Area Rule: My Next Big'un

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarVac

Reaction score
I've finally decided on a really cool-looking sport rocket to build sometime in the next year or so.

attachment.php

5.5" tubing, necking down to the 54mm central motor mount, and then opening back up with 6 straight-through 29mm motor mounts. (aka the motors would stick out the front if I used a longer case, and the air would go through if I don't install motors)

It's not really built exactly to the Whitcomb Area Rule, but it makes up for it when judged by the Rule of Cool.

What do you think?

EDIT: Attached a newer version.

Area_Rule_v1.jpg

View attachment Area_Rule.ork

View attachment Area_Rule.ork

Last edited:
I think you should consider putting an angle on the fore ends of the outboard motor tubes (kinda like the Kraken tube fins). I think the overall look would be much more streamlined/sleek.

I think you should consider putting an angle on the fore ends of the outboard motor tubes (kinda like the Kraken tube fins). I think the overall look would be much more streamlined/sleek.

I thought about that, as well as making them flush, but I actually prefer the aggressive look; I may even angle them forward to give them some 'bite'.

That is a seriously cool looking rocket!
Do a build thread!:)

Fun fact: the sim shows around 2k feet on 6 G138's. If I can somehow borrow 5 more 29/40-120 cases...

An all-IMAX cluster (do want!) of 29/6G I204's and a 54/6GXL L935 would send it to ~7500 feet. The sim shows the 29mm motors sticking out a bit too far; I'll probably adjust the design to fit 29/6GXL cases. Just so I can spend more money. Unfortunately, that is 5235 Ns of impulse, though, so I can't do that until I spend MORE money, make ANOTHER rocket, and L3 cert.

I like how this gets various advantages from its crazy design: I can lock the fins into the centering rings and get a lever arm similar to TTW fins from anchoring into the transitions, but I also get direct access to the fin-MMT joint for maximum holding power.

Sadly, it'll be some time before I can even start ordering parts. First I have to figure out where I'll be situated for the next few years, so that I can avoid having to ship my rockets all across the country.

Last edited:
Sweet design man. Sometimes you have to just chip away... I'll be whatching this one!

Insanely cool looking design,,,,,,,,,,
That is absolutely "different"..............
Get it cookin...........

Teddy

Oh,,,,,,,
You could use fins from a Wildman Intimidator..........
That'll save you some work............

Insanely cool looking design,,,,,,,,,,
That is absolutely "different"..............
Get it cookin...........

Teddy

Oh,,,,,,,
You could use fins from a Wildman Intimidator..........
That'll save you some work............

Fins are going to be the least of my difficulties. Also, I don't think any Wildman kit has a 5.5" OD and a 2.5" MMT so that puts that out of the question... Anyway, I'm thinking carbon-fibered 1/4" plywood.

Also, scratch means I get to choose every dimension down to the limits of the tolerances. Unless you meant cutting my fins out from inside of Intimidator fins? Might as well just buy my own FR4 from McMaster if that were the case.

:jaw: totally subscribed; I may even ask to use the design, that is once you test it for everyone else ;)

A little Soyuz influence

I didn't think about Soyuz at all when designing it, actually. I was more thinking about designs with transitions, like the Sub-Lime, but I wanted the big bottom end to be balanced by an equally sized top end.

Anyway, feel free to use my design. It's
CC-BY-NC-SA.png
: be sure to attribute it to me, don't commercialize it, and redistribute it only under the same terms.

EDIT: I wouldn't even mind if someone else brought it to life before I did.

Last edited:
It seems that I am going to stay on the east coast for the time being, so I will slowly start building this as funds allow.

I had been using club electronics while at Mudd, so I will need a new Raven and possibly a tracker, in addition to getting the epoxy and materials for this.

I also need to decide on a deployment strategy. I am not going to use conventional dual deploy, but I have had bad experiences with cable cutters and an ARRD is not in the budget for the immediate future...

Additionally, pending the release of a 54mm Loki M, this would be my L3 bird, so it would make sense to take it slow and build it as reliably as possible. I also should find a TAP and a place that has a ~15k waiver for that possibility...

Additionally, pending the release of a 54mm Loki M, this would be my L3 bird, so it would make sense to take it slow and build it as reliably as possible. I also should find a TAP and a place that has a ~15k waiver for that possibility...

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. 54mm M's in a commercial motor are unlikely.

I'm not holding my breath, but in case it does happen I do want to L3 with it: there are some M-impulse configurations that I would not be able to fly (L935+6 I243's, for example). That said, should I come upon the funds to fly that configuration, I certainly would be able to afford a second rocket.

I've started on a bill of materials...currently, excluding altimeters and shock cord, but including composites supplies (which won't be completely consumed), it totals to $720. It's time to start saving up...

EDIT: oh and it doesn't include whatever costs for CNCing the bulkheads and fins.

Last edited:
Before I go off-topic here, let me say, this design is interesting, with a good aesthetic as well. I also like the idea of reverse-angle cuts to the 29mm through-tubes to give it "bite" as was previously mentioned. I think that'd be mean-looking... and that's a GOOD thing.

But... 54mm M? Is this a real thing or a wish-list item?

Later!

--Coop

No real news, but I was having some fun with the latest release of OpenRocket. (or actually the dev build, but it's identical)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Area_Rule_Blues.jpg

Area_Rule_Greens.jpg

Latest posts

Back