3" Tailcone Aerodynamics Research Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarVac

Reaction score
The past few months I have been working on a 3" research rocket designed to measure the effects of various tailcones on drag at supersonic speeds.

While I've seen papers on bullet boattails, there is scant (I couldn't find it) free-flight experimental data above Mach 1.2 of aerodynamic bodies sized more like rockets.

In order to capture data on a useful range of tailcones, we need a large ratio between the airframe diameter and the final diameter of the motor. By combining this objective with size and cost constraints, we selected a 3" airframe with 54mm snap-ring motors.

IMG_3435.JPG

The 54mm motor which gets the highest speed in a 3" rocket, so far as my simulations have predicted, is the Kosdon-by-Aerotech Animal-compatible L2300G. Any other motor is a compromise. The CTI K1440WT goes nearly as fast, but the full-width aft closure limits the range of testable tailcones. The Loki L1400LW reaches about the same speeds as the K1440, but it's not certified in California. Nothing else comes close speed-wise, and the 54/2550 KBA motors additionally offer a dramatic cost advantage. On the other hand, the L2300 has acquired a reputation for blistering cases, so we bought an extra case. Additionally, we contacted the manufacturer, who told us to inhibit the smoke grain and bond everything in. Hopefully that's enough...

The tailcones themselves are cut from aluminum, and mounted on the rocket with custom cut Acme threads. They taper at 0, 5, 10, and 15 degrees from the OD of the rocket, 3.135 inches, over a length of 1.619 inches (the longest possible for a 15 degree tailcone).

IMG_3432.JPG

They're pretty awesome.

Each tailcone will be flown at least 3 times so that we can measure variance. Thus, we have 14 L2300's waiting in the wings to be flown.

The rocket itself is made from 3" PR filament-wound fiberglass tubing, except for the parachute bay which is made from 3" carbon-fiber which we acquired (intercepted it when it was being thrown out). The nosecone is a PR 3" 5:1 FWFG metal-tipped von Karman part. The fins are .072" thick CF panel from ACP; I decided their size merited a bit more thickness and so laminated 6oz CF on the central part of each fin to reduce the tendency to flutter.

IMG_3434.JPG

We actually have materials for two airframes, in case disaster strikes; the second one is in construction by two freshmen I'm mentoring on this project.

For electronics, we have a MuddLogg16 v3 (and a backup in case one fails) logging. It features 16 channels of 16-bit data collection. https://www.eng.hmc.edu/NewE80/PDFs/MuddLogg16UserGuide.pdf
Feeding the MuddLogg16 are one pressure sensor, and 3 125g accelerometers, all oriented along the rocket's axis. If the flights are off-vertical, we will work out what the angle of the rocket is based upon GPS data. The sensors are all 5V, while the data logger only measures up to 3.3 volts, so the output data is buffered by a single-sided op-amp, run through a voltage divider, and then buffered again before going into the data logger.

IMG_3433.JPG

This is all shoved into the nosecone; on the far side is a Beeline GPS 70cm and a Raven2. It's mounted with the "glueless" technique that CJ showed in his 3" Darkstar thread; there's an allthread running down the opposite side of the G10 sled.

For recovery, we're using a 60" Spherachute and redundant Archetype Rocketry cable cutters.

Here's the RASAero file for the rocket with the straight aft section; change the boattail base diameter from 3.1349 to 2.853, 2.573, or 2.297 (5, 10, 15 degree half-angle) to see what the boattails look like. The narrower ones are slightly lighter. It predicts around 14-15,000 feet, with a gain in about 1000 feet from the 15 degree boattail.

View attachment tailcone_king.alx1

That's all for now; I'll post an .ork file later. OpenRocket claims this thing goes only 11-12,000 feet. I'm not sure which to believe. In between?

Last edited:
Great project! I was just hearing about it yesterday from one of your Professors!
Looking forward to the results :)

I am honestly surprised this has not gotten more attention.

I for one am excited to see the results and get as much information for my own endeavors.

Thank you for keeping this info public. With this and the Bare Necessities, there is really some great engineering and science project coming from you and your group.

Good experiment! I am interested in the results, and I am sure they will prove very useful to people interested in setting new altitude records!

Good experiment! I am interested in the results, and I am sure they will prove very useful to people interested in setting new altitude records!

+1. And may I add that that is a fine looking rocket you've got there. You could paint it with a fluorescent color to maximize the chances of getting it back.

Rocketgeek101

Awesome. I second that you and your group are doing great things out there. It's great that you're mentoring freshmen as they build the backup vehicle as well.

I just ground-tested it, and loaded a motor. 1.2 grams seems nice and perky.

Motor, as opposed to motors, because it seems one of the two case's aft snap ring groove likes to chew up O-rings. We'll have to clean that out some other time. In the meantime, there should be 4 flights tomorrow (today?) barring something unspeakable happening.

Ugh.

I forgot the GPS receiver. Sat around helping the e80 students with their launches.

