Small holes on painted body tube that was fiberglassed and finished with Teflon Release mesh (instead of Mylar)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marintse

Reaction score
I fiberglassed my body tubes and then used Teflon Release Mesh instead of Mylar to finish the job. The surface looked great till I spray painted it. Small holes appeared over the painted surface even after several coats of primer (gray) and gloss paint (yellow and black) (SEE PHOTOS). WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1
I fiberglassed my body tubes and then used Teflon Release Mesh instead of Mylar to finish the job. The surface looked great till I spray painted it. Small holes appeared over the painted surface even after several coats of primer (gray) and gloss paint (yellow and black) (SEE PHOTOS). WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!!!
Not enough epoxy. Those are voids in the fiberglass where the epoxy is missing. Same thing happened to me.

Attachments

• 20230130_220406.jpg
    20230130_220406.jpg
    960.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230130_220305.jpg
    20230130_220305.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Not enough epoxy. Those are voids in the fiberglass where the epoxy is missing. Same thing happened to me.
This. You could fill the holes with epoxy, but sanding the tube smooth wouldn't be fun. I'd consider just filling with (diluted) wood filler or one-part body putty---they'll sand a lot more easily.

Pinholes are often caused by either a contaminant on the surface, or too much moisture in the air during painting. My guess is (based on prior experience) that some of the release material is still on the surface, and the pinholes are a surface tension issue. The only way to really fix it is to completely sand down the surface and then use a solvent cleaner to remove any surface chemicals that ought not to be there. Then try spraying a small area to see if you’ve cleaned it enough.

In my experience, if it’s a chemical contaminant causing the pinholes, more primer coats or even filler will not work very well. I learned that the hard way after hours of trying to fix a finish and then having to start over.

Good luck,

Tony

Last edited:
Back