Speaking of Paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
From this recent(ish) thread from @lakeroadster I learned the answer to something I've wondered about for quite some time.
What do you get with gloss clear over flat color? I was hoping the answer would be in between, like if you took a uniform brushed metal and gave it a light buffing. Shiny but with depth. But now I know that's not what I should expect to get. :(
So, does anyone know some other way to get that look?

And while we're on the subject, does anyone know a way to get the look of tumbled/polished hematite or magnetite?
1674756372828.png1674756434509.png

You can get close to that look with Createx Quicksilver, 4101, (very, very light coat) on top of their Gloss black, 4258.

Probably could also get this effect with Candy O2 layering.

Key is the base color and what & how much is put on top.
There are lots of videos going over different way to use these Createx colors.

I gather you're both referring to the second question. Thanks. @SolarYellow, if you're referring to this stuff, yes, I'm very impressed. Just one thing: whoever says that looks like mercury has apparently never seen any mercury.

Any thoughts on the shiny-brushed hybrid?

I gather you're both referring to the second question. Thanks. @SolarYellow, if you're referring to this stuff, yes, I'm very impressed. Just one thing: whoever says that looks like mercury has apparently never seen any mercury.

Any thoughts on the shiny-brushed hybrid?

I was involved in the wheel industry professionally when that look was new and all the rage. Frankly, I hated it because it was impossible to touch up without a full refinish, and the paint shop couldn't match the factory finish so it basically meant all four wheels had to be redone. But wheel companies got a lot more money for the same crappy wheels when they made them look like that.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with "the shiny-brushed hybrid."

The shiny-brushed hybrid has nothing to do with the black; totally different thing. I was asking two different things in one post and then went and added pictures to support one of them; maybe that wasn't smart.

Imagine taking a piece of brushed aluminum (or other metal), good quality, uniform appearance. Then giving it a light buffing, so the brushed look is not gone (maybe diminished a bit) but a limited shine is superimposed on it. I imagine that would have great "depth".

Now imagine it isn't metal, but paint. Start with a matt finish (in your mind) and a little bit of gloss superimposed such that there's that limited gloss without losing all of the matt.

I had hoped that using gloss clear over a matt color would achieve that. According to lakeroadster, it doesn't. Gloss clear just wipes out the matt. So is there some other way?

DIGRESSION ALERT: Incidentally, I have part of an idea how to do it in a metal that can take a high polish (silver, copper, gold, not aluminum or titanium because of the oxide layers). The first part is getting the uniform brushed finish on one of those, which I don't have a good idea for, but maybe one can buy it that way. the brushed appearance depends on a jagged microstructure, so literally buffing it lightly might work, but I imagine it would be hard to get uniform. So I'd try a very brief electropolish to evenly smooth over just a little of the peaks of the microstructure. In my head, that works great. In reality? :dontknow:

I think it would be easier to start with a polished metal surface and add minimal brushing. That keeps the polished flats between the scratches of the brushing. Anything that will polish will wrap around the asperities and get down into the grooves. Getting a good look would be very labor intensive and require a lot of skill and care, after a lot of work to figure out how to accomplish the desired result. I'd probably look into trying a range of grades of Scotch-Brite or similar abrasive pads.

You might look for paint that provides a "hammer finish"'. This was often used on industrial machine tools.

From this recent(ish) thread from @lakeroadster I learned the answer to something I've wondered about for quite some time.

So, does anyone know some other way to get that look?

And while we're on the subject, does anyone know a way to get the look of tumbled/polished hematite or magnetite?
View attachment 559578View attachment 559579
We recently added a bunch of new metallic and pearlescent coatings. One in particular might look very similar to the look you are trying to achieve. We named it Shimmering Abyss Pearlescent and it is a really cool looking finish.

For metal, yeah, good thoughts. But what about for the same desired effect in paint?
Check out Rust-oleum's Hammered (hammertone) paints. You can see what it looks like on Amazon. Something like part # 7214830

Look at the finishes this YouTube legend gets. The picture you put up on the RH side matches what he gets when he holds up his plastic spoon he sprayed at the 16:41 mark (LH side spoon)

Right. I used the same product on a mail box. It looks good, but like it says on the can, it looks like someone's been hammering on it, sort of dimply. It's a really nice look for some things, but not what I'm after.

Latest posts

Back