Gloss over Flat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Well, I picked up the wrong can (rattle ,Krylon) and used FLAT clear instead of Gloss Clear. I kind of like it this way anywhoo,but just want to know, If I do the Gloss over the Flat..what should I expect for a result...a mess???????

If it's a lacquer, let it dry 1+ days, polish with auto polishing compound, and optionally hit it with clear then Future+Simplegreen.

If it's an enamel, I would let it dry thoroughly then go straight to Future and simplegreen.

Marc

PS: I know from experience with lacquer flat topcoated with lacquer gloss the result will generally be an intermediate level of gloss. More than satin, less than gloss, generally. Subsequent additional coats of gloss make it glossier.

thanks guys. I think Ill leave it the way it is. I all ready got way to must prep in this simple build and finish. By,the way,its my STRATOCRUISER thats just been a pain in the a$$ from the start.Simple build,but ....ahhhh......whatever :mad:

If it's this, you have to wait a minimum of 48 hrs before re-coating or you will have a mess. See label.

I use the Rustoleum version which is coat anytime.

I have done the same thing & gone over it with gloss with good results & no problems.

Picture 2.png

Back