• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

BAD Seller!! Pilotguy2008 / Skeetshooter410 / Travis Fish

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
I REALLY hate to do this, but in the interests of protecting all the good people on this forum from scams.......

Let it be known that you all must be careful and avoid any dealings with a guy named Travis Fish - who most recently goes by the name "pilotguy2008" on the forum. He is - in my opinion and experience - at best a flake, a HORRIBLE communicator, and a very poor business partner. At worst, and all the evidence seems to be supporting this, he is a liar, a thief, a scammer, and a rip-off artist.

This guy has now, it seems, done a number on us at least twice - once under the name of pilotguy2008, and once under the name skeetshooter410. Even worse it seems like he may have scammed one of our best vendors as well, taking advantage of their VERY cool customer service. This guy is bad news.

And yes, I've been a first hand victim - he has my money and I've got nothing to show for it. The ironic thing of course is that I'm the guy who started the "TRF Good Sellers/Buyers" thread ( https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?34817-TRF-Good-Buyers-Sellers ) wherein I want to both celebrate all the great folks who do business honestly around here, as well as to have a place where folks can gain a good reputation and buyers could see who they could do business with in confidence. I should have followed my own thread and not done business with this "new" guy (who hadn't had any history to show on that thread).

These threads outline some of this guy's path of destruction here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...nd-other-equipment-LOC-AIM-USB-Several-others!
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...nd-other-high-power-stuff&p=333824#post333824
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?59416-Lots-and-Lots-of-kits!

I honestly felt pretty bad about the treatment this guy was getting at first. It SEEMED like folks were jumping the gun and accusing him way too early. I thought he was getting a bad rap. I even "took his side", contacting him letting him know that, and tried to help him out with what could have been useful information to him. But it now seems clear the I'M the one who was duped, and that he deserved all the accusations, distrust, and bad will directed at him.

Let's all be careful and not let this guy dupe us again. Find out who you are dealing with if it's someone new, and make sure it's not Travis Fish.

I realize that at least one person seems to have "got what he paid for". That person actually gave a positive recommendation for pilotguy on the Good Sellers thread. I've actually had a brief communication with him, and I'm glad things worked out for him. But it seems like EVERYONE else has been ripped off. And something seems fishy about this. I welcome anyone else who may have had good business dealings with this guy to come forward - please tell us the details and prove me wrong. Especially if you are "regular" around here - sorry to be suspicious but if you've only got a couple of posts on the forum and those only consist of a "great deal" you got from him, then I smell a rat. If there is sufficient evidence to show that this guy is actually legit and honest, then I'll gladly delete this post, ask the mods to delete the thread, and offer up a very public apology. Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen.

And "pilotguy" - I'm calling you out. I KNOW for a fact that you are monitoring this forum, and I know for a fact that you are refusing to answer any of the questions you are being asked here. Sure, you might post a quick "don't worry, your stuff is on the way" message, but these always seem to be nothing other than more bulls#*t from you. Come forward, prove me wrong, PROVE that you have not stolen people's money, and PROVE that you are not a scam. You give everyone a sob story and promise good things, but in the end all the good folks around here are left holding the bag. So, I'm going to even "go too far" and be direct and personal:
You are a liar, a thief, and a scam (scum). Prove to me that I'm wrong.

VERY IMPORTANT!! - Please do NOT confuse this guy with "tfish", who happens to be a great TRF member and who has NOTHING AT ALL to do with any of this. He just happens to have a similar TRF "handle". Again tfish is NOT "Travis Fish", and he IS a good guy.

Again, I'm really sorry to immerse myself in all this nasty, negative stuff here. But this guy is bad news, and we have to call him out.

