Aero Gloss question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockhiittman

Reaction score
Does Aero Gloss balsa fillercoat primer have any effect on yellow wood glue,as far as weakening a joint or softening the glue

When I used Aero Gloss Sander Sealer, which I don't anymore because its too expensive; I never notice either of the conditions you have described here.

That being said, I usually would fill coat the fins first and then apply the wood glue second to bond the coated fins to the craft tube and again as fillets.

I never saw a failure that I would attribute to the "softening" of the glue.

The two failures I did notice were; 1) the fins just popping off and 2) "hinging" like a swinging gate. Both of these I believe were caused primarily by the glassine coating on the craft tube.

In the first case the glue failed to bond the sealed fin to the smooth tube surface. The latter I suspect was a result of the glassine layer peeling away from the tube but the fin and craft paper remained attached to one another.

Both were addressed by sanding the glassine off prior to marking the tube for fin/launch lug placement.

Maybe someone else has experienced what you have described. :confused:

Good Luck

it would probably disolve the glue or soften it quit a bit until the laccer vaporizes. I used windex, ammonia, to get some wood glue off a glass table that had dripped through my newspapers when building a rocket

Back