Madcow Torrent for Jr. High Power Certification

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking rocket and great flight. Congratulations on your Level 1 certification!

I saw your Arrow flight as well. What kind of altitude did you get out of it?

It's was around 2800 feet. Give or take a hundred or so.

Last edited:
Congrats on you successful cert flight. Hope you and your folks had a good time.

Congrats on you successful cert flight. Hope you and your folks had a good time.

Hey Sam. Nice seeing you out there and thanks for your efforts with running the range and helping Robert out with the motor. Cool guy in my book!

It's was around 2800 feet. Give or take a hundred or so.

It was a beautiful flight, but my immediate thought when I saw it go way higher than I expected was "oh man, I'm a jerk." I felt bad about the walk you had ahead of you on that one, especially being I'm the one that talked you out of reefing the chute. I was relieved when I saw your dad headed out with the rocket recovery vehicle.

Seriously though that hard baked ground eats fins. I'm afraid of it and I'm not afraid to admit it.

It was a beautiful flight, but my immediate thought when I saw it go way higher than I expected was "oh man, I'm a jerk." I felt bad about the walk you had ahead of you on that one, especially being I'm the one that talked you out of reefing the chute. I was relieved when I saw your dad headed out with the rocket recovery vehicle.

Seriously though that hard baked ground eats fins. I'm afraid of it and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Haha yeah I was thinking that too when I saw it go that far! I love that rocket though! once I get everything figured out on the telemetrum I might just put it in the Rocket and launch it on the HP G137 reload. That'd be cool. :D

Me and my family had a great time at the launch! Hopefully we can be able to make another launch soon!

Wow, I was under the impression that sort of damage would lead to a fail...

Wow, I was under the impression that sort of damage would lead to a fail...

Yeah I was worried too. The guy who signed me off said though that the buckle (which was really the only real structural damage) could be fixed easily enough. He didn't seem to be under the impression that it was too much of a problem as long as it got fixed. As for the rest of the damages, they were really all just cosmetic. Even still, I think the rocket could have flown again even without fixing the buckle.

Yeah I was worried too. The guy who signed me off said though that the buckle (which was really the only real structural damage) could be fixed easily enough. He didn't seem to be under the impression that it was too much of a problem as long as it got fixed. As for the rest of the damages, they were really all just cosmetic. Even still, I think the rocket could have flown again even without fixing the buckle.

Although I wasn't the one who signed off, having seen it in person I would say it fell under could be flown with only minor repairs category and I would have signed too. The damage at the ends of the tubes is just wear and tear aesthetic stuff and not an issue at all as far as certification. The "buckle" which really looks worse in the above pic than it was in person is probably because of the automotive paint and just how good it looked to start with. If he hadn't filled the spirals so nicely and used such good paint it would have looked far less dramatic. My experience has been that automotive paint shows fracture type damage easier than normal paint, I know this is counter to the normal thinking, but that's what I have observed. Even if he would have needed to repair to fly (and again seeing it in person I'm not sure he would have had to) it was a scrape some paint, soak with CA, let dry 10 min away from flight worthiness on another H195. If he had to have proven it could be flown again in short order he definitely could have done it.

Related to fixing: Like I said CA would be fine, but if you really want the super tough fix. You can smear some epoxy down there and slide a coupler into that area to make it extra tough. That is of course if you can get a coupler in easily, I didn't look to see how you attached your buttons. Even if you used a permanent insert for the button you can;t get past, you could split the coupler, curl it up some to get it past the obstruction, then expand it to its full size and push into place.

Note: stuff like this is why I am afraid of that ground, and use over sized chutes. At least you can see where my advise to trade a long walk for repair work comes from. I love building rockets, I love flying rockets, but I HATE repairing rockets.

Yep, that crease was cosmetic. So say I and everyone who inspected it. Jack Sprague signed off on your cert form I believe.

pyrobob - Thanks bud but I'll never be as cool as this guy:

moto_fonzie_01.jpg

Although I wasn't the one who signed off, having seen it in person I would say it fell under could be flown with only minor repairs category and I would have signed too. The damage at the ends of the tubes is just wear and tear aesthetic stuff and not an issue at all as far as certification. The "buckle" which really looks worse in the above pic than it was in person is probably because of the automotive paint and just how good it looked to start with. If he hadn't filled the spirals so nicely and used such good paint it would have looked far less dramatic. My experience has been that automotive paint shows fracture type damage easier than normal paint, I know this is counter to the normal thinking, but that's what I have observed. Even if he would have needed to repair to fly (and again seeing it in person I'm not sure he would have had to) it was a scrape some paint, soak with CA, let dry 10 min away from flight worthiness on another H195. If he had to have proven it could be flown again in short order he definitely could have done it.

Related to fixing: Like I said CA would be fine, but if you really want the super tough fix. You can smear some epoxy down there and slide a coupler into that area to make it extra tough. That is of course if you can get a coupler in easily, I didn't look to see how you attached your buttons. Even if you used a permanent insert for the button you can;t get past, you could split the coupler, curl it up some to get it past the obstruction, then expand it to its full size and push into place.

Note: stuff like this is why I am afraid of that ground, and use over sized chutes. At least you can see where my advise to trade a long walk for repair work comes from. I love building rockets, I love flying rockets, but I HATE repairing rockets.

Yeah I hate repairing rockets. Especially after only it's first flight. The problem with sliding a coupler under the buckle is that it's between the front and rear centering ring, so unless I were to pull one of the centering rings out I can't get one back there. I'll see what I can do to fix it the best I can. Maybe I could do the fix with drilling holes and soaking it with CA glue, but instead of CA use a thin epoxy. That would sure hold up. :)

Samb, thanks for the name. Now that I saw it I'm almost certain it was him too.

Yeah I hate repairing rockets. Especially after only it's first flight. The problem with sliding a coupler under the buckle is that it's between the front and rear centering ring, so unless I were to pull one of the centering rings out I can't get one back there. I'll see what I can do to fix it the best I can. Maybe I could do the fix with drilling holes and soaking it with CA glue, but instead of CA use a thin epoxy. That would sure hold up. :)

Samb, thanks for the name. Now that I saw it I'm almost certain it was him too.

Oh, didn't realize it was between the CRs. Now, I'm sure it would hold up to flight without further repair. You could try to drill a larger hole in the bottom CR and pour in expanding foam also. You have many options for reenforcing it, I'm sure you'll work out the best one.

Again, congrats on the successful cert. hope you all get out again sometime.

G64

If you have a video that would be great! I think it was probably it's best flight.

Hmmm, I might be thinking of a different rocket then because the video I have didn't have much visible exhaust behind the rocket... I'll take another look.

Hmmm, I might be thinking of a different rocket then because the video I have didn't have much visible exhaust behind the rocket... I'll take another look.

Okay. I know there was one other guy who had launched an Arrow that day so it might have been his. The nose cone on my Arrow is almost a flat black compared to the rest of the rocket. I used the wrong clear coat and it started wrinkling the black paint. I sanded it down but I was afraid if I tried to put another coat of black on it would do it again so I just left it flat black. That might be a way to identify between the two.

The video I have is of the Arrow with G80 unfortunately...

By the way, did you use GPS tracking to find either rocket or did you go old school and walk around until you found them?

The video I have is of the Arrow with G80 unfortunately...

By the way, did you use GPS tracking to find either rocket or did you go old school and walk around until you found them?

On both flights, I was hiving some trouble connecting the telemetrum via the HAM radio so I just walked in the general direction the rocket went. The parachute was flapping around on the ground so it wasn't hard to find.

Back