And lastly, THANKS TO ALL THE TRF FOLK who are honest & decent, who do good business on this forum, who deal fair & square, and who make this forum such a great one. It's too bad when someone like this comes around and poisons the well. Please everyone, let's refer to this thread whenever you enter into a new business relationship via the forum - https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?34817-TRF-Good-Buyers-Sellers. There are LOTS of really good folks to buy/trade/sell with around here. But Travis Fish is in no way one of them.

peace and rockets (to everyone except "pilotguy"), s6

I only come to the Yard Sale here to give things away. I only do Business with known Businesses. Thus, I don't get hurt like you did.
Get your head out of your "Paypal Account" and pay actual Businesses instead.
It's the same Story on every Forum I go to. They open up a Swap Meet Section and People get Burned. Deal with it. You went on a Swap Meet on an Internet Forum and got Burned by someone with no Business Credentials.
Next Time, try the Sticky in "The Watering Hole" that has Links to nothing but mostly reputable Sellers.

That said, I have a Bridge for sale if your looking...?

Yard sale is a great place to get used gear and OOP kits. No need to condem the place.

I only come to the Yard Sale here to give things away. I only do Business with known Businesses. Thus, I don't get hurt like you did.
Get your head out of your "Paypal Account" and pay actual Businesses instead.
It's the same Story on every Forum I go to. They open up a Swap Meet Section and People get Burned. Deal with it. You went on a Swap Meet on an Internet Forum and got Burned by someone with no Business Credentials.
Next Time, try the Sticky in "The Watering Hole" that has Links to nothing but mostly reputable Sellers.

That said, I have a Bridge for sale if your looking...?

I've had LOTS of great transactions via the YardSale on this forum over the years. In fact ALL of them except this one. From many members, both as a seller and a buyer. It's a great resource, and I'm happy to recommend a large number of people there. I'll likely do a lot more business there in the future.
Yes, you have to be smart about it, and yes, you need to use some sense. If something seems a bit fishy - check it out. If you have bad feeling (like I did the first time Travis Fish showed up there as "skeetshooter410"), follow your gut and let the deal go.
Unfortunately this time I let my guard down. It won't happen again. But I WILL continue to do business with lots of honest TRF members via the YardSale.

And it's not like tons of people haven't got burned by "reputable sellers" at "known businesses" before either. In fact, it's been well documented just recently right here on the forum. More than once.

s6

Last edited:
Yard sale is a great place to get used gear and OOP kits. No need to condem the place.

I did'nt mean to come off as Harsh, but it's a Fact of Internet Life. That's why I only use this place to give away things. I've been burned too.
Fool me once......

And that said... I've actually met People on here that will send you the Goods before they even get your Check, so I am not in anyway condemning it, just warning Folks to be careful.

And that said... I've actually met People on here that will send you the Goods before they even get your Check, so I am not in anyway condemning it, just warning Folks to be careful.

I think this holds true whether it be an individual OR a business. One is not inherently more trust worthy than the other.

Please bare in mind that, he might try to register a new user name.
I hope one of the mods can ban him permanently!

Could it be of best interest to allow only users with some sort of Rep system?
Other message boards on the net have these things already.....
It's just a matter of implementing them.

JD

Please bare in mind that, he might try to register a new user name.
I hope one of the mods can ban him permanently!

Could it be of best interest to allow only users with some sort of Rep system?
Other message boards on the net have these things already.....
It's just a matter of implementing them.

JD

If nothing else, buyers should not purchase items from a user that has not posted pictures of the items for sale. No pics, no deal.

Just my .02

Justin

Gee I wish folks would learn how to spell...

It's "CONDEMN"... as in "don't condemn the place"...

"Condem" is awfully close to "condom" which sounds like the OP could have used when he got screwed...

Later! OL JR :)

"Condem" is awfully close to "condom" which sounds like the OP could have used when he got screwed...

C'mon, man. :eyeroll: Don't you have anything better to do than grade TRF posts?

That's too bad..... I, too, was defending the guy when another TRF'er was being pretty harsh. I don't think it's a bad thing to buy from another TRF'er. But, unfortunately, the actions of the few wreak havoc for the many, maybe it's time for some type of regulation before anyone attempts to sell something here.

