip to tip went on great. Except for those spots in the leading edge of the fillets. Thats going to haunt me. I've already sanded the area. I think I will most likely paint the fin can section only. I was thinking a flourescent green would be awesome.

I'll deal with the rest tomorrow. Today I just dont feel up to it.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1441575526.476560.jpg

An update for this build. I will be placing this on hold, perhaps until next year. Events have led me to not be able to save up for the project.

Thus I will be focusing on getting the altimeter and motor to fly the Mariah 54. I do plan to continue the project as it is half ways there.

Fillets are coming along nicely. I did one set with 15 minute epoxy, but I had a race against time and just barely managed to get the fillets right.

In this picture thats JB Weld pigmented black. They look really nice. Advice to all, patience is a virtue. You get awesome fillets. One set after this one cures.

The fins and fillets will be painted black aftwards once I'm done with the tip to tip, or a different color.

View attachment 271025

Those are some nice fillets! But may I ask why you pigmented them black when you knew that you were going to do T2T?

Those are some nice fillets! But may I ask why you pigmented them black when you knew that you were going to do T2T?

The tip to tip is with fiberglass and is transparent. However, on one side of the tip to tip did not pan out well. Maybe, I'll just paint that side while I keep the cosmetic beauty of the carbon on the other sides.

The tip to tip is with fiberglass and is transparent. However, on one side of the tip to tip did not pan out well. Maybe, I'll just paint that side while I keep the cosmetic beauty of the carbon on the other sides.

I love the look of bare carbon. I had to convince my dad not paint the fins on his Bkackhawk 29. He ended up painting the tips yellow as a compromise. But paint to hide a mistake is always a good idea too.

The first tip to tip went on great. Except for those spots in the leading edge of the fillets. Thats going to haunt me. I've already sanded the area. I think I will most likely paint the fin can section only. I was thinking a flourescent green would be awesome.

I'll deal with the rest tomorrow. Today I just dont feel up to it.

View attachment 271413

Is this the bad side?

Is this the bad side?

Yes that is the bad side. I think what I will do is fill in those gaps on the leading edge with epoxy clay and then just paint the fillets to save the carbon from being painted.

Do you have any pictures of the other sides?

I have yet to do any of the other sides. I've been wasting my resin attempting to make a few extra $$$ making carbon fiber tubes.

I'm all out of resin, but will get more later. I'll take pics when I get home.

This is the side with 15 minute epoxy fillets

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1443379859.238110.jpg

This one is the set of JB weld fillets.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1443379878.160547.jpg

Latest posts

Back