Zephyr Jr Gloss Finish

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel_of_the_Skies

Reaction score
Im looking to get a gloss and shiny finish on my Zephyr Jr from Apogee Components. I want to get as close of a finish as @Nathan does on his rockets

I have surface prepped my rocket and have a very smooth surface to work on now. All spirals and wood grained have been filled using Duplicolor 2 in 1 Hi-Build Sandable filler primer (Lacquer).

My next step is to prime the rocket for the topcoats. I will be sanding with 400 grit. My question is:

Would I be fine using Rustoleum white primer as my base coat? which I believe is an oil based enamel paint.

I intent to make this thread as a way to build up to a glossy and shiny finish, as a way for myself and others to learn !

I will be using Rustoleum 2x in spray paint cans. I believe they are enamel.
Correct.

Generally, Rusto 2x cans would be a non-traditional way to achieve a Nathan-like finish, but you can still get good very good results. Ultimately it's all about surface prep and sanding... lots and lots of sanding. And polishing.

Correct.

Generally, Rusto 2x cans would be a non-traditional way to achieve a Nathan-like finish, but you can still get good very good results. Ultimately it's all about surface prep and sanding... lots and lots of sanding. And polishing.
Yes I have come to the realization a lot of it is where the paint is being added to aka the surface of the soon to be painted rocket.

Since the duplicolor filler I have used is lacquer, would there be any bad reaction if using enamel paints ?

Correct.

That and keep your hands away from the surface because clear gloss can affect the underlying paint. I really boo-booed one rocket where I sprayed a little too much clear and then put my fingers in the wrong spot! Fingerprinted it for life! 🤣🤣🤣

No, you're fine.
Thanks! Just painted Rustoleum 2x white primer on my rocket. Going to give it 48 hours to fully dry before I sand with 400 grit.

I’m very excited to almost be done with the pre color prep ! I’ll upload photos tomorrow, but I am really liking how the rocket is looking even just now

42418699-CF15-4B4C-9F16-65E34C74A37A.jpeg

Actually, here is the rocket an hour after painting. As you can see the surface prep gone into the rocket is paying off.

I don’t know about you guys but although all has gone smooth so far, I’m anxious there’s going to be a hiccup in the next painting steps… currently biting my nails lol

I don’t know about you guys but although all has gone smooth so far,
Everything goes great for me until I get to the painting. Then it all goes to crap, but oddly enough it doesn't bother me as I was never expecting a smooth glossy look unless I drizzle laminating epoxy all over it. Besides, I'm one of those who glues on little bits and pieces to make it look less like tube with fins and more like something out of an old Buck Rogers serial.

Back