Al's Hobby shop closed it's doors.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRIFFIN

Reaction score
I know that I'm not alone with this comment, "AL's was the first place I bought a rocket when I was a kid".

Sad to see them shut down. I guess it's just another sign of the "web" times.

Support your local shops, they won't be around if you don't.

Last edited:
Anyone have details on why this happened, was it more than just the web?

wick

There are (or were) a number of LHS's named Al's. Two in S. Oregon that I know of (knew of?) with separate owners.

Which Al's are you talking about, and where?

I know that I'm not alone with this comment, "ALS was the first place I bought a rocket when I was a kid".

Sad to see them shut down. I guess it's just another sign of the "web" times.

support your local shops, they won't be around if you don't.

They have been out of rockets for a while now.

They have been out of rockets for a while now.

They have only been "out of rockets" in the high power class. They still supported the rocketry hobby and had a full stock of low power kits and supplies.

I am am talking about the Al's in Elmhurst Illinois by the way.

They have only been "out of rockets" in the high power class. They still supported the rocketry hobby and had a full stock of low power kits and supplies.

I am am talking about the Al's in Elmhurst Illinois by the way.

Correct. I don't consider low power stuff as being a rocket shop-strictly because everyone has low power stuff. This does not mean it is not important so please don't take it that way.

I didn't, just making sure we all knew what shop I was talking about. I agree, it has not been a good rocket hobby shop ever since Ken left. Still, it was a great place and I have been through R/C cars, R/C airplanes and rockets. I have tons of good memories from that place.

Beep beep boop boop

I remember going there in the 1960's. Had alot of stuff back then including R/C planes that were too pricey for me to conceive of being able to afford.
The HO train engines and rolling stock that were in a display case on the wall were really something.
The Diver's Den was in that general area too and that was the guy that taught me and my brother to scuba dive. Kurt

That's sad.

I made some visits there when I was getting back into rocketry.

Greg

I bought some of my first high power motors from Tim when he was working there. It was right after the AT fire and he was the only one who still had motors long after everyone else I knew was out. He taught me all I know about motor hording...
:facepalm:

Aw man, that's a shame. Al's (and 'Mountainside Hobbies' online) were the places where I got back into rocketry. I remember the guy before Tim... J.R., right?... and maybe even the guy before that but a name escapes me.

RIP, good hobby store, you served us well.

There are very few hobby shops left in the Chicagoland area. I always thought that Al's would have gotten it's share of business simply because of the lack of competition. Though the traffic in Elmhurst is tough to navigate, so I always hesitated going there unless I needed a lot of things.

That is too bad. Al's was a quality hobby shop in general, and was a great high power dealer in the day. I used to stop on there whenever I was in the area visiting relative I Elmhurst and Bensenville.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Back