I flew it once in the 15-degree tailcone configuration. It was awesome, but Bad Things happened.

The cable cutter experienced an odd failure because the parachute bundle was very squat, allowing momentum to rip it out of the cable tie. It landed pretty hard in a flat spin (~100 ft/s if I remember correctly), damaging the data collection electronics and dislodging two of the fins.

I am not quite sure what happened to the case, but my suspicion is that it did blister, since it has permanently lodged itself in the booster. I'm going to have to take the diamond-grit bandsaw to the body tube to see what happened, but that has to wait until I have time.

I have Raven data on another computer; it went 14,251 feet based on the beepout, and ~1800 ft/s if I remember correctly based on the Raven. (that's Mach 1.6 assuming the speed of sound being 1126 ft/s). The acceleration peaked at 49 G.

I haven't had the time to go through the remains in detail to figure out what electronics need to be remade, but I'll get around to that sometime (and I'll post videos too).

Thank you for the update, I saw your post in the cable Cutter thread so I guessed it was from this rocket. That is why I posted in here :)

Hopefully everything turns out better for you, and your group. Did that back up rocket ever take shape?

[video=youtube;wvByIjwoKgY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvByIjwoKgY[/video]

This is very cool. I'm glad that we are trying to get some actual rocket science done in this hobby. I'm sorry the down part didn't go so well. I have also found that tethers in general are a difficult thing to master (I found that one out the hard way). I hope that everything will be alright to give this experiment another go sometime soon down the road.

P.S I remember packing that box of L2300s and thinking, who the hell needs all of these L2300s? Still funny to see that many of one motor in one box......

I just checked the data collection electronics and aside from the cracked microSD card, everything I had to make is alright.

The Raven is fine too.

My only concern is the Beeline GPS, which wouldn't download data to my computer in the field, and the battery for which is no longer as flat as it once was.
It did remain transmitting after the crash, but I will have to check that it is alright.

In discussion with CCotner, we realized that the motor might not have blistered and stayed stuck for another reason. The motor tube was only 12 inches long, at the back, with the front supported by an eyebolt in the forward closure (which incidentally was where thrust was applied through). When it landed hard on its side, the eyebolt must have bent, lodging the motor in the booster.

I hope that is the case. The ignition transient was fairly gentle, based on Raven data and the video, so the liner might not have experienced as much physical load.

It's FIPA time!

Caveat: I believe this Raven suffers from the nonlinear ADC issue, causing high accelerations to be exaggerated slightly. Both this flight and the last flight have the Raven dramatically overestimating the altitude based on the accelerometer, despite this flight being straighter than any other flight I've ever seen. Dead perfect straight up all of the way to apogee. Incredible.

View attachment tailcone_king_flight1_l2300g.FIPa

attachment.php

Attachments

• tailcone_king_L2300g_flight1_fipa.png
    tailcone_king_L2300g_flight1_fipa.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,178
And now for the ORK file, with the mass overridden to the actual pre-flight mass. If you compare the numbers to the FIPA, OpenRocket claims that it accelerates ~6 G faster, goes 100 ft/s slower, and apogees 3,000 feet (!) lower than it actually did.

View attachment lighter_tailcone_3_15deg.ork

attachment.php

Here you can see that the forward end of the motor is unsupported except for the 3/16" eyebolt going to the forward bulkhead, which I presume bent during the 100 ft/s sideways landing. I never thought that that would be a problem, but Murphy's Law.....

Attachments

• Tailcone_King_L2300_15deg_ork.jpg
    Tailcone_King_L2300_15deg_ork.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,200
And now for the ORK file, with the mass overridden to the actual pre-flight mass. If you compare the numbers to the FIPA, OpenRocket claims that it accelerates ~6 G faster, goes 100 ft/s slower, and apogees 3,000 feet (!) lower than it actually did.

From prior posts:

<< Here's the RASAero file for the rocket with the straight aft section; ........... It predicts around 14-15,000 feet, with a gain in about 1000 feet from the 15 degree boattail. >>

<< I have Raven data on another computer; it went 14,251 feet based on the beepout, and ~1800 ft/s if I remember correctly based on the Raven. (that's Mach 1.6 assuming the speed of sound being 1126 ft/s). The acceleration peaked at 49 G. >>

Did you get a chance to re-run the rocket on RASAero with the actual pre-flight mass (lift-off weight)? It looks like the RASAero prediction was 750 ft high, versus the Open Rocket prediction being 3,000 ft low, compared to the 14,251 ft barometric altitude.

Chuck Rogers
Rogers Aeroscience

From prior posts:

<< Here's the RASAero file for the rocket with the straight aft section; ........... It predicts around 14-15,000 feet, with a gain in about 1000 feet from the 15 degree boattail. >>

<< I have Raven data on another computer; it went 14,251 feet based on the beepout, and ~1800 ft/s if I remember correctly based on the Raven. (that's Mach 1.6 assuming the speed of sound being 1126 ft/s). The acceleration peaked at 49 G. >>

Did you get a chance to re-run the rocket on RASAero with the actual pre-flight mass (lift-off weight)? It looks like the RASAero prediction was 750 ft high, versus the Open Rocket prediction being 3,000 ft low, compared to the 14,251 ft barometric altitude.

