1/100 scale launching platform for the 1/100 Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlaineC

Reaction score
Ok so i've been brainstorming I want to build a scale launching tower for my Saturn V for both usefullness and for display. I have found a small paper version but I want to built it out of the styrine and cannot figuare what the mesurements would need to be. i'm guessing that it would be 4" squaire by 3'5 feet tall. what do you all think

thanks printing them out now. jkust one question how to i read them grin.

thanks printing them out now. jkust one question how to i read them grin.

Peter's drawings take a little getting use to.

I assume this is to go with an Estes 1/100th scale model.

The drawing is 1/600th scale if you want to take dimensions off of the drawings just multiply everything by "6" to convert to 1/100th scale..

The dimension shown in the drawings are "real world" so the top of the tower is 398 feet tall. If you are going to use the drawing dimensions given then divide by 100 to get 1/100th scale.

That makes the tower 3.98 feet tall in 1/100th scale.

The base in the second drawing is 158' by 133'.

In 1/100th scale that is 1.58' by 1.33'.

Or 1' 6.96" by 1' 3.96".

Or 18.96" by 15.96".

thanks that helps alot so I guess 1/4 H beams are good for the main framework then 1/8 I beams for the cross sections and I'll have to work on the rest from their.

Char:
Peters drawings as sandman mentioned take a bit of getting used to. but once you have a scale factor and multiplier for your build using his stationing numbers make for a very accurate model. Sure wish I'd had better scale drawings and info back when I build my 1/100th Pad-39
from a couple Kennedy SFC postcards back in the 70's LOL.

As a launch platform the gantry is always Kewl! it was wired for both standard and Relay cluster ignition, and had remote controls to rotate the crane 360° right or left. raise and lower the cable winch, and move the access arms in and out before launch.
For car trunk transport the launcher split into 3 smaller sections; Square grey base, Gantry/gearbox and removable crane.

Heres a couple photos that may help a little to spur on your build. I believe I still have the full size plans somewhere if you think they'd help, but my gantry is entirely strip and sheet balsa, so they might not be of much help Scale wise.

Saturn-V-c-sm_Launcher Gantry&Controller-1(92dpi)_04-30-70.jpg

Saturn-V-Flt 038-b2-sm_countdown on Pad-39_12-04-71.jpg

Pad-39 Gantry-a-sm_3pic other models_12-04-72.jpg

heres one more shot of the Gantry showing the smoke splitter ducting under a single D13 liftoff. with Clusters the Smoke cloud was just GREAT! Sorry these old pics a scans of b&w poloriod still, all I could afford back in the day:D

Saturn-V flt 041-c-sm color liftoff_04-23-72.jpg

I believe I still have the full size plans somewhere if you think they'd help, but my gantry is entirely strip and sheet balsa, so they might not be of much help Scale wise.
I would be interested in those as well, as a Saturn 5 (1:20 scale) is on my medium term project list. ;)

Juerg

I would be interested in those as well, as a Saturn 5 (1:20 scale) is on my medium term project list. ;)

Juerg

You do realize that the tower would be about 5.8 meters (19.25 feet) tall in that scale.:surprised:

You do realize that the tower would be about 5.8 meters (19.25 feet) tall in that scale.:surprised:

Yes, I do. It will be quite large, but so was the real thing.
Probably 5 "L"'s in the first stage...
The reason for that scale is NOT the Saturn V but all the other space rockets that will come out in a nice size.
The Little Joe 2 (what I am starting with) is 7.5" in that scale, just about right ;)
But let's not hijack that thread...

Juerg

if you used strip balsa for yours then I could for mine as well. seeing as the 1/8 I beams will cost $60 for 100 count at 12" long and the 1/4th H beams are $25 for 13 count. your plans would be greatly helpfull.

for the base I was thinking 1/8th steel plate with 1" square x1/16th thick steel tileing the top. epoxied down and tiny ball barings for the rivets.

the main gantry frame would be 1/4 H beams for the outer supports and mid supports.

the cross members would be the 1/8th I beams and styrine plate.

the center elevater frame would be balsa.

The arms would retract at their half way point.

I was also thinking thatI could mount the whole thing onto my 1/6th scale rc tank to give it the tracks and allow me to move it into place. with a retractable brace to makesure the rocket does not fall dureing "transport"
It was also have interchangeable rod plates that would allow for other rockets use as well if I wanted.

