Airfest XXII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course Bob happy to help - Signed up for a couple of RSO shifts - that way I get to see the rockets up close. The van is already loaded and will hit Wichita sometime Thursday PM. Cannot wait for this launch - often times better than LDRS. The Kloudbusters put on a great event, but we all needs to grab a shift or two and help out!!!!

Best Andy

If you're going to AIRfest, stop by one of the 3 Loki Research dealer booths, Loki Research (myself), One Bad Hawk and Chris's Rocketry Supplies. We're going to have some nice hardware/reload specials at the launch. Don't ask what they are just yet though because it's not been finalized yet, probably won't be until we get there.

If you find me sleeping in a chair, please leave me be and see Chris or Teddy. I have to catch up on some much needed rest.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. :)

I am so excited for this launch. ...
This is just way too cool,,
hanging on the field with everybody. ..
And some sick flights to top it off....

Teddy

All packed and ready for the 225 mile journey to the rocket pasture. This will be the first time I have attended an Airfest when there was NOT 100 degree temps in the forcast! Yippeeee!

I am going to be delayed until perhaps late Friday afternoon. I was running behind on things to begin with, and now I'm pretty sure I got bit by a spider the other night. It's having a noticeable effect on my productivity and speed since yesterday morning. My wife is telling me that I need to have it looked at in the morning. So, I won't be leaving until sometime tomorrow now and it's about a 6 hr drive to the field.

I thought I'd let people know.

I am going to be delayed until perhaps late Friday afternoon. I was running behind on things to begin with, and now I'm pretty sure I got bit by a spider the other night. It's having a noticeable effect on my productivity and speed since yesterday morning. My wife is telling me that I need to have it looked at in the morning. So, I won't be leaving until sometime tomorrow now and it's about a 6 hr drive to the field.

Nothing to mess with if it was a Brown Recluse. You don't want the doctor coming at you with an ice cream scooper.

There are a few spider bites you really don't want to mess with. ..
Your wife's right. ...
Get it looked at Scott. ..
Let a doctor tell you it's ok...

Teddy

All packed and ready for the 225 mile journey to the rocket pasture. This will be the first time I have attended an Airfest when there was NOT 100 degree temps in the forcast! Yippeeee!

WHAT!!!!!!
225 to the best launch site ever....
No fair,, that's cheatin... lol...

Teddy

Ouch! Take care and drive safely.

FANTASTIC first day at the Pasture! So many great flights, including a FOUR stage rocket. Can't wait to see what today brings !

HOLY CARP! You ok up there? Just had the "BIG ONE" down here. Was outside trying to get around and get up there and the trees & HOUSE! started shaking! I just checked USGS update, 5.6 Mag. NW of Pawnee OK. at 7:02 AM. That's 30-40 min from me.
Also Moapa Town NV. Had a 3.5 at 7:05 AM
I just did a little map checking. OH! ...T! The Epicenter was ~20 miles from me!

Last edited:
HOLY CARP! You ok up there? Just had the "BIG ONE" down here. Was outside trying to get around and get up there and the trees & HOUSE! started shaking! I just checked USGS update, 5.6 Mag. NW of Pawnee OK. at 7:02 AM. That's 30-40 min from me.
I just did a little map checking. OH! ...T! The Epicenter was ~20 miles from me!

We felt it here in Dallas; well at least our neighbors did...

Having breakfast in Harper and the restaurant was shaking. A complete AIRFEST week end.

FANTASTIC first day at the Pasture! So many great flights, including a FOUR stage rocket. Can't wait to see what today brings !

The four stage was I creadible, it flew truer than some of single stage flights.

You are also being modest...you are one of TRFs newest L3, correct? A perfect fight too.

The earthquake I could have done without, but at least I got out of bed. Hope all nearer to the epicenter are ok.

After spending all of Saturday building an avionics bay in the field I finally got the Falcon off the ground this morning....nobody told me these nose cones were single use!

uIGe3IMl.jpg

v3SSExel.jpg

It's a wildman falcon with the CTI glass infused plastic nose cone, same as the black punisher. M2245- IMAX pushed it to Mach 3.1 and 32k according to the initial reports from the Raven and TRS. That is about 10k lower than simmed so I need to download data and check out what was off.

You have to love a flight that exposes the weakness of the composite material--big congrats!

20160901_124646.jpg20160902_070726.jpg20160902_100907.jpg20160903_093907.jpg
#1CJ showing his 2 stage project to Andrew Grippo
#2 The obligatory sunrise shot (for those who cant quite make it out of bed that early)
#3 Tulsa Rocketry's club project
#4 The 2' deep crater it left

I came home a day early yesterday, flat wore out! I didn't even unpack yet. Anyway it was a great weekend as usual thanks to the Kloubusters club. All the cool rockets and Tim's Italian beef all the way from Illinois, mmmmmm. I'm sure there will be lots more pics and stories in the coming days as people start making their ways home. This Mars Lander was a so cool. I wont post my video as I know someone else has a much better one. Mine was out of focus. Sorry for the sideways pics.
20160904_125434.jpg

Yes large hole. Why no blast plate used? Land owners around here don't like all the holes we leave. So we fill them in or use blast plates to lessen problem.

Back