Scams are common: Take care with online purchases

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
This summer and fall, we have had a small number of complaints about being scammed. Some have been contact about buying an item of interest like a motor casing or altimeter and others have been contacted because of their WANTED posts on the yard sale. Unfortunately, in most cases, it is impossible for TRF moderators or admins to track down their nefarious individuals.

I would recommend (partially borrowed from another moderator):
  1. Make sure it is we well known member of the forum. Post count is not always reliable. Buying from XXX, who has only been a member for six weeks, is asking to be ripped off.
  2. If the deal sounds too good, think twice.
  3. You should NEVER use Venmo, or Zelle with someone you DO NOT KNOW since they offer no money back guarantees. I have only used the two with close friends & family. If that person refuses to use PayPal, then you should not do business with them.
  4. Paypal F&F are not entirely safe - see number 3. This has been overly discussed in other threads. It is safer than 3, but with there change in Paypal rules, I would not trust it.
  5. Emails and IPs can be spoofed. Don't trust them.
  6. The PM with an email is the known method of scammers going around the sites.
  7. TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS.
  8. If you have concerns, report the post or PM using the report link at the bottom of every post. We will look into the post and the forum member. We cannot guarantee it, but it will put it on our RADAR for investigation and you might protect someone else. I for one will at least try to see if the guy you buying from if from the location is he or she is reporting.
Enjoy the forum and be safe.

Last edited:
This summer and fall, we have had a small number of complaints about being scammed. Some have been contact about buying an item of interest like a motor casing or altimeter and others have been contacted because of their WANTED posts on the yard sale. Unfortunately, in most cases, it is impossible for TRF moderators or admins to track down their nefarious individuals.

I would recommend (partially borrowed from another moderator):
  1. Make sure it is we well known member of the forum. Post count is not always reliable. Buying from XXX, who has only been a member for six weeks, is asking to be ripped off.
  2. If the deal sounds too good, think twice.
  3. You should NEVER use Venmo, or Zelle with someone you DO NOT KNOW since they offer no money back guarantees. I have only used the two with close friends & family. If that person refuses to use PayPal, then you should not do business with them.
  4. Paypal F&F are not entirely safe - see number 3. This has been overly discussed in other threads. It is safer than 3, but with there change in Paypal rules, I would not trust it.
  5. Emails and IPs can be spoofed. Don't trust them.
  6. The PM with an email is the known method of scammers going around the sites.
  7. TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS.
  8. If you have concerns, report the post or PM using the report link at the bottom of every post. We will look into the post and the forum member. We cannot guarantee it, but it will put it on our RADAR for investigation and you might protect someone else. I for one will at least try to see if the guy you buying from if from the location is he or she is reporting.
Enjoy the forum and be safe.
Good posts. I am a Cyber Security Analyst by profession- and always on look out with scams. Sucks when mailing a check is risky and doing biz online is getting more common with “scammers” being more sophisticated

If i can help with any topic on this subj- let me know. Cyber Crime isn’t going away.

Alan

THIS USER IS BRAND NEW. THERE IS A HIGH RISK THIS IS A SCAM. PLEASE TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTION TO ENSURE THIS IS NOT A SCAM

Whats up with this on the bottom of there responce?

THIS USER IS BRAND NEW. THERE IS A HIGH RISK THIS IS A SCAM. PLEASE TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTION TO ENSURE THIS IS NOT A SCAM

Whats up with this on the bottom of there responce?

This is at the bottom of certain members until they attain a certain number of posts and days on the forum. We started this to warn folks to beware. Nearly every "scammer" in the last year has begun posting fraudulent sales and or contact people with sales by PM in their first 60 days on the forum and first 20 posts.

This is at the bottom of certain members until they attain a certain number of posts and days on the forum. We started this to warn folks to beware. Nearly every "scammer" in the last year has begun posting fraudulent sales and or contact people with sales by PM in their first 60 days on the forum and first 20 posts.
I might want to post some rockets for sale. Do my numbers look like a scam? Because im not sure

For everyone,

I am going to strongly recommend you not pay with Zelle. If you do not have the warm and fuzzy, report the thread or the user. It is better than someone getting ripped off. We have no means to fully investigate a sale or user, but it will put the issue on our radar.

Update: we have had an increase in the past several months of folks being banned in their first week for sending unsolicited offers. Be aware that users are reviewing the yardsale for your "wants" and sending Private Messages to ask if you are interested in the same item you listed. Have a high index of suspicion for those who offer you the item you are looking for and do it by PM. Your suspicion should double if they are new to the forum. If you feel they might be a fraud, report the "PM" so we can protect others.

Scammers targeting hobbyists is sadly, very common. We are a niche group and often trade with each other. The one that always burns the most people for the most money are people (often established) selling things that are very difficult to come by or that have a naturally long lead time until delivery. Two very big loss examples from my other hobby, old arcade games:

#1 - Reproduction parts for Star Wars machines. These parts are unique, prone to wear, and no old stock exists. Lots of people desperate for parts. The scammer (an established member) had some very nice reproductions made and then sold $60-100k worth (with a 6-8 week lead time) before vanishing. He maximized the scam by delivering to the first buyers (and first complainers) so the would vouch for him.

#2 - Clearing out a warehouse. Sold approximately 40 games at $1000-$6000each, cash in advance. Because of scheduling and shipping, typical lead time is 4-6 weeks. When complaints of non-delivery began rolling in, there was a mysterious warehouse fire. Some games were allegedly damaged, and insurance would have to inventory and write checks. To keep it going, the loudest complainers got refunded and their "damaged" games were then resold to another mark at a discount

Every time this happens they rely on the same things: Good value, high demand, long lead times, cash up front, and justification of why the "probably a scam" isn't a scam.

my sister keeps getting scammed by those amazon order click here texts and she's had her account destroyed 3 times.
No matter what we tell her if she sees a text from amazon or temu saying something is wrong with her order she clicks there and logs in then gets the hammer. I dont know why she wont listen, if there is a problem with anything, go to directly to the site, dont click any links in email or text messages.
and dont answer unknown numbers lol

Back