I have one. it was used for my airplanes and boats so once I find it it will have a new job:D

You might be able to cut the cost even further by investing in a balsa stripper:

https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mas/masma4000.htm

I've had one of these for years, and while I admit it gets more use as a model airplane tool, than a model rocket tool, it's paid for itself many times over.

LOL Bunny Ya beat me to it! that's exactly what I did:
Purchased Balsa sheet in all the various thicknessed needed for the job. I think I still have a file in the cabinet with a parts list and receipts...but I haven't looked at it in years!

Char:
My base is 1/2" MOD-2 plywood with 1/8" tempered hardboard sides and "ribbs" the split blast deflector was all make with 22ga Galvineal steel simply pop riveted and epoxied in place. the base under the Gantry was carfully cut to slip fit into postion with tow layers of 1/8" hardboard tung in slot at the forward section and interlocks strips along both sides. This worked out GREAT for easy removal for transport but very rigid seating in place. Remotor control gear box and connections to amphenol mulit connector cable lines were attached to the underside of the gantry portion base plate with rotator rods, bearing and power wiring and contact rings run inside the elevator shaft. and inside the right side front corner at the access platforms. I make the access platfroms swing into the level plates without sliding back...I didn't see the detail until far after construction.
As the patterns are more then 30 years old, I can't be sure what kind of shape they're in: They are I believe on 1000H clearprint trasing paper, and a couple of old OLD OLD Ozlid blue prints. If either have survived in the tube I'll try to wrap a set up and ship them to you after Christmas:)

Every multi Launcher controller I've built since Has alway has switch provisions built in to accomidate a new Pad 39 complex... it's still a dream to rebuild the unit. Since Next year is the Saturn-V's 40th brithday, and my original Satrun-v has been retired, Maybe it's time for me to try start a new setup as well:)
It might be of a little intrest that I logged a little over 1100 hours building the last Pad 39 gantry complex;)
Heres a few more OLD BAD poloriod pics for your viewing pleasure.

You know micro I wish we could talk via im I would love to get other information from you. I have a harrier jet model I want to make fly. your a welth of information. you should write a book grin.

You know micro I wish we could talk via im I would love to get other information from you. I have a harrier jet model I want to make fly. your a welth of information. you should write a book grin.

A book..Oh my LOL!!!! you've been talking to my better 2/3rds haven't ya? She's alway after me about doing something like that.
there are plenty of good books alrready out there, The " Handbook of Model Rocketry" is a great reference, I wouldn't know where to start.....I had enough trouble writing the few Tech-Tip articles that have been published. Speaking of Tech-Tips tho.. one of them on "Plactic Model Conversion" might have the info your looking for for your Harrier. If you'll visit the Narhams.org website in the library section under tech-tips you can download them as needed;)
If you need more info I'm always happy to help if I can, Feel free to e-mail me here or better [email protected]. Texting and IM's are both forms of communication I try to stay away from...I have enough trouble keeping up with e-mail LOL!

I built a launch tower to go with the Sirius Rocketry Saturn V for the January/February 2008 issue of LAUNCH Magazine. I've attached a little teaser for you to look at...

Mario

lut.jpg

I built a launch tower to go with the Sirius Rocketry Saturn V for the January/February 2008 issue of LAUNCH Magazine. I've attached a little teaser for you to look at...

Mario

thats just not fair. but you have built it the way I want to build mine. what may I as did you use. mind sharing

thats just not fair. but you have built it the way I want to build mine. what may I as did you use. mind sharing
If I tell you what I used and how I did it, you won't need to read the magazine. :D

Mario

Launch complex models has a very detailed one, but it is 1/96, they have also talked about having a 1/48 scale as well.

https://www.launchcomplexmodels.com/ML.html

Nice links mrbusdriver and Sherri!
Man I sure wish I'd had these resorces and Peter's drawings back when I first built my unit:) Great stuff!!!

Mario that's just mean, She like most of us probably already get the mag. Tell the lady what she wants to know, it won't hurt a bit.

I'm hopeing to gain a subscription to it. they dont carry it in any of the hobbie shops or book stores in my area.

Back