Chuck Rogers
Rogers Aeroscience

I just reran the simulation in RASAero with 12.31 lbs liftoff weight, and it got 15280 feet, 1029 feet optimistic.

The only thing is that the fin edge conditions affect the result too much; my fin edges were actually square, but when I run the simulation with square edges instead of rounded, RASAero says 12423 feet.

EDIT: I just tried all of the other fin edge conditions with reasonable values, and none of them estimate as high as "rounded" does. Furthermore, none of them even reaches the actual altitude.

Last edited:
Carlo,

Can you rerun the OpenRocket simulation with round fin edges instead of square?

Thanks

Kevin

For RasAero, did you enter the exit cone diameter of the nozzle, and is that fully expanded or not? It will affect the results, as will changes in burn time. Drag is lower when the motor is generating thrust.

Gerald

PS - Anecdotally, I understand even generating smoke trail drops the drag very slightly.

I looked at the ORK again and saw that the fins were a tad thicker than in the RASAero simulation. Only part of the fins was reinforced, so the thickness was not even. The thin part was .072 inches thick, and the thick part was ~.09 inches thick.

Anyway. I set it to 0.082 inches thick, and here's the results:

ORK Airfoil: 12296 feet.
ORK Rounded: 12102 feet.
ORK Square: 11719 feet.

Really, until I fly the second rocket on different tailcones, the effect of the tailcones on the performance relative to the predictions can't be ascertained (since the fin edges seem to have such a dramatic effect).

For RasAero, did you enter the exit cone diameter of the nozzle, and is that fully expanded or not? It will affect the results, as will changes in burn time. Drag is lower when the motor is generating thrust.

Gerald

PS - Anecdotally, I understand even generating smoke trail drops the drag very slightly.

Yes, I did enter the size of the exit diameter.

The plume is far from fully expanded, though; from the looks of the GREEEEEEEN in the launch photo in post 15, the flame expands out to the full 3" diameter of the rocket.

I just reran the simulation in RASAero with 12.31 lbs liftoff weight, and it got 15280 feet, 1029 feet optimistic.

The only thing is that the fin edge conditions affect the result too much; my fin edges were actually square, but when I run the simulation with square edges instead of rounded, RASAero says 12423 feet.

EDIT: I just tried all of the other fin edge conditions with reasonable values, and none of them estimate as high as "rounded" does. Furthermore, none of them even reaches the actual altitude.

<< ...my fin edges were actually square >>

Oh... The supersonic square leading edge fin wave drag model is one of the less refined models in RASAero. Because typically for a high performance rocket the leading edge would at least be rounded.

One rule of thumb I've been experimenting with is for square leading edge fins, treating them as rounded leading edge fins but with double the actual leading edge radius. This may actually model the detached bow shock on a square leading edge at supersonic Mach numbers more accurately in terms of wave drag. You might want to try this.

Actually, for an aerodynamic experiment (boattail drag) like this, one tries to keep the rest of the experiment easy to analyze. I.E., you're looking to measure the difference in boattail drag, so keep the rest of the rocket as easy to analyze for the other component drags as possible. A rounded leading edge is much easier to analyze for wave drag than a square leading edge. The RASAero rounded leading edge fin wave drag model is a much better model than the square leading edge fin wave drag model. A hexagonal airfoil would be even better, but you may have had structural issues on why the fin leading edge couldn't come to a point (you left it square at the edge).

You can fly all of the rockets with the same square leading edge airfoil, and note that the difference in altitude (adjusted for any differences in launch weight or launch site elevation/pressure/temperature) is due to the different boattails. But if possible, and if allowable structurally, I'd round the square leading edges to make them easier to analyze, and in the case of RASAero, use a more accurate fin wave drag model.

Chuck Rogers
Rogers Aeroscience

You can fly all of the rockets with the same square leading edge airfoil, and note that the difference in altitude (adjusted for any differences in launch weight or launch site elevation/pressure/temperature) is due to the different boattails. But if possible, and if allowable structurally, I'd round the square leading edges to make them easier to analyze, and in the case of RASAero, use a more accurate fin wave drag model.

I'll round the fins on the next booster. And yes, I'm flying all the same configuration with the same motors in order to make the tailcones the only independent variable.

One question, though: why is the CD so much higher for hexagonal beveled fins with LE .5" and TE .25" than for rounded? At Mach 0.3, the CD for rounded is 0.388, while for the hexagonal fins as described above it's 0.484, a dramatic difference. The peak CD is 0.619 for hexagonal, but only 0.525 for rounded.

Last edited:
Back