Adios, Colorado

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Hinton

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks;

Well, it took them 50 years to do it, but they finally ran me out of CO. I'll take this opportunity to bid a fond farewell to my CO flying buddies. I wish that we could have made one more launch to say goodbye, but then, because 2020 I guess. We have taken up residence in Medicine Lodge, KS. Things are going OK. My wife is from this area of KS originally, (Dodge City), and she wanted to go home. She has asked very little over the years, so when she does ask for something, I do my best to make it happen. This one took about all of the determination that I could muster. I hope to be able to fly with the Kloubusters in Argonia. They are a great club and I have really enjoyed the couple of occasions that I have flown with them. I will definitely miss Joe Hinton and the great folks at Northern Colorado Rocketry. I attained my L2 and L3 with NCR and I will always remember this club and the assistance that I received from them. Happy Trails!

Jim

I have always wanted to live in Colorado. Growing up and living in a swampy humid climate, I always looked forward to traveling to the West. We have traveled to Colorado quite a bit and I have been to almost every region of the state. Good luck to you!

All the best for you and the Mrs..
You'll get settled and it'll feel like home in no time..

Be safe and healthy, that's what matters..

Teddy

I was stationed at Lowery Air Force Base in the early 90's and it was the first time I had ever been to CO. I fell in love with the area between CO Springs and Denver especially the Castle Rock area. Being from the gulf coast of Texas it was a great change for me. We started going back to CO every year for vacations and long weekends but as the years went by we really started to see a change and it wasn't good. The last time we were there (2019) coming home from Wyoming it took us 4 hours to get thru Denver in fact it was so bad we had to get over on the toll bypass going to CO Springs and it cost us $69 in tolls (towing camper). And the people have changed (influx from CA and NY and other radical places I guess) anyway to make a long story short CO is off the list no more visits or vacations.

Now on the other hand moving to Kansas and being close enough to fly with the KB's out at the rocket pasture is just insanely great. I'm green with envy :) That's Great and lots of really good folks too.

Good luck to you Jim! When our mailing address was "Brighton Colorado" I hadn't got back into rocketry... I bet we lived within 5 miles of each other.

Colorado is becoming more and more difficult to "coexist" in. All the folks leaving other states they hate... coming here... and turning Colorado into the state they just left. It's hard to fix stupid.

Lived in Colorado Springs most of my life till I joined the military in 1980. Went back when I retired and my Colorado no, longer exists Might as well be Berkley in the Rockies.
has to leave after 2 years

We all have to make transitions. I retire in 21 months and plan to stay where I am but travel more. Kansas is a great place to fly!

Good for you Chuck! I retired July 1st 2020 from classical primary care medicine (call, office and hospital work) and don't regret it one iota. Am too old to be kept awake all night long and be expected to work full time the next day. When I was young and tough, o.k. But not in middle age.
Would get scared witless when a patient was tanking and the tertiary care hospitals didn't have beds for transfer. I was getting too old for this stuff and got out at 64 years of age. Plus I have an autistic spectrum mentally handicapped son who is doing great now once he got out of puberty that I have to care for. Was widowed January 25th, 2019 when my wife died of Radon induced lung cancer. We didn't know it was a problem here and hadn't tested until she got sick. She never smoked a cigarette in her life. I didn't marry until I was 31 going on 32 so I knew how to do domestic chores and cook. Since Sally passed, those skills came back plus she saved all my old cookbooks!
It's so much better now I can get up when I want and do what I want to do. Still gotta clean up my rocket shop though! Maybe in the spring when it's warmer.:)
Kurt Savegnago

Back