4" Falcon 9 Dragon 2 Scratch Build Thread!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, it is time to start building this rocket! I am sorry about the long wait; I had a lot of other builds. Just finished 3d printing the nose cone today and it came out great! Printed it on a Bambu Lab P1P 3d printer at my school, as my 3d printer is having issues. I might want to get a P1P to replace the printer I have, though, it is a lot nicer. I upscaled the nose cone design from the apogee components falcon 9 plan on their website. Used my LOC 4" V2 to test fit it, and it fit perfectly only needing a small amount of masking tape.
20240314_155515.jpg20240314_155522.jpg
20240314_155615.jpg

I hope that you guys enjoy this thread and learn something! I will be 3d printing more parts on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

I plan to make the scale model based on the real Falcon 9 version that has both the SpaceX Decal on lower end of the rocket and the red NASA letters on the upper end of the rocket:
1710622911155.png
1710622965016.jpeg

What's the plan for stability? Thrust vectoring or adding fins?
I have been doing rocketry for a long time, but I have nowhere near the skill and knowledge needed to do thrust vectoring. I plan to add clear polycarbonate fins.

I’ll quote @lakeroadster ”GDS?”
I don't want to do GDS because I don't want to put a bunch of holes in the rocket and also I am going to 3d print the nozzles which would also make it hard to do. I will still use the clear fins.
Waffle Fins
You are making me hungry...
But seriously, the waffle fins on the falcon 9 are on the upper half of the rocket, and wont help with stability. I plan to add them for scale accuracy, but I don't want to add more on the lower half of the rocket for stability because it won't be scale accurate at all.

That's one stellar looking nose cone @ljwilley
Thanks! I forgot to add it is printed with PETG. It is actually my first PETG print because my printer at my house always failed when printing PETG no matter what I tried to fix it. Another reason to get a new printer. I tried to use the timelapse feature on the P1P but I set it up wrong. I will do it right and post some timelapse print videos tomorrow or the next day when I print more parts for this build.

Lexan fins are the closest thing to "scale accurate but stable" I can get because you can't see them well at a distance. I don't want to use something that will completely change the look of the rocket. I also plan to try to make the upper waffle fins so they can swing out like the real falcon 9 would on its descent. I have no reason for doing this other than it will be an extra feature to have on the rocket for fun.

Lexan fins are the closest thing to "scale accurate but stable" I can get because you can't see them well at a distance.
"Scale accurate but stable".... :oops:
really it's "In no way to scale, and wasn't even included on the rocket."​

Neither were the waffle fins included on the rocket
Sure they are... at the top.​
Hey... it's your rocket build it however you like. Make the fins part of the motor mount so they are removable. Just like Estes does when they add fake parts for stability.​

I have been doing some thinking, and I have decided that it would be hard to add removable fins/ motor mount along with the nozzles, and I have decided that I will just glue them in like I originally planned. Thanks for your input, though.

Just printed 2 of the 4 landing legs. Also used my school printer and this time I have the timelapse video! Tomorrow I will print the other 2.
20240318_164757.jpg

20240318_164807.jpg

And of course yet another picture of the parts being test fitted on my Mega Der Red Max:
20240318_165018.jpg

Timelapse video is attached below.

Attachments

• video_2024-03-18_07-52-04.mp4
    47.8 MB
Wondering....
If the legs were in the landing position, but during flight, would that help to stabilize the flight? Maybe a spin test is in order.​
Could you attach the Lexan to the legs such that it was removable? Kind of a tube with the fins that slides onto the base and the legs lock it into position?​

I don't want to lock the legs into position, because that is not how it looks in flight, only in landing. But I have actually had another completely different idea-
I could make the whole bottom section of the rocket removable instead of just the motor mount and I would have one for flight and one for display-- I can attach the flight one with the metal pin things from apogee components when needed. I would separate the body tube here:

KSC-20200429-PH-SPX01_0002_large.jpg

Wondering....
If the legs were in the landing position, but during flight, would that help to stabilize the flight? Maybe a spin test is in order.Could you attach the Lexan to the legs such that it was removable? Kind of a tube with the fins that slides onto the base and the legs lock it into position?
Max-Q has a much smaller falcon 9 model and I've been wondering the same thing. I want to try it, but I suspect things won't go well based on the results that @BigMacDaddy had with his TWA Moonliner.

I call them both grid fins and waffle fins-- when I am hungry I am more likely to call them waffle fins!

Latest posts

Back