EVENT AIRFest 26 (2020)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't say as I blame it since Troj is coming with another one of his "Journey to the the Center of the Earth" projects....

....and now you know why Retta was cutting those willow switches. Because we all know she'd never even consider using one of them on me. You, on the other hand?

....and now you know why Retta was cutting those willow switches. Because we all know she'd never even consider using one of them on me. You, on the other hand?
Sorry bucko, Retta has a sandbox I spend timeout in. The willow switches are for you.
Retta says Deb has spared the spankings on you buddy.
No worries, Lance has some extra bag balm that Bob will apply to yore derriere.
hmmmmmmm!

They have a backup property (Travelodge) across the street that I think they would use if more people need rooms. I would call the hotel directly.
Thankfully I got my reservation in the main hotel. I ended up in the overflow Travelodge last year and it wasn't so great...

Sorry bucko, Retta has a sandbox I spend timeout in. The willow switches are for you.
Retta says Deb has spared the spankings on you buddy.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, Pat. It's okay, Retta and I will try to break it to you somewhat gently in Argonia... Lance's bag balm will ease the sting after a while, but the bruises will be there for a bit.

And no, I'm not kissing your thumb.

+2 more! Registered myself and my son this afternoon. Looking forward to our first Airfest.

As I've said, the deadline for full AIRFest 26 Pre-registration is Monday 8/17/2020. That means only one more day to pre-register as a flyer and order a t-shirt. There won’t be t-shirts available at the field – they must be ordered in advance – by Monday.

THIS IS A SPECIAL NOTICE ... In a special effort to minimize on-field registration I am extending the FLYER-ONLY registration until Sunday 8/23/2020. I REALLY don’t want to process registration at the field so please pre-register by next Sunday if you think you’re coming to AIRFest 26. Only flyer registration will be taken on-line from 8/17 through 8/23 (no shirts).

Another important point is that if you change your mind and have to cancel, simply e-mail with your cancellation up to the day AIRFest 26 starts.

Thank you all for PRE-REGISTRING <wink> <wink>

Do it folks! Having pre-registration at our (small) event this year made things much easier, it took a day one task off the list which is very nice for those doing the work!

Do it folks! Having pre-registration at our (small) event this year made things much easier, it took a day one task off the list which is very nice for those doing the work!
Bruce, thanks for the bump! It really does help streamline everything.

Registration is a clerical task that takes quite a bit of time both prior to the launch and during the launch. If I can reduce the time spent at the field and ESPECIALLY the contact time in this environment it could be time I can go fly a rocket. ;)

TWO WEEKS TO AIRFEST 26!!!

I spend a lot of time thinking about how flyers can be as careful as possible at AIRFest 26 with COVID precautions. We expect compliance with social distancing and mask-wearing while in the presence of others. A few other things I'll mention today ...

A quick thing ... check the expiration date of your TRA or NAR membership. AIRFest 26 is wholly in September and sometimes membership expiration sneaks up on people. We will spend less time together if your membership has not expired.

Fill out your flight cards PRIOR to getting into the queue for RSO. Some flight cards will be in the flyer packets and more available at REGISTRATION throughout the launch. Do not expect to linger at RSO to complete your flight card - bring it to RSO already done.

We will have a "Yellow Zone" at the Rocket Pasture where everyone must wear a mask. This will be from the time you get in line for RSO to check your rocket, through getting the rocket reviewed by the RSO, during the time you wait for a pad assignment, while you are at the pads racking your rocket and ultimately through to exiting the range. This will be for the safety of the flyers as well as those who have volunteered to work the range duty. Remember "YELLOW ZONE - MASK REQUIRED"

AIRFest 26 is all about the rockets. Some of the usual other peripheral activities will be curtailed; sponsors and participants have been asked to help with compliance.

Any idea if sparkies will be permitted?
We are waiting on hearing from our landowner if the field to the east has been burned off. If it has, we will allow sparky motors. If not, sparky motors will not be allowed. Keep in mind, all sparky motors, regardless of impulse, must fly from the away pads located out in the field to the east. The closest pads are set at M impulse distance. If you have the desire to fly a G sparky motor it's going to be from a long way away. This is a fire prevention measure and will not be waived under any circumstance.

We are waiting on hearing from our landowner if the field to the east has been burned off. If it has, we will allow sparky motors. If not, sparky motors will not be allowed. Keep in mind, all sparky motors, regardless of impulse, must fly from the away pads located out in the field to the east. The closest pads are set at M impulse distance. If you have the desire to fly a G sparky motor it's going to be from a long way away. This is a fire prevention measure and will not be waived under any circumstance.
Okay, thanks for the info. Just planning what motors to pack...

Hello AIRfest-ers,

Sooper-dooper, extra special extended AIRfest 26 pre-registration ends tomorrow/Sunday.

If you're coming, please do is both a favor and register NOW - it is far easier than registering at the field.

And hey, if something comes up and you have to cancel, be assured we will refund your flyer fees "no questions asked".

Finally, while you're on the site please grab a couple of the remaining range duty slots. You will be glad you did.

Thanks¡

It was a little warm at the rocket pasture today. It’s finally dried out enough so at least most of the pasture was mowed Friday. Expect it to be rolled up in the next couple of days so I can start laying out campsites and roads. A lot easier it will be this year then last with half the attendance. Each site will have 20’ widths to set up in but this will include your 6’ set backs between. Work with your neighbors so you achieve the required distances so all will be safe. ‘Don’t set your prep areas next to each other. We are giving you the responsibility to make it work. Be creative but don’t move your boundaries unless each side agrees.
There will be no center lane parking this year so most sites will also have more depth to set up in.
The best News is that the current long range forecast is showing highs in the 70’s and low 80’s. Hopefully I haven’t jinxed it now and the rocket pasture gods will turn up the furnace or open the tap.

Everyone have a safe trip and I am sure going to miss you Teddy as I know you will be missing all of us this year. That also goes for the hundred plus that are staying home for health or other reasons.

Last edited:
Just one week until the start of AIRFest 26. We'll be working this weekend getting ready for our friends from all around the U.S.A. Please do your part and go the the Volunteers page on the AIRFest 26 web-site and grab a couple slots or Range Duty. I'll have to cut that off on Monday so I can make sign-up lists for the field. https://kloudbusters.org/airfest/rangeduty.aspx

Also, if you have had a positive COVID test and been instructed to quarantine or if you feel bad or have a fever - YOU MUST DO THE RESPONSIBLE THING AND STAY HOME. If you need to cancel your pre-registration for that or any other reason, please send an email to me by Thursday 9/3/2020 ([email protected]) and I will refund your flyer fees, no questions asked.

In addition to the normal rocket gear, this year some additional stuff to be packed:
1. Face masks.
2. Hand sanitizer.
3. Disinfectant wipes.
4. Hand wipes.
5. Disposable gloves.
6. PENS!
7. Can't find rubbing alcohol in the store. I DID find a suitable substitute ;)

af-gear.jpg

In addition to the normal rocket gear, this year some additional stuff to be packed:
1. Face masks.
2. Hand sanitizer.
3. Disinfectant wipes.
4. Hand wipes.
5. Disposable gloves.
6. PENS!

I'm not flying anything this year (which is likely causing Bob to breath a sigh of relief ;)), but my packing list is very similar to yours!

-Kevin

I'm planning on bringing a 6 foot ladder to use at the away pads if one is not already there?
Be nice if I did not need to bring it.

Back