Work has kept me away from rocketry/TRF most of the year but I pop in from time to time checking the yard sales and would like to say....
I just saved a ton of money by switching to an S6 thread!!
THX!!

If all this is true and based on the items he already sold between the three links the OP listed he has made a pretty penny of a lot of good people here on the forum.

Is there anything we can do? He did leave a address to mail your payment or was this done through PayPal?

Last edited:
C'mon, man. :eyeroll: Don't you have anything better to do than grade TRF posts?

Seriously?? Don't you have anything better to do than knock me for pointing out a stupid error??

Geez... LOL:)

You know... that whole "pot, kettle, black" thing??

J/K...

It's a pet peeve of mine... Later! OL JR :)

Ouch, that's pretty cold (and pretty funny too, actually).

I actually only lost a small amount of cash on this; my transaction was nothing big. But what gets me is how he's poisoned the well. I've had so many great transactions & deals with so many members here - it's such a great community. But having this guy in our midst just sours things. Now, we're all more suspicious - which I guess can be a good thing, but still. I feel bad for all the folks who got ripped off in larger amounts. And yeah, there's a part of me that just feels like we've been taken for fools - twice!

The ironic (and maddening) thing is that "pilotguy" actually has a positive recommendation now on the "Good Sellers" thread. Sheesh. Please everyone, IGNORE THAT POST. I understand where the guy who posted it is coming from (I've had a brief communication with him about it). His transaction turned out okay, and from his point of view he was treated well. And by all means it is his right to leave a good post based on that criteria. But the sad thing to me is that it completely diminishes the whole thread. The whole reason for that thread's existence is to have a place where GOOD sellers can be recognized, and where folks can "check up on" sellers to see if they are legit before doing business with them. EVERYONE else mentioned on that thread are well worth doing business with, and they have earned/deserved a good record. But now, someone new might check in there, see that pilotguy is "okay", and set themselves up for being ripped off. Which opens a hole for this jerk to run his scams again. I REALLY wish the poster who gave him a thumbs up would reconsider. (but it IS his decision).

s6

Ouch, that's pretty cold (and pretty funny too, actually).

I actually only lost a small amount of cash on this; my transaction was nothing big. But what gets me is how he's poisoned the well. I've had so many great transactions & deals with so many members here - it's such a great community. But having this guy in our midst just sours things. Now, we're all more suspicious - which I guess can be a good thing, but still. I feel bad for all the folks who got ripped off in larger amounts. And yeah, there's a part of me that just feels like we've been taken for fools - twice!

The ironic (and maddening) thing is that "pilotguy" actually has a positive recommendation now on the "Good Sellers" thread. Sheesh. Please everyone, IGNORE THAT POST. I understand where the guy who posted it is coming from (I've had a brief communication with him about it). His transaction turned out okay, and from his point of view he was treated well. And by all means it is his right to leave a good post based on that criteria. But the sad thing to me is that it completely diminishes the whole thread. The whole reason for that thread's existence is to have a place where GOOD sellers can be recognized, and where folks can "check up on" sellers to see if they are legit before doing business with them. EVERYONE else mentioned on that thread are well worth doing business with, and they have earned/deserved a good record. But now, someone new might check in there, see that pilotguy is "okay", and set themselves up for being ripped off. Which opens a hole for this jerk to run his scams again. I REALLY wish the poster who gave him a thumbs up would reconsider. (but it IS his decision).

s6

Well he could reconsider or maybe one of the mods can edit the thread and mention his other dealings to prevent others from getting burned. Just my :2:

Lol...sounds like one of the pages of the hymnals we use at our church, "Condemn" is also spelled "Condem". When that song is selected, you can look around and see all the teenyboppers laughing.

I think this same guy got some folks over on a rc forum. It is truly bad when some jerks come along and rip people off. I have never been took on any forums I have bought on and when you see this makes you want to not trust the good people that are honest. We have gators and sharks for people like this.

