Rustoleum Spray Paint: Spraying Flat Paint Seems To Work Better?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
Having tried this technique on my last 3 rockets, with good success, I wanted to share it.

I've found that using flat paint seems to allow the paint to dry quicker, with the added benefit of the flat paint doesn't stink as bad as the gloss. If you compare the MSDS sheets, there are significant differences in the chemicals used, gloss vs flat, for the same color of paint.

For a paint scheme that has multiple different colors, a flat paint isn't as smooth, and thus the second color coat has a surface with more bite to adhere to. Thus no sanding between coats is needed to ensure good adhesion.

Once the paint scheme is finished, spraying a semi-gloss or a gloss clear over the rocket gives you the finished appearance your after.

Anybody else try this?

Having tried this technique on my last 3 rockets, with good success, I wanted to share it.

I've found that using flat paint seems to allow the paint to dry quicker, with the added benefit of the flat paint doesn't stink as bad as the gloss. If you compare the MSDS sheets, there are significant differences in the chemicals used, gloss vs flat, for the same color of paint.

For a paint scheme that has multiple different colors, a flat paint isn't as smooth, and thus the second color coat has a surface with more bite to adhere to. Thus no sanding between coats is needed to ensure good adhesion.

Once the paint scheme is finished, spraying a semi-gloss or a gloss clear over the rocket gives you the finished appearance your after.

Anybody else try this?
This is something I've mused about but never tried. I have painted every Saturn I've built with flat paint and without a doubt in my mind, flats are hugely easier to apply evenly without runs etc. Getting a good wet coat with gloss is a hair's breadth from getting a nice fat run! I just might give this a try... on a non-scale subject of course! :)

The Montana lacquer paints that I use go on matte and are EXTREMELY easy to use. A quick coat of Max2K and they're super glossy and well protected.

Gloss-decals-matte clear coat.

Rustolium camouflage flats are awesome. Regular flats, not so much. I find them harder to use. Fluorescent flats...ancient Chinese Secrets to apply.

High end Tamya or Testors flat (if it is still around) for scale color. Big $$$.

Acrylics frighten this old dude. Fear is the mind killer. I love the smell of VOCs in the morning.

If you are west of the 98th meridian you have no excuse for humidity ruining yer paint job. If you are in the high country, no excuses for bugs. Bad weather, wait a day for sunshine. Basically no excuses when at a Rocky Mountian High. ;)

Yes, I initially used flat black as the color I wanted on my Big Daddy. It's a mostly black rocket with a gloss yellow nose cone and gloss yellow highlights on the leading edges of the fins. And after 2 months of having it that way (and flying it that way), I decided to spray it with clear gloss. And I liked the gloss look better. The reason I went with flat black initially was that I had plenty of that in the basement from a previous VW Beetle project. $1 store spray paint that was used to touch up bits on a daily driver Beetle. And because it was so cheap, I had over a dozen cans in the basement.

But I do gloss and flat color schemes for my rockets depending upon how I want them to look. My DBRM was given a distressed, weathered look as the "Der Rust Max", and is done with all flat paint.

Good to know. I'll have to try this for ease of use, but it is also not the answer I wanted to a question that's been on my mind for a long time.

What do you get with gloss clear over flat color? I was hoping the answer would be in between, like if you took a uniform brushed metal and gave it a light buffing. Shiny but with depth. But now I know that's not what I should expect to get. :(

Still (I repeat) good to know if it makes a good gloss result easier to achieve. 👍

Latest posts

Back