AMW casing question...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
I just received my AMW "M" casing in the mail today from Magnum. It is so beautiful, I almost cried. I can't wait till April. Anyway, I was going over the parts and even went to AMWs website to learn how to put it all together. In the AMW graphic, it shows an external thrust ring. On the casing, there is a slot for the ETR. However, nowhere in the instructions does it mention the ETR, and it did not seem to come in the packet. So, here is the question for those familiar with AMW casings:

Where do I get an External Thrust Ring?

ETR?
Like a mechanical thingy to keep the motor from shooting into the rocket's airframe instead of something to keep it from falling out?

Alright, I know I'm gonna pay dearly for asking that question. Please lower your flame throwers.
Maybe I'd better visit the AMW Web site and have a look.

Where do I get an External Thrust Ring?

Why, Magnum Rockets of course!!! ;)

I got one with mine.....of course, I knew it was an option and ordered one with my casing. :D

Sounds like a call to Ross is in order...hehehe

Carl

yeah, the spiral snapring and the eyebolt for the forward closure are options... You'll have to call Ross and place another order, or dial up mcmaster carr, they have some up to a certain size.

Alan

Yep. The external thrust ring is an option. To use it, you pull it apart, slip it over the end of the case, slide it into the grove, and allow it to spring back to its original diameter.

In case you guys are curious, notice how the instructions state the drawing is not correct. The reason for this is the M motors use a full diameter smoke grain that goes into the liner tube, not the forward bulkhead.

Have fun with your M motors :)

It's just a snap ring, right? Probably can get in may places including McMaster Carr, but if you get it from Magnum you are 100% sure its the right size, without worring about searching for that size.

Will standard Slimline motor retention work with this casing?

The slimline closures have to be compatible with AMW loads. Kosdon cases may not work because their thrust ring is closer to the edge than AMW's. I think to many motors failed using Kosdon's dimentions.

Here is a quote from AMW's website:

Will Animal Motor Works hardware work with SlimLine Motor Retainers?
According to our customers - No, AMW motor hardware will NOT fit the current SlimLine retainer products.
Also, Please read this caution:

We have had several mechanically inclined zoo lovers, look at the SlimLine fit problem. Several have proclaimed, "The casing looks like a new external snap ring groove location, and a smaller diameter thrust ring will fix it! What is so hard?" Well, since you asked;

1) Changing the external thrust ring location: Moving the external thrust ring forward to fit Slimline, will put the external groove very near and in some casings directly on top of the internal snap ring groove. Since both snap ring grooves are cut to ~1/2 the casing wall thickness, the new external ring location will severely reduce or eliminate the casing's ability to hold pressure. There are minimum requirements for "edge margins" of solid metal between snap rings (and other machined features), minimum groove depths/tolerances, and the required safety margins that prevent a simple casing modification to correct the Slimline retainer fit problem. Modifying your AMW hardware in an attempt to fix it, not only violates the warranty, but almost guarantees casing failure under pressure. If the casing doesn't fail the 1st time, it will most likely stretch a snap ring groove, reduce the metal thickness, and then fail on a later use. We have seen one attempt where the motor become permanently stuck inside the retainer, due to the expansion of the modified, stretched snap ring groove. Of course, this will damage the retainer and rocket when it fails.

2) We have also investigated a smaller diameter, external thrust ring to fit the SlimLine and older AeroPack retainer systems. The Slimline retainers investigated, could not handle the extra casing length below the snap ring with only a thrust ring diameter change. So this did not entirely "fix" the Slim line problem. A "Standard Duty" ring with an acceptable smaller diameter is available, but it is also weaker. We tested the "Standard duty" for 2+ years prior to deciding a "Heavy Duty", stronger, external thrust ring was needed. The "Standard Duty" ring did not have the reliability zoo lovers expect. Investigation of keeping the smaller external diameter with "Heavy Duty" capability, was a custom part. This proved too costly in tooling and lot charges. AMW settled on a standard diameter, "Heavy Duty" ring as a compromise.

Crap. Okay...who's got a good idea other than Kaplow clips for retention for the AMW casings?

I was looking at the aeropack website and those tailcone retainers look really cool. Now, as my rocket is mostly built and the MMT is already in the rocket (aft CR is not attached yet though), would that tailcone motor retainer be an option, or does it need to be installed earlier?

Back