Now im being bashed for my posts??? Suck my [removed by mod].. Dont take it out on me! I explained my situation and stand behind it. I held my tounge the first time i was mentioned. I got what i paid for... Ha ha, the rest of you suck!! Is that what kind of posting you all want?

...could you possibly be more impolite? I'm guessing you're on your way out the door with a post like that. It will be deleted most likely but will live on in my responce. You got lucky when you got your items and posted in the good sellers list. Sounds like he's used you as a "stalking horse" AKA bait, to induce others. That's why it's suggested your post be changed or deleted, so others don't get burned.

I suppose that IF pilotguy puts up a list of tracking numbers there'd be a few red faces...but I highly doubt that will happen.

I have only done 3 transactions here two were all you could ask from a seller, one even went out of his way to say he'd stash motors for me so others couldn't obtain them. I declined that offer, no special treatment, please :) The second was just a normal internet transaction for a 75mm CTI motor. The third had me worried but I eventually got my motor.

When I buy from ebay I look at the sellers numbers, I'm going to be doing the same here. Any one selling something had better be an old member of this forum with a high count. I konw there's many who are members that don't post then I'll check how long they've been a part of this. If your a noob selling I'll check back with you...in a year or so....just saying....

Last edited:
Now im being bashed for my posts??? Suck my [removed by mod].. Dont take it out on me! I explained my situation and stand behind it. I held my tounge the first time i was mentioned. I got what i paid for... Ha ha, the rest of you suck!! Is that what kind of posting you all want?

Please re-read my posts regarding your input. In NO way were you being bashed. I said, repeatedly, that you had every right to post your own (what happened to be) positive experience. I do believe that you have the right to stand behind your explanation, and I told you so, both publicly and privately. I'm glad that you got what you paid for, and I don't dispute your story, but you have to admit that it's an anomaly when it comes to this guy.

But honestly, even though your situation turned out okay, do you REALLY believe that Travis has not ripped off many people around here - on multiple occasions? Do you REALLY think that your post - which essentially gives pilotguy a positive recommendation and encourages others to do business with him - is serving the good of potential buyers on this forum? Do you think that EVERYONE else is just making this stuff up? Really?

I've asked you privately to reconsider giving pilotguy a thumbs up (I never asked you to say anything bad or change your story). You answered that you wanted to stick with your post. Fair enough, that is your right. I then publicly lamented the fact that the unfortunate outcome of this is that it's very likely that more people will be ripped off in the future. NOT YOUR FAULT - and I'm NOT insinuating that it is, but with all the evidence, it's really a shame that you don't reconsider.

And no one ever said anything about you along the lines of "suck my taint pricks", or "the rest of you suck!!". Really, that is completely uncalled for.

Happy flying, s6

I agree uncalled for. I took as i was being lumped in with his reputation and being bashed. I apologise to those involved. I will stand behind my good sellers thread, but only that i got what i paid for... I explained that it wasnt a smooth transaction, i understand that many... All... Others have not had a good outcome, i sugest that the good sellers thread be accompanied by a bad sellers list.

And no one ever said anything about you along the lines of "suck my [removed]", or "the rest of you suck!!". Really, that is completely uncalled for.

I am glad he said it though, I have to admit I never expected to read that on TRF :) I'll have to keep that in my back pocket.

In re to pilotguy posts, im done. My comments really wernt directed at the many just the couple i thought were bashing me. If you want to pm me for his info thats fine, i dont have much other than town and zip.

To everyone who is concerned, I finally got the issue resolved with my bank and paypal. I have initiated refunds for everyone involved. If you did not receive anything from paypal please PM me and I will resolve it TODAY.

To everyone who is concerned, I finally got the issue resolved with my bank and paypal. I have initiated refunds for everyone involved. If you did not receive anything from paypal please PM me and I will resolve it TODAY.

I show a refund pending as of today.

I tend to be an optimist, so....

-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back