Potential risks of using an older, air exposed motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitz

Reaction score
I'm currently gearing up to build my L2 around a CTI K1200WT, currently simming around 11k and Mach 1.25. Realistically, I'm going to fly it on a J140 or something low and slow first so I can actually get certified, but afterward I'd send it on the big boy. I could buy a fresh K1200, but one of my buddies actually has one lying around that he's offered a solid discount on. Nothing looks wrong with visual exception, but what has me slightly wary is that it's been sitting around exposed to air in his basement for around 2 years. What kind of risks/concerns come up with using a motor that's been sitting like that? Looking for general advice/guidance, I'd Ideally want to keep this thing in one piece with the amount of money I'd be spending 😅.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-09 161623.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-09 161623.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 0
If you can get an igniter in it, it will probably burn ok. It could be hard to light and if there is a delay, it could be longer burning than expected.

As long as the grains look OK, not all expanded, swelled and white oxidation all over them. It's probable good to go.

Just make sure you clean the case very good and well lubricate the whole case before pushing that forward closure and the o-ring all the way through the case.

horribly dangerous...send it to me and I'll dispose it for you!

seriously, stuff a igniter in it and let it fly! I had a CTI L640, loaded and sat for years before a friend gave it to me. Then it sat in my basement for a few more before i flew it - it was a great flight! The original igniter was lost at some point, but a Wildman Big 'un did just fine!

Back