4" Falcon 9 Dragon 2 Scratch Build Thread!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That school 3D printer sure puts out a nice smooth finish on the parts!!
Bambu labs P1P 3d printer. I am going to get one to replace my old 3d printer at some point. Best parts about it are that it levels itself, it takes timelapse videos, and makes amazing quality parts. I never could get my 3d printer at my house to stop making spider-webby parts, no matter what I did. I did a test on the 3d printing splicer and the Dragon Capsule takes 27 hours on my printer and 7 hours on the school printer. The school printer parts are still 3x better quality.
As a tax paying US citizen....​
You're Welcome.​
;)
I go to private school.

I go to private school.
As a tax paying US citizen....​
You're Welcome.​
;)
I don’t go to a private school but my middle school did have a set of 3d printers, they never told us who to go to too use them so they eventually gave up and gave them to some other school.

I don’t go to a private school but my middle school did have a set of 3d printers, they never told us who to go to too use them so they eventually gave up and gave them to some other school.
I work with a middle school teacher on rocketry. She says they have the printers, but no idea how to use them or what they should make.
However, they did manage to finance (through private donations) an e-sports facility and have started a team.
Priorities??

I work with a middle school teacher on rocketry. She says they have the printers, but no idea how to use them or what they should make.
However, they did manage to finance (through private donations) an e-sports facility and have started a team.
Priorities??
I think the IT guy knew how but he hates kids so I didn’t want to go there. (It’s not his fault, he has to fix all the problems they make)

Last edited:
My guess is the MaxQ version would fly well that way, but on landing parts would go everywhere!
This rocket is much longer than the Moonliner so it may be more feasible to use drag from those open struts to make it stable.

However, I also warmed up to clear add-on fins after seeing how invisible they were in the Moonliner.

Maybe you can find a way to hide the clear fins inside, below, or between the struts...

Already said I'm not going to open the struts. Just using clear fins.

Liking the build so far
Think your idea of having essentially 2 different booster tubes is a good solution to the looks vs flight debate
Keep up with the posts!

Today I 3d printed the nozzles that have a central hole for flight:
20240320_162406.jpg

And.... uh..... here's another picture of the der falcon max:
(i'm sorry I couldn't resist)
20240320_162252.jpg

I also have another timelapse video!

Attachments

• video_2024-03-20_07-40-16.mp4
    18.3 MB
No, but when I finish 3d printing all the parts I will try to attach them all with masking tape for a good picture!

Back