EVENT AIRFest 26 (2020)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, that is certainly a strong opinion. I use both.

This was a onebadhawk 3/4 tubular nylon harness which has at least 2300 lbs of breaking strength which should have provided at least four sigmas of safety margin given the weight of the rocket and the size of the bp charge. There are very, very good reasons to use nylon, the biggest being it has significantly more give than Kevlar. This particular rocket uses a donut avbay, which doesn’t allow the use of an anti-zipper design. Had I used a Kevlar harness it would have cut right through my donut avbay like butter and I would likely lost everything. Luckily, all of the electronics continued to work and the entire rocket is ok.

This was a well used harness. I’m guessing UV degradation. Teddys stitches all held great.

well, that is certainly a strong opinion. I use both.

This was a onebadhawk 3/4 tubular nylon harness which has at least 2300 lbs of breaking strength which should have provided at least four sigmas of safety margin given the weight of the rocket and the size of the bp charge. There are very, very good reasons to use nylon, the biggest being it has significantly more give than Kevlar. This particular rocket uses a donut avbay, which doesn’t allow the use of an anti-zipper design. Had I used a Kevlar harness it would have cut right through my donut avbay like butter and I would likely lost everything. Luckily, all of the electronics continued to work and the entire rocket is ok.

This was a well used harness. I’m guessing UV degradation. Teddys stitches all held great.
Maybe next time go with Blue Water brand 1" strap. And make sure you buy it from a rocketry supply vendor. I dont want to piss another one off.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Dang. Sorry to hear it lawn darted. :(

How bad is the damage?

The damage isn't too bad. sustainer and nose cone are both fine. After I dug out the 30 lbs of argonia dirt from the booster, the quick link was still attached, but it looks like it bent the ubolt. I was planning on flying it again on an O, but now I'm going to dig out the ubolt and replace it before flying again.

Nylon shredded very evenly which indicates to me there was likely a cut from a previous launch I didn't see when I inspected it.

20200905_182809.jpg

My son got his MadCow Sport X launched this morning, perfect flight, although the walk was a bit far.

If anyone happened to notice the hydraulic oil stain on the culvert pipe on their way in or out.......🙋🏻‍♂️ .......winner, winner, that’s what was in my right rear shock. Not sure how I missed seeing that hole, but you can bet I won’t ever again!🤣. Swapped the popped tire, and leaned on the leaf spring to get us home.

Can’t wait to come back!80DA2C6C-B9FF-4190-8FF2-0E82C2EF9CA3.jpeg

31D0397F-9E89-4632-ADFC-31FA2985739C.jpeg

The damage isn't too bad. sustainer and nose cone are both fine. After I dug out the 30 lbs of argonia dirt from the booster, the quick link was still attached, but it looks like it bent the ubolt. I was planning on flying it again on an O, but now I'm going to dig out the ubolt and replace it before flying again.

Nylon shredded very evenly which indicates to me there was likely a cut from a previous launch I didn't see when I inspected it.

Glad to hear it will be flyable again. The pic from the other day looked like it landed in just about the best possible place.

My son got his MadCow Sport X launched this morning, perfect flight, although the walk was a bit far.

If anyone happened to notice the hydraulic oil stain on the culvert pipe on their way in or out.......🙋🏻‍♂️ .......winner, winner, that’s what was in my right rear shock. Not sure how I missed seeing that hole, but you can bet I won’t ever again!🤣. Swapped the popped tire, and leaned on the leaf spring to get us home.

Can’t wait to come back!View attachment 430845

View attachment 430844
That sucks

That sucks

A bit, but it will teach me to pay better attention! I’m just glad it wasn’t a brake line, and she got us home! A tow from out there on a Sunday would have been......breathtaking, I’m sure! Bright side.....

Can’t wait to come back!View attachment 430845

View attachment 430844
I know your pain kind of. In 2014 coming back from Argoina pulling my RV my 99 ram truck tranny got hot and left me in wellington. Got truck and RV trailered home thanks to AAA. I had to get a tranny rebuilt at that time. Fast forward 3 years in 2017 I got a brand new cummins. Any car trouble sucks.

A bit, but it will teach me to pay better attention! I’m just glad it wasn’t a brake line, and she got us home! A tow from out there on a Sunday would have been......breathtaking, I’m sure! Bright side.....
What vehicle do you have? I noticed from the pic it looks like a ford. A f150?

What vehicle do you have? I noticed from the pic it looks like a ford. A f150?

Yup, 2015 F150. She brought us home safe and sound, riding pretty much solely on the leaf on that side. Didn’t really have any weight in the back, but I did pucker at a few of the 412 bumps! 🤣

Thank you so much for going to the trouble of posting all those pics Justin..
It sure looks like everyone had a wonderful time..
This is the first Airfest I have missed since I started going to Airfest, God willing I won't miss another.
It sure is weird not being there..
What a wonderful bunch of people ...

Man, I wish I was there..

Teddy

Another great event hosted by the Kloudbusters!

Teddy - hope you can make it next year!

Great seeing everyone again!

-Kevin

Ha,,
Dats pretty funny Kevin,,
At least you want to see both of us..
Steve P from Illinois said I should just send her,, lol..

Teddy

Back