2017 Perseid meteor shower; who's watching?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
Well, I'm planning on watching it tonight. How about you guys?
I hope I can get some videos & pictures. It would be cool if some of us could share our experiences. :)

The peak is tonight!!

Thanks,

The amount of smoke in the atmosphere here in the pacific northwest will limit viewing. cough, cough...

I've been on this for a week...
No doubt I wanna see ...
But now I'm not certain the weather is going to cooperate...
I even checked out a light pollution map to see if I could find a dark place near me to go and watch...

Teddy

Chance of rain here still. We are getting our seasonal afternoon rains. Moon will be bright which doesn't help.
And it is so freaking humid at night I don't feel like getting out in it.
But I'd sure enough like to watch.

Chance of rain here still. We are getting our seasonal afternoon rains. Moon will be bright which doesn't help.
And it is so freaking humid at night I don't feel like getting out in it.
But I'd sure enough like to watch.

Yeah, I wish the rain would go away.
Thanks,

My next door neighbor was an astrophysics grad student. For many, many (TOO many..) years, we tramped out into the country, away from city lights to watch meteor showers. Perseid, Loenid, Orionids, Taurids; watched them all.

Never saw a dang thing.

Pretty clear skies here in Dallas area. I saw a couple while walking the dog. Gonna get up about three and check it out for a couple hours before heading into work. livemeteors.com has been quite busy tonight!

It got really cloudy here last night..
I was hoping the clouds would hold off for at least a few hours...
Nope...
The forecast showed last night was a better bet than tonight...

Next time..

Teddy

I went out last night. It was clear, but didn't see any meteors. I'll try again tonight.

Thanks,

My brother & I went out last night closer to 1 AM. There were no clouds, but that full moon ruined it.
We did see 4 meteors in about 15 minutes. :)

Thanks,

My brother & I went out last night closer to 1 AM. There were no clouds, but that full moon ruined it.
We did see 4 meteors in about 15 minutes. :)

Thanks,

Although the light from the moon may have caused problems, it cannot be a full moon one week before an eclipse. A week ago tomorrow it would have been full. An eclipse can only happen at the moment of a new moon.
The moon last night should have been like this, just slightly fuller:
a1e5339a5e93caf0fa30efa301637bfa.jpg

I have a network of skywatchers. A friend in Britain got in an unusual 4 hours before dawn and overcast washed him out and he reported good results but no trains or huge sizzlers. Another locally reported fair results from 2800' last night. We have a LOT of humidity here this weekend so we we have to get above 2000' to get out from under onshore flow. I'm trying tonight to go inland and perch about 2400' before I go to to work at 0400 hrs. Keep in mind the stream is elongated so you may see some of the lighter stuff come in Monday and Tuesday. Moon doesn't help with the hi alt stuff, tho'. Good luck watching!

We were up camping far from anywhere and above some of the PNW smoke. Saw a few meteors Friday night. Oddly, it was before it was full dark. Later on, there was nothing. My wife saw a big one, but nobody else was looking in the right direction. We've never been completely skunked when we look for the Perseids, even when we've been in a park inside the city limits.

I went out around midnight in Missouri for a couple nights but missed seeing anything but I didn't feel good and only was out for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Back