Arapahoe-J - Successful L2 Cert!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last step...what else, fillets. looooooooooooonnnnnggg ones.

Again, standard technique here, employing microballoon thickened Aeropoxy and a scoopula. Plenty of ethanol on hand for cleaning the scoopula, none for the builder this time.

tube_fillet1.jpg tube_fillet2.jpg tube_fillet3.jpg

can_fillet1.jpg can_fillet2.jpg can_fillet3.jpg

Thus ends the construction of the Arapahoe-J. Now for the long finishing process. This will of course be lengthened by needing to work within windows of tolerable weather, but at least we have those in TX. Also, I mentioned nothing sticks to Magnaframe well, that includes Bondo. Even though I used pretty weak masking tape for the fillets it pulled out some of the spiral Bondo, so I'm back to fighting with spirals. I'm waiting for the spiral cartoon mocking me.

The Arapahoe-J pictured with one of my launch and recovery crew, Casey. He will probably get the honors on pushing the button for it's first flight.

built.jpg

Last edited:
Would like to see pic of large one on car roof.

john

So you shall
. I don't know if this is the one o1d_dude was referring to or not, but it is his picture, so maybe. This is the biggest one I can find a picture of, though I would be shocked if there isn't bigger out there somewhere. Looks like a 4", or maybe a 3"...hard to tell.

Last edited:
Primer! Not too exciting, but we had some compatible weather last week (~65 degrees and mildly windy) so I got a heavy coat of primer applied. This one will be heavily sanded, basically down to the bare tube, but first it will need some Bondo. Lots of Bondo actually. This is largely a result of the tape pulling out so much spiral filling when I did the fillets, but there are some fillet pinholes and a few patches of fiberglass weave showing in the fins too. I will wait at least a week before sanding down as I like the primer fully dried. This wait makes the sanding process way easier as it will not clog the 220 paper I will be using. I've found if I sand a heavy coat sooner than this I just get frustrated with clogging sandpaper and the process takes twice as long...YMMV. Although there will need to be more filling than I would like, I am overall happy with how the fin blending and fillets came out. Little work will be needed on those.

The pictures make this look better than it is.

primer1.jpg primer2.jpg

My Rocket has come down with a terrible case of Bondo-pox.

bondo1.jpg bondo2.jpg

It really is amazing how many flaws that first coat of primer reveals.

That's how mine look too ! If I ever build one where that first primer coat doesn't need any fixing I might faint. But I gotta say it.... sexy fin can ! :eek: Hope this one stays around till you can get a picture of Casey looking down on it. :)

Not pictured, there has been a sand, primer, bondo, sand cycle before the paint. Only really needed two cycles which is pretty good methinks.

59 degrees means painting time. Got to take advantage when a painting window opens up, so stopped at Walmart and picked up a couple cans of Rustoleum 2X White Gloss and had at the Arapahoe.

white1.jpg white2.jpg white3.jpg white4.jpg

The NC will need another coat as it has a spot where the underlying grey primer shows through a touch. However, I think the rest of it is getting the good enough stamp of approval. The only really below spec parts are in the fins, and those sections get a color coat, so I think the white is done for the body.

Last edited:
Great you had a window. Those sexy fins gets this rocket my approval. And I'm a big fan of strakes. You're doing an excellent job dood. I hope you get the big thrill I did when I launched my F model.

Great you had a window. Those sexy fins gets this rocket my approval. And I'm a big fan of strakes. You're doing an excellent job dood. I hope you get the big thrill I did when I launched my F model.

Thanks very much. Those fins and strakes are sweet, this design just has panache. It has also gotten me looking at the Thrustline kits in general. I am thinking quite deeply about a 2.1" Duster with a 38mm MM.

I paid $3.67 a can at Walmart. You can rest assured, I'm never paying $8.60 a can for anything except Duplicolor Metalcast. The rocket budget is a very exact thing with no wiggle tolerated, so any overpay for paint is lost Newtons.

Last edited:
Quite deeply...

Purple and black with Carbon fiber fins (I know, but they would look cool)?

Is it possible to hijack one's own thread?

I suppose that's possible. And to make matters worse, I'm going to ask you if you know what the original tube lengths were. I know they were BT 55's, and based on your drawing, my downscale says about 35". Would that be close?

Last edited:
I suppose that's possible. And to make matters worse, I'm going to ask you if you know what the original tube lengths were. I know they were BT 55's, and based on your drawing, my downscale says about 35". Would that be close?

I believe 34" is the original bt length based on reviews. I based mine off the available rocksim file at rocket reviews.

Last edited:
Wow! Now my favorite Thrustline rocket--I'm getting extremely envious! I have to get working on my Arapahoe before you get the both of them done ��

That's an interesting change. i'm use to looking at your threads and getting rocket envy. Isn't the Cherokee your working on an -N?

I believe 34" is the original bt length based on reviews. I based mine off the available rocksim file at rocket reviews.

Thanks. I now have 3 versions to choose from. The original, a bt 60 model and a bt 70 model. Prolly go with a 60 model on this one. I really abuse the BT 70. I have so many up-scaled models on bt 70. Now, shall we return to our original programming? This is an Arapahoe thread.

Chris - nice job with the white coat. That's the hardest color for me to get a nice smooth gloss. A personal problem, I guess. :eek:

Thanks, Sam. Gloss black is my white whale, never right.

Thanks. I now have 3 versions to choose from. The original, a bt 60 model and a bt 70 model. Prolly go with a 60 model on this one. I really abuse the BT 70. I have so many up-scaled models on bt 70. Now, shall we return to our original programming? This is an Arapahoe thread.

Hi, I'm Chris, and I have ADD, or whatever the adult variant is. Besides, the temp is now in the 20s, so gotta do something rockety...I'm going with dream today. Also, metal work, but that's another thread entirely.

Yeah, but is "just a Cherokee." :cry:

No bad mouthing the Cherokee. It is going to take a lot to unseat my Cherokee-I as my most favoritist rocket.

Lucky you! What kind of purple are you shooting? Brand/shade......

Rustoleum 2X Purple Gloss

I'm sticking with the same line to ensure compatibility. I will do the NC first to be sure a I like the color before doing the rest.

Rustoleum 2X Purple Gloss

I'm sticking with the same line to ensure compatibility. I will do the NC first to be sure a I like the color before doing the rest.

I'll be interested in seeing how that looks. I don't think our stores carry the purple grape. I've got most of the 2X colors, but not